The ODB goes Turbo (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Or you can actually learn something new, become more knowledgeable about how the system works, and do it right the first time. This isn't anything new that hasn't been done before, so wasting money to try out sh
it that is of known and proven poor design is a fools errand.

Different strokes for different folks. Tinkering with readily available (and easily re-sell-able) used parts is fun and can potentially save a lot of money. He's already spent the money on the IC, so it's not like he's got anything to lose at this point. The temp sensor will provide more real-world empirical data than any amount of theory or research. Just one guy's $.02 :)

If the knowledge needed to interpret the data from the temp sensor doesn't exist, what's the point? Yeah, I'm sure he can tell the difference between hot and cold, but that gets him no closer to why it's too hot than just a wild as
s guess. What's up with the pushback against higher learning, expanding knowledge, and escaping the echo chamber of "let's try this to see if it works?" It's already been tried by the AMG guys, and it doesn't work, and they have two of them in their cars... and this guy is going to use one and expect good results? Lol... ok...

If you have a before IC temp and an after IC temp, seems like a pretty good measure of IC effectiveness to me, but I'm not an engineer. Full disclosure, I know nothing about these AMG intercoolers, and they may indeed be crap--I wouldn't know. I also have nothing against research, learning or any of that fun stuff. No pushback here. The only point I was trying to make is that different people and different personality types approach the project with a different perspective. I took what I would call the "wing it" approach with my turbo project, and I learned from the bumps along the way and the end result was pretty great aside from some exhaust leaks.

I apologize if I came off as snarky--nothing but good could come from reading up (other than the potential to over-think it and spend way too much in pursuit of the "ideal" setup--I do know a few people like that). But good can also come from experimenting with what you find and seeing how it does. That's all.

So, if the frozenboost intercooler is not so worderful, any suggestions on brands that have a good track record?

I'm going to install this intercooler with a temp sensor and gather some data. This will include eventual torture tests like high elevation, high temp, loaded down with camping gear runs.

I'd like to learn more about the theoretical side of turbos. I'm new to turbos but familiar with thermodynamics, heat transfer, fluid dynamics etc. I've modeled similar things with fea and matlab.

Nothing wrong with criticism, especially when knowledge and experience can back it up. What I'm doing here with the intercooler is very experimental. I have no information about it's internal construction. Just hoping that a cheap, plentiful, well built intercooler might be able to reject enough heat for the barely boosted crowd. My goal is not peak horsepower from a 1fzfe, just to mimic the factory supercharger with a little more hp. Keep stock ecu, fueling etc.

Next up is sizing and selecting the ic radiator, reservoir and pump. I intend to run antifreeze in this system since I spend time in the mountains. Researching how this will play in to component selection.

Also, found a welder who can TIG a new fitting to the pan. Is a male or female -10an bung preferred?

Update with some progress. Just did a test fit with the turbo and treadstone manifold. I haven't attached all of the nuts yet, just mounted everything up for downpipe and intake fabrication. It looks like some of the clearance issues in Heckraiser's build may have been addressed by the Treadstone. We will see how well the nuts fit once I go for the final attachment but at least the compressor housing has plenty of clearance. Still had to bash the water line a bit but that was expected.

I've noticed many turbo builds route the pcv and cc breather to same location pre compressor. It is my thinking that this would prevent the pcv from properly regulating the amount of vacuum like it is supposed to since the cc breather will pull vacuum regardless of pcv state. I understand the purpose of the pcv valve versus simply a tube is to prevent negative effects of excessive vacuum.

My current plan is to route the pcv to a pre compressor location with a catch can inline. Then put a filter vented to atmosphere on the cc breather. If this is inferior to routing both lines pre compressor please explain.

20180208_210052.jpg

20180208_200038.jpg

That PCV and CC routing should be OK. Only reason I joined the two and plumbed back into the intake was for potential emissions testing (they don't like those breather filters)

I've decided to go a completely different route, for more info please see: Bolt on turbo kit. :grinpimp:

For anyone going the diy route please don't let this discourage you, I'm sure it would be possible for someone with more resources and time than myself to do an awesome build with these components. Really all that needs to be done is the intake and downpipe plumbing, which is where things got complicated for me. This is my dd and I had a small window of down time to do the entire install.

I'll be posting the turbo, manifold and wastegate on the classifieds for anyone interested in starting their own turbo build.

Things don't end here, I just got my manifolds and heat shields ceramic coated. Also, I'll be wiring up a wideband afr, boost gauge, intake temp, and oil temp gauges in preparation for the bolt on kit.

I've decided to go a completely different route, for more info please see: Bolt on turbo kit. :grinpimp:

For anyone going the diy route please don't let this discourage you, I'm sure it would be possible for someone with more resources and time than myself to do an awesome build with these components. Really all that needs to be done is the intake and downpipe plumbing, which is where things got complicated for me. This is my dd and I had a small window of down time to do the entire install.

I'll be posting the turbo, manifold and wastegate on the classifieds for anyone interested in starting their own turbo build.

Things don't end here, I just got my manifolds and heat shields ceramic coated. Also, I'll be wiring up a wideband afr, boost gauge, intake temp, and oil temp gauges in preparation for the bolt on kit.

Good luck with the Evolving adventure....
I am just about to start my Boost project. Have been following and will start my own blog shortley.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom