The Mysterious 1973 T-Case Shift Boot (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
instagram.com
Hey all. I noticed something interesting. So I have an FJ40 built in May of 1973 and I am having a hard time finding a boot for my transfer case shifter. Hear me out...

Cool Cruisers sells shift boots up to 9/1972, and past 9/1973, but nothing in between those months. So, if you have a truck built between september of 72 and september of 73 like I do, you can't get a shift boot that will fit correctly. See the pic I attached.

sssswwwww.JPG

Also, Cruisercorps has the exact same thing on their website. They don't sell a shift boot between 9/72 and 9/73. Which leads me to believe that it wasn't just an error on Cool Cruisers' end.

Does anybody know what this is all about? Why would Toyota make a different shift boot just for 12 months? And where can I find one? Thanks in advance if you have any info!

Yes, it is a one-year-only boot. Larger version of the smaller ‘72 triangular type.

I haven’t had one to sell in this century.

Yes, it is a one-year-only boot. Larger version of the smaller ‘72 triangular type.

I haven’t had one to sell in this century.
Interesting. Thanks for the info. Any idea where I can find one? Or why they did that? haha

No. Just as weird they had a one year only transmission boot for the 3 speed in 1974.

I was surprised to see such a small gap of months that had a one off part especially for the shifter. Wierd. Did you try the dealer. You have it right on the part numbers for sure. That may be the only place that has one who knows.

I was surprised to see such a small gap of months that had a one off part especially for the shifter. Wierd. Did you try the dealer. You have it right on the part numbers for sure. That may be the only place that has one who knows.
Good idea. I bet it's expensive though.

I happened to be around my 2/73 FST FJ40. I noticed the boot was missing in pictures I had. I had removed the transfer years ago and found I put the boot in the glovebox. Leather is bad but metal ring is good. The ring is two pieces held together with what looks like small aluminum rivets. SOR show replacement leather boot. Probably pick one up unless anyone knows of another option?

IMG_20200505_165627357.jpg

Last edited:
Found this thread and hoping someone has some success with finding a replacement, using the SOR option or adapting a post 9/73 part? I have a late 72 build, ring is good, boot is trashed.

I have a 7/72 FJ40. Back in the 80's I couldn't find the boot. I sewed one up from a section of old canvas water proof floor. I drilled out the pop rivets and installed my "boot". Still there and still works. The 3 speed tranny boot went bad, so I got a round boot, made the correct hole in a coffee can lid and screwed or glued the new boot in place - still there and still works.

The stock fuel pump and filter for mine was a 1 year only production, when it went bad I threw that stuff away and never looked back/ No clue why "they" build things like that; almost as annoying as having both sae and metric on the same rig.

@73FJTampa mine is an Aug'73.

The outer cover was in a miserable shape.

IMG_5018.JPG

I carefully dissected it, cut a pattern from some cloth backed vinyl from a fabric store probably 30minutes total invested in it on the sewing machine. Still happy with it. And yes, that is an old shoe lace. :)

20210929_094210.jpg

IMG_5294.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom