The MOVE is scheduled... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pjohnson

SILVER Star
Threads
We're moving to Meridian.. FINALLY!

Sold the house in CA and will be moved in by the end of the month, barring any serious snow on the roads. Will be driving an RV with the animals the last week of Nov.

Can anyone tell me which route is the best for this time of year?

I know there will likely be snow by the last week of November, but does that dictate a north to OR then east route or is the road through NV then north into ID still safe? How well is that route maintained/plowed?

Looking forward to more freedom and like minded folks.

Phil

If Donner Summit is open over I-80, I find that the easiest/best route ... if it isn't, then maybe go North; but in more than 50 trips over Sierra have only gone north a couple times (e.g. Feather River Canyon HWY 70 or further N thru OR).

Any concerns with mountains other than the Sierras? Those I know pretty well.

Nope ... a little rise outside Rome and then another hill between OR border and Snake River ... valleys are mostly 4000' ... cops hang out +/- 20 miles around Burns Junction and Jordan Valley in OR.

Cool :smokin:

Yeah, Oregon cops are notarized tax collectors.

With road cams these days, pretty easy to see which route is going to be best. I-5 Siskyu Summit near Ashland, and I-84 Cabbage Hill near La Grande are the two noteworthy Interstate passes in Oregon. Better options probably exist with a bit of planning.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom