Builds Mountain Goat (BJ74) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here we go!

This last weekend I was able to land my first diesel land cruiser a 1988 BJ74. My previous and first land cruiser was a 1993 FZJ80 which was great but lacked character.

This thread will be dedicated to build and maintenance. A good way to keep a log on this 30 year old truck. After driving it home almost 150 miles. My lady (who convinced me to get the 74) and I decided that an appropriate title for this truck will be Mountain Goat.

So here’s a little synopsis:

It’s got 368,000 kilometers on the 13-bt / 5speed h55 tranny. It has a front manual spartan locker. A OME 2 inch lift. It’s got sliders, front, and rear bumper. I was worried about rust after seeing a lot of other cases. Fortunately it looks like it was patched. Although there are little patches bubbling and visible I’m glad it’s not rot.

Here are the things that I need to do:

-Oil Change/Filter. I’m going to use Rotella 15-40
-Flush the Radiator and change over to Preston’s Green (don’t judge).
-Flush and fill brake fluid.
-Service both axles and t-case.
-Have a beer.
-Windshield has a nice crack.
-Front brakes need servicing.
-Front axle needs to be rebuilt.
-Rear main seal drips.
-Oil pan is leaking.
-Oil drain plug is like a leaking sink atm. (fixed)
-Turbo doesn’t sound so hot. Either look into it or find an aftermarket solution. (rebuilt)
-Truck won’t turn off unless I stall it (which hurts my soul) . I’m suspecting the VCV or vacuum hoses. (fixed)
-Change all vacuum hoses. (fixed)
-Half of my dash cluster is not lit and my radio doesn’t work along with all dash lights.
-Headlights only work on high-beam. (fixed)
-Do some rust PM and clean while I’m in there.

As of now that’s all that I’ve gotten myself into. I’m sure there’s more to come but I hope with some better maintenance and care it’s not anything horrible.

As for the things I want to do:

-Replace all shocks with Tough Dog.
-Find an ARB front bumper.
-Learn to weld and make a rear swing out.
-Make more ergonomic sliders. I’m going to go with a similar design to BIOR’s step slider.
-Maybe a couple solar panels to power all my 12v accessories on an independent system.
-Line the interior with insulation and clean the carpet. (done)
-Upgrade the stereo system. (done)
-Get some sort of winch or nag the PO to send me the PTO.
-Retint the windows.
-Get 17 inch Steelies and look into 35’s (One day). (looks like I'll be doing 16 inch steelies)

Now a little about me. My name is Alika and I was Born and raised in Maui and am in San Diego going to school to be a M.D. I’m broker than your average BJ74 owner but thats okay! I think I’m better off pursuing stitches and incisions than wrenching. I’ve come to terms that I’ll never make a good mechanic, but I’ll try my hand at wrenching and electrical work.

For the meantime I’m going to drive the Goat. Read and learn as much as I can, order parts, spend money I don’t have. But hopefully make friends and contacts on the forum and enjoy this truck to it’s full potential! Many questions to come!

BJ74 Documents - Google Drive

A0B4FBA0-B099-4F84-ABAA-2486FCEF3E50.jpeg

Last edited:
So today I had some free time so I spent it taking apart some of the interior. I spent a few minutes trying to remove the rear seat bolts to figure out that it had a female nut under the chassis. Whoops. So I continued to take off the door panels and rear carpet. So much dirt and so much sand oh my! I was sneezing and my eyes were watering! I’ll be taking a magic eraser to some of the trim and lighter pieces and continuing the dismantle of the interior. I was also able to solve my sticky door handles and locks with some WD-40.

43447D46-47D7-4885-AC96-40620EB65AE1.jpeg

CC95C46E-6361-4C7B-A739-54803349BA73.jpeg

C3D2A071-32A4-4489-884C-4DEE84A6E66B.jpeg

Last edited:
Hinge the screen forward and check for rust....Mine looked mint from the out side but the lip the seal sits on was almost completely gone . The bastards rust from the inside out....Its worth checking even if its good just so you know .. I bought a new rubber seal but it leaked so i reinstalled it with lots of urethane .( id just reuse the old one if i ever did it again )

20171028_181914.jpg

22780432_2035249460090897_3524338248202012177_n.jpg

The bastards rust from the inside out....Its worth checking even if its good just so you know ..

View attachment 1648305

View attachment 1648306

I sure will look into that area. I kind of don’t want to know based off of fear but I’ll be taking the top off as soon as San Diego gets into the 80’s. I’ll inspect it then.

Also I’d like to thank @perrobravo for answering my questions on an early Saturday morning. It made the decision to get this a lot easier! Thanks Jeff!

On another note I guess the PO took off the rear wiper blades so I have the sending unit and the bottle housing if anyone wants it, just shoot me a shipping label and it’s yours.

042B7537-9EE7-455F-B922-BFE5572C6DAF.jpeg

Welcome!:beer: This is the absolute best community to have any and all questions answered.

Socal is a perfect place for a clean 70 series to bask in the sun.

I might have a need for that 24v rear glass spray stuff.

On my way to school I noticed an occasionally stiff clutch. I thinking this is all tying into that occasional inhabiting to turn off that I was experiencing yesterday. Hoping it’s not the master clutch or the slave. I’d imagine they’re not available anymore which would suck haha.
Anyone have thoughts on it?

Last edited:
I’m also thinking maybe my stiff clutch is the result of a HG failure.
:worms:

Last edited:
Huh? How do those correlate?

Before jumping to conclusions, do a leak down and a compression test.

Don’t go off the deep end just yet.
They dont haha, Im not one bit worried about the engine.
I just drove to lunch and had to stall it to get it to turn off. Do you have any suggestions on what I should do to find the culprit. Ive been reading a lot about the VSV but dont really understand that concept yet. Also what is a better way to turn it off instead of stalling out?

Hello,

Welcome to the madness.

16 inch steel wheels and skinny 33/35 in. tires are a better choice for your truck.

Your rear seat should fold before bending forward when you pull the handle. You may want to disassemble it for a thorough cleanup. Same for the front seats. Do you have suspension seats?

Your to-do list in long. As suggested above, do not go off the deep end. 70 Series are much sturdier than they look; if you take care of the basics they will keep going while issues are fixed.

While Land Cruiser ownership is not cheap, it is possible if you manage your budget.

Juan

Hello,

Welcome to the madness.

16 inch steel wheels and skinny 33/35 in. tires are a better choice for your truck.

Your rear seat should fold before bending forward when you pull the handle. You may want to disassemble it for a thorough cleanup. Same for the front seats. Do you have suspension seats?

Your to-do list in long. As suggested above, do not go off the deep end. 70 Series are much sturdier than they look; if you take care of the basics they will keep going while issues are fixed.

While Land Cruiser ownership is not cheap, it is possible if you manage your budget.

Juan
Thanks for the words! I Was trying to figure out why the second row wouldn’t fold. Had me at a loss but I’ll do a further inspection.

Last edited:
Finally had a couple hours today to squeeze in some interior stripping and cleaning. Found a couple light rust spots so I sanded it down to bare metal, Ill be picking up an inhibitor and neutralizer tomorrow to clean up to exposed steel with. Then Im going to clean it all again spray some 3M super 77 and lay down some heat insulation. Im surprised as to how dirty the underside was! I couldn't even show the picture its so scary haha. I also found the 24v to 12v converter which is cool. Im learning more and more about the Goat as I dissect it. I gave the carpet a much needed power wash with some detergent to help with the smells. After I study tomorrow I will probably soak the old tint in some chemicals and attempt to remove it. I also removed the rear A/C. I have the pigtail for the button and can remove some of the wires if anyone wants it. Not sure if it works or not.

Edit: I forgot to add that I found 4 blown fuses that need replacing from the P/O jumping the truck incorrectly. Gotta love fuses.

IMG_2655.jpg

IMG_2666.jpg

IMG_2632.jpg

Last edited:
I also have this sitting in checkout. Best prices I could find so far, shipping to my doorsteps will about $110USD. If anyone could do a quick check to make sure that this is the windshield replacement I need (Have Weather Strip/Gasket already) that would be great. I wasn't able to find the oil pan gasket. Does anyone know the P/N for that?
I also was able to score 5 FJ cruiser wheels for $200USD. Changes and improvements to come!

Screen Shot 2018-03-08 at 10.15.55 PM.png

In the next 3 weeks or so I will be cutting the current sliders off and re-surfacing them if anyone is interested in them. The proceeds will go to funding an Amazon welder!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom