The (failed) Moonshine Camper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm moving back to NC, get my new home ready!

Pick up a flatbed utility trailer and you have a tiny home! That way you can keep your 100. We got a place out here somewhere west of Pittsboro for ya - maybe a commune even!

Pick up a flatbed utility trailer and you have a tiny home! That way you can keep your 100. We got a place out here somewhere west of Pittsboro for ya - maybe a commune even!

I'd have a lot more $$ thats for sure!

Lots more work and figuring done today. Thanks to @Fort Knox and @DeeRex for coming by to lend a hand! Mini hamom at the house today.

New front lower wall repaired, insulated, new window framed, insulated and sheeted today. Felt big. Have more window framing to do to get the side walls squared away.

Next up (all at once), removing the existing roof, replacing the roof, rewiring 12v and 120v systems, framing in the new windows, insulating and sheeting the whole thing.

Piece of cake, right? Lol

IMG_20190504_154446.jpg

IMG_20190504_164715.jpg

IMG_20190504_174800.jpg

when I see your sheathing I keep thinking FRP....

The rest of the tin is now gone! Thank ****ing god. Open air campers are cool right?

Found more rot that needs to be fixed, including much of the kitchen wall. Its looking less and less likely that this will be ready for GSMTR, but it's all the way open, so can't stop now.

Going to replace the counter with an old butcher block workbench top that I've got in the garage. With that the kitchen sink will change. Right now there's a double basin sink that seems like a waste of space, along with jenky ass plumbing. Undetermined how that's going to be fixed at this point, but I'm thinking single basin undermout sink with a grey water tank for the drain. Maybe not, idk. Urinal? Lol

MVIMG_20190506_191113.jpg

IMG_20190506_191318.jpg

MVIMG_20190506_201601.jpg

MVIMG_20190506_201614.jpg

Last edited:
Never buy an old, leaky slide in is right. Jesus christ.

Went to remove the kitchen wall today and realized that the rear wall had to be rebuilt first, or else there wouldn't be anything to attach the new kitchen wall to. Upside is that we got to make the Ac pass through stronger (by rebuilding it) , so that's good. Roof leaks ****ing suck.

Onwards and upwards.

Before:
IMG_20190507_182622.jpg

After:

IMG_20190507_202425.jpg

Damn JC, sorry dude. It's as if you started from scratch on this thing. Good thing is, it should last you several decades.

Nasty melamine gone, new wall in. Didn't take any in progress pics, but the entire wall came off to make a template, then new wall put in its place. Tomorrow we'll finish framing this wall, including the new window opening. Hopefully we'll also start framing the roof.

Onwards and upwards.

IMG_20190508_203408.jpg

Just think, it will have that new house smell. Old parts make great templates.

Roof started going on today.

Supposed to rain all weekend, which means I have no chance of having this thing ready for gsmtr. Sucks, but this gives me more time to get it finished.

Top section has tapered roof members to give the roof a bit of a crown for promoting proper drainage. Pretty mild crown, so bending the plywood sheathing to match won't be hard.

Despite the inability to have this ready for gsmtr, I'm still stoked to have the roof coming together.

MVIMG_20190509_183951.jpg

IMG_20190509_183858.jpg

Clarifying post. Due to the rain, we elected to skip the wall framing to focus on the roof, so we can tarp it while I'm at gsmtr.

Scope is changing again, but for the better. We're going whole hog and making this the final revision camper. Have replaced three out of four walls already. Why not rebuild the back wall to make it what I wanted originally, and move the door. NBD, right?

It'll be done some day. Sketchup design comes into play now, with the interior cabinets and seating modeled this time, with the sink we picked, and our existing stove.

This new floor plan requires significant reframing, but to the 1.5 walls that I haven't fully rebuilt, so it doesn't feel like a step back.

Since all of this has to be reframed, and considering that both the roof and the bottom is all 1.5" thick material (2x3s, 2x4s, 2x6s) I think it makes sense to frame the walls with 2x3s. Gives me more room for insulation, more room for wiring, more room for plumbing, etc. Also saves me the time of ripping down a ton of 3/4 plywood to create framing.

Feels really big inside now :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom