Builds The Mongrel: FJ62 body + FZJ80 chassis + turbo diesel + ??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am considering simplifying this project. Using the diesel motor in another project and putting a v8 in this truck.

If I went v8 all I need is the motor and wiring plus ECM, fairly cheap to get a 5.3L from a j/y or whatever. Then I just need a NV4500 bellhousing and clutch stuff. Where as if I use the diesel I need a Scout bell housing, work out clutch stuff and buy clutch and it needs a new input shaft I have installed in the NV4500 to allow it to be mated to the diesel.

I am considering putting the diesel in this

https://forum.ih8mud.com/chit-chat/676993-1977-nissan-patrol-ute-built-trails.html

I do have a diesel for that truck but it is old and tired and non-turbo. By using the engine in that truck I keep things more simple. The 77 Patrol keeps the Nissan drivetrain, I have a new performance clutch, new 5spd and new t-case that bolts right up to the diesel motor. Where as if I want to use the diesel in the FJ62 I need a Scout bell housing, work out clutch details and buy clutch, change input shaft in the NV4500 I have (I do have the shaft) and then mate it to the diesel.

What do you think, should I keep on track and use the diesel in the Cruiser? Or just simplify the project and put a v8 in front of the NV4500 and Atlas?

I am just thinking about this, nothing decided yet at all.

Cheers

I am considering simplifying this project. Using the diesel motor in another project and putting a v8 in this truck.

If I went v8 all I need is the motor and wiring plus ECM, fairly cheap to get a 5.3L from a j/y or whatever. Then I just need a NV4500 bellhousing and clutch stuff. Where as if I use the diesel I need a Scout bell housing, work out clutch stuff and buy clutch and it needs a new input shaft I have installed in the NV4500 to allow it to be mated to the diesel.

I am considering putting the diesel in this

https://forum.ih8mud.com/chit-chat/676993-1977-nissan-patrol-ute-built-trails.html

I do have a diesel for that truck but it is old and tired and non-turbo. By using the engine in that truck I keep things more simple. The 77 Patrol keeps the Nissan drivetrain, I have a new performance clutch, new 5spd and new t-case that bolts right up to the diesel motor. Where as if I want to use the diesel in the FJ62 I need a Scout bell housing, work out clutch details and buy clutch, change input shaft in the NV4500 I have (I do have the shaft) and then mate it to the diesel.

What do you think, should I keep on track and use the diesel in the Cruiser? Or just simplify the project and put a v8 in front of the NV4500 and Atlas?

I am just thinking about this, nothing decided yet at all.

Cheers

I agree, the Nissan motor should stay in a Patrol, but please complete this build. I had not been following the Ute build, so now I have to go catch up on that one. You're a busy dude! Anything you can do to make the pics work better in that thread?

Lot of cool diesel options out there for the 60 series yotas...

I say stay with the Diesel option...
Last I remember you said you wanted to build a rig to take you anywhere...
Diesel has range... Gassers dont.. !!

There is something sexy about getting 20+ mpg.....from a diesel engine....

Well I got two opinions from two guys who's opinions are different but I value both! Ha!

I am likely sticking to my plan, it has just been on my mind lately to change plans! Kind of typical with me. :rolleyes:

I have also considered not using the portals and actually listed them for sale not to long ago. It just simplifies things not using them. Thing is I have xxx amount of money in the portals and can't let them go for x amount.

I also got to get the 77 Patrol out of my way before I can focus on the Mongrel. The whole point of this truck was to downsize to just one truck to do it all. The problem is I have to many trucks to focus on just one. A Pinzgauer got in the way last summer, I had no plans to buy it but sometimes you come across deals you can't turn down. I had no plans to trade the Pinz for a v8 80-series but again, offers come along sometimes you can't refuse! And I really dislike not having some sort of truck to use, DD a work truck sucks and camping out of one sucks worse!

The other problem is I do not have a shop big enough for two projects. And then there is splitting up what cash I have for trucks between three trucks! Delimas I know and self created one at that! Regardless, this truck will get built, sooner or later. And I don't think I am the only guy who takes forever to build a truck. The only progress I made on this build in 2013 was to get the NV4500 and the Atlas but hey those were big steps. Perhaps in 2014 I can get the suspension stuff I need and start doing something other than day dreaming. :eek:

Cheers

Don't you already have a V-8 80 series now? Seems almost redundant other than this one would be a 62 series body...heck, just put the 62 series body on your V-8 80 series chassis and be done if you want to.

Maybe get that really focused resto Patrol done, and see if your attitude changes back toward the original plan on the Mongrel.

Then again, I'd just like to have a diesel so I'm a bit biased.

Pictures

I suspect the answer is going to be something to the affect of "you're an idiot" and having now said that, why can't I see any of the pictures? Am I the only one that can't?

I suspect the answer is going to be something to the affect of "you're an idiot" and having now said that, why can't I see any of the pictures? Am I the only one that can't?

Haha, that is to the point and what I may need to hear!

You guys are right, I do have a v8 Cruiser. If this is what I want I should just work with what I got now.

I am going to stay the course, it was just on my mind a lot lately to try and simplify things. And I got 4 trucks which is to many. I am going to need to sell at least two of them. I think I can justify two trucks even if they are both Cruisers! Fact of the matter is, when I take all this gear I have laying around and build two trucks, I am still left with a ton of gear! Probably enough to at least build another truck half assed. Anyone like me will tell you, this hobby is a sickness and I was very sick in the past. I am trying to get better! :lol:

Oh and about the pictures, most are long gone, I let my website go. The videos of the engine are still on page one and a few more pictures can be found here and there in the thread. I will see what I can do about adding some more.

Cheers

Last edited:
Did some online window shopping recently for this truck. Giving myself a solid list and cost, sharing this with the rest of you! So a more realistic breakdown of cost and parts needed goes like this.

King 2.5 12" coil overs for front: $1750 w/o springs for a set, + $100-250 each for springs.
King rear reservoir shocks 12": $1000 for a set
New Spidertrax axle housing: $700 and may just try to salvage the rear housing so I only need to replace the front.
Spidertrax axle flanges, may or may not need: $500 each
Warn f/w hubs: $275
PSC Heep Saginaw HD top of the line steering box: $800 new
Sway bars, have not decided, Currie is what I would like to use but they are $400+ each!
Misc fab parts: $200-300
Misc items like tie rod, drag link, pitman arm, steering stabilizer: $500
IH Scout SD33T bellhousing and engine plate: $$?? hoping to find used for cheap
Scout flywheel or Chevy flywheel?? I think it will work out that I use the Nissan SD33T flywheel which I have.
Chevy clutch: $500 for performance top of the line. The Nissan turbo diesel flywheel is big enough to run a 12" clutch.

That is about it but it looks like I am needing a chunk of change to get everything I need to start building. Ideally having all this in hand is needed to start the build. My guess is that won't be in my budget until at least June/July. There is a few other things like ring & pinions for the 9" 3rds but this and other items are not needed to start the build process.

None of that above list is really set in stone but I am pretty set on using Kings and C/O's in front, hopefully 12" won't be to long with the portals as I need some kind of wheel travel! 10" just seems like I would be getting to short. I am also pretty set on a top of the line Saginaw p/s box and a new front Spidertrax housing plus changing to f/w hubs. The Scout bellhousing and plate plus Chevy clutch are a must and need to be my next purchases. Looking at things more recently, studying a lot of pictures, I may try to triangulate the rear with long arms and dump the panhard, keep it on coil springs though. I have nice 7075 links I sure would like to use, I could get them chopped down and re-threaded if they end up being to long. And dumping the panhard sure makes a shock reconfiguration behind the axle much easier. Not to mention I would not have to remove everything from my rear axle in terms of bracketry as it is already set up for a tri 4-link in a chassis very similar to the 80's.

Also what do you guys think about bushings for the links? I am not going to use heim joints because I don't want to be changing them out or rebuilding every 10,000 miles. Plus they can squeak a lot. At this time I am planning to keep it radius arm in front. However, Johnny Joints or a similar orbital joint is on my mind and I think the radius arms could be modified to accept them. Also pondering making my own rod ends but using OEM 80 rubber bushes in them, for example on the rear 7075 links. Do you think the OEM bushes are up to the task of the portal plus the TD? With the Atlas + NV4500 I can gear down to nearly 100:1 and I wonder if the OEM rubber bushes can take the forces, remember the portal multiplies it.

Cheers

Last edited:
A some what new development. For a long time now I have felt really limited without having a full on shop. As seen earlier in the thread I put a small shop together but it just isn't really what I need for taking on such an big project. I really need some space to tear the axles out of the Patrol, take the FJ62 body off it's frame and build a rotisserie for it, tear down the axles, get engine + trans + t-case all bolted together. Have the chassis set up with area to work. On top of this I have another project and my 80 is kind of turning into a project! On top of this I have nearly four trucks worth of junk in my tiny shop and one outdoor storage tent. It is kind of a s*** show!

So any ways, I need a friggin' shop. Just so happens there is a nice big 2,000+sqft. shop right next to my house. Concrete floors, floor drains, insulated, hydronic floor heat. I rented it for a few years like 10yrs ago but it was just to much rent back then. Any ways, the county has come down on us here at the property. It is zoned residential and my landlord has had the shop rented to two contractors for 5yrs or more. I own a landscape business but since I live on the property the county worked with me to acquire a home occupancy permit for my business. So I am all good! But I live here which in turn means I am the only dude on the property who is supposed to do anything commercial and it is very limited. Any ways, the other guys got to get out of the shop and the landlord can't rent it to contractors anymore. Only I can occupy it! This has been going on for nearly 1.5yrs but it is finally developed into this. I have known my landlord 18yrs so we have kind of worked it all out. Looks like I will be getting the shop and probably for a bargain price if much at all. The shop is literally 50ft off my front porch.

This is monumental for me as the shop is big enough to have four + trucks in various stages being worked on at any given time. And plenty of room for much more. A lot of my crap right now is snowed in. :rolleyes:

Cheers

Teton county is a blast! Mud season fast approaching, you'll soon have everything in the shop.
Focus man! It's tough having those dilemmas.

Teton county is a blast! Mud season fast approaching, you'll soon have everything in the shop.
Focus man! It's tough having those dilemmas.

I could bitch about TC but they cut me a lot of slack during all this and did work with me and did approve my permit. It is JH after all and not the good ole days. It is a bummer for the contractors in the shop, one is a friend of mine and a good guy. I am sick of having commercial operations right next to my house though. I don't conduct business on the property other than my office, just keep some stuff here which is one of the reasons they issued me a permit.

Mud season can be fun on a number of trails I like to run around. Breaking trail on them makes them tough double locked when you can drive them in 2wd all summer. By your location it looks like you are in my area. If you ever want to do some wheeling hit me up. Usually just mild camping stuff but sometime we hit up Saint Anthony or find tougher trails. Discovered some sweet ones up by Salmon, Idaho last summer. Always wanted to run the Morrison Jeep Trail, hope to do that this summer. Or if you just want to shoot the s*** about Cruisers drop me a line.

Cheers

Sounds like it was meant to be, RMP&O.

Thanks and I hear ya. Cards fall where they may and if it benefits me, great! I need a frigg'in shop badly!

Cheers

Well, it is official. I met with Teton County yesterday here on the property and they have no issues with me or my stuff. They should be issuing me a permit next week. They do have an issue with commercial operations in the shop, the landlord gave the contractors in the shop 60-days notice. Teton County will come back in 60-days to make sure the shop is vacant. At that point I am in! So about June 1st.

Cheers

The snow is gone, pulled out the FZJ80 chassis. Cut off all the body mounts, ground them all back down! :eek:

10003969_512331522211926_584476291454616456_n.jpg

1554431_512331715545240_2540437880670131264_n.jpg

Cut out the rear cross member too. :)

1480613_512331792211899_1038460905692470018_n.jpg

Cheers

By the way, my buddy is building this....

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/th...lass-go-fast-build.799397/page-4#post-9140305

He has claim and I donated the axles to that project. He just needs the knuckle balls and the rear flanges but it means the axles are going bye bye soon. So I will probably pull the axles soon and torch off the remaining stuff on the frame, ie the engine mounts, shock towers and front coil buckets. My buddy is also using the 2" 7075 links under the Patrol in that build. So the axles under the Patrol are going to come out soon. Which means time to start mocking up the axles under this chassis before long! After that, cut the chassis down 5 inches!

Cheers

By the way, my buddy is building this....

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/th...lass-go-fast-build.799397/page-4#post-9140305

He has claim and I donated the axles to that project. He just needs the knuckle balls and the rear flanges but it means the axles are going bye bye soon. So I will probably pull the axles soon and torch off the remaining stuff on the frame, ie the engine mounts, shock towers and front coil buckets. My buddy is also using the 2" 7075 links under the Patrol in that build. So the axles under the Patrol are going to come out soon. Which means time to start mocking up the axles under this chassis before long! After that, cut the chassis down 5 inches!

Cheers

Right on time for the new shop!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom