Builds "The Milk Truck" FJ45 Preservation Sorta (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It is no flex monster but I think it rides better than leaf springs, or maybe I am just saying that to justify my work. šŸ˜

I drove up on a rock to test the limits of the suspension. The front wheels did not move much. The rear flexed better and is just shy of contacting the fender well, maybe a half inch before it would contact the upper edge. I will need to add an inch to the rear bump stops to prevent that.

Otherwise it handled well on and off pavement. It had plenty of go for me and the low range gears in the transfer case combined with the transmission low range are plenty low enough to do what I want with it.

Overall very happy with it!

IMG_6512.jpeg

IMG_6520.jpeg

IMG_6513.jpeg

IMG_6516.jpeg

@SipLife
Thanks, I appreciate all the support on this journey which is not over but this is certainly a moment to enjoy. Watching you build your own and others on the forum certainly help to inspire me to keep grinding away at it.

It is no flex monster but I think it rides better than leaf springs, or maybe I am just saying that to justify my work. šŸ˜

I drove up on a rock to test the limits of the suspension. The front wheels did not move much. The rear flexed better and is just shy of contacting the fender well, maybe a half inch before it would contact the upper edge. I will need to add an inch to the rear bump stops to prevent that.

Otherwise it handled well on and off pavement. It had plenty of go for me and the low range gears in the transfer case combined with the transmission low range are plenty low enough to do what I want with it.

Overall very happy with it!

View attachment 3335178
View attachment 3335181
View attachment 3335184
View attachment 3335185
That is a helluva test track, nice scenery. Congrats on your test run.

Thanks, Northern New Mexico
Nice! Weā€™re up in Colorado for the week. Beautiful weather right now. We did drive through an insane amount of rain and hail in northern New Mexico on Friday!

Nice! Weā€™re up in Colorado for the week. Beautiful weather right now. We did drive through an insane amount of rain and hail in northern New Mexico on Friday!
I can see how the weather could get crazy up there. we were close to toas the whole time. it was really nice I would go back for sure. I kept saying my 40 would be sooo fun to drive out there. anyways @Tank5 Love what you have done to yours! You may have said already but any plans for a top?

Thanks for the kind words.

@Bripars40, that was probably the same storm that hailed on us. Not big enough to dent or break anything, always good to have moisture however it comes, mostly.

@Rostedchestnuts I am down in the Jemez Mountains, not far from Taos which is also a nice place to visit. I have the hard top that came on it and plan to put it on but it needs some work before it is ready. When it is all done it will have a full top and doors.

Thanks for the kind words.

@Bripars40, that was probably the same storm that hailed on us. Not big enough to dent or break anything, always good to have moisture however it comes, mostly.

@Rostedchestnuts I am down in the Jemez Mountains, not far from Taos which is also a nice place to visit. I have the hard top that came on it and plan to put it on but it needs some work before it is ready. When it is all done it will have a full top and doors.
Nice I cant wait to see the top! I just did some fiberglass work on my top. Its nice to have the doors and top back on but makes me want a soft top. A good friend of mine just moved to Taos. Next time I am in the area I will let you know! id love to see the Milk truck in person.

@Roastchestnuts Absolutely let me know next time you are out this way. I do have intentions to build some bows to be able to run a soft top and bikini top but I want to finish the hard top first. So many little things to do still.

I didnā€™t share before but when testing the throttle response for full effectiveness I had the 45 up to 80 MPH (per the odometer) and it felt pretty good. I am not certain the odometer is calibrated correctly but if it is, the 45 gets up to speed pretty quickly.

Have to applaud the amount of work you put into this Dennis. If I don't get to check it out before then, I'll be at WSMR this fall for work and will have to make my way up to you. Need to get my annual Las Conchas walk in.
Thanks for the kind words, it has been a mountain of work and learning. Absolutely, next time you are up this way let me know. Los Conches is a great short trail. It gets really busy there during the summer. What is WSMR?

Thanks for the kind words, it has been a mountain of work and learning. Absolutely, next time you are up this way let me know. Los Conches is a great short trail. It gets really busy there during the summer. What is WSMR?
White Sands Missile Range. Will do, any chance you will make it up to solid axle this year?

White Sands Missile Range. Will do, any chance you will make it up to solid axle this year?
Copy, I was thinking that was some sort of event.

I will be returning from another trip at the time SAS will be getting started. Not sure if I can make the turn around that quick. I f anything I may try to drive up for the end of it. Trying to keep it in mind as an option.

Last edited:
I sorted out most of my electrical issues and I didnā€™t have to dig too deep. Sometimes I get lucky and the simplest solution is the answer.

I must have been excited or tired when I installed the gauge cluster, I found it helps if you install the data cable. Easy fix but the tach and fuel gauges are not working, still have to sort those out.
IMG_6522.jpeg

My brake lights and turn signals were running constantly which prevented them and the hazards from working correctly. I found the brake light switch was a hair shy of engaging the brake panel. Adjusted it and it solved all those issues.

Last, the reverse lights are not coming on so I need to sort that out.

I sorted out most of my electrical issues and I didnā€™t have to dig too deep. Sometimes I get lucky and the simplest solution is the answer.

I must have been excited or tired when I installed the gauge cluster, I found it helps if you install the data cable. Easy fix but the tach and fuel gauges are not working, still have to sort those out.
View attachment 3337352

My brake lights and turn signals were running constantly which prevented them and the hazards from working correctly. I found the brake light switch was a hair shy of engaging the brake panel. Adjusted it and it solved all those issues.

Last, the reverse lights are not coming on so I need to sort that out.
Had the same issue with one of those recently for the fuel gauge. Required following and re-doing their calibration procedure several times. In the end I added an extra ground wire and it was fine after that, so possibly I was getting only an intermittent ground.

I am not sure if these strap retainers are stock or not but I found ā€œJapanā€ printed on the bottom with what looks like a partial part number. They cleaned up nicely.

IMG_6538.jpeg

IMG_6541.jpeg

I have been working on the upper cab back and roof. I repaired some holes that PO added at some point and repaired some rusty sections on the top and bottom after removing 11 broken bolts.

IMG_6533.jpeg

IMG_6530.jpeg

IMG_6532.jpeg

IMG_6535.jpeg

IMG_6542.jpeg

IMG_6548.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom