Builds "The Milk Truck" FJ45 Preservation Sorta (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I got the gauge cluster and almost all of the dash put together. The to do list is getting shorter. I am just waiting on parts to arrive.

IMG_6418.jpeg

That is looking sharp! Nice job man

I have been waiting on the windshield gasket adhesive for a while before I could start on the windshield but after rummaging through some parts boxes the other night I found this from a prior purchase I forgot about.
IMG_6453.jpeg

I got excited and pulled the gasket out to install the windshield. I ordered the gasket at least a couple years ago from SOR, never opened it, turns out it is a one piece gasket and doesn’t even need the adhesive. Happy surprise but I could of had the windshield done a few weeks ago if I had looked first.

I found the Utube videos I watch didn’t work for me. Trying to get the gasket to stay on the glass outside of the frame was not working. I ended up installing the gasket in the windshield frame on the truck first. Then installed the glass into the rubber gasket. No string or rope tool would have worked. I did the install solo and not having the roof on the 45 was key to me doing it this way.

IMG_6471.jpeg

I used some plastic glass levers and 303 protector spray as my lubricant to get the glass in. I bought a used lock strip install tool and I would recommend it for anyone doing this job. It made installing the locking strip so much easier.
IMG_6472.jpeg

Probably took me about an hour doing it alone.

I am waiting on AC parts to arrive to finish installing the Vintage Air unit.

Awesome work man. One step closer.
For future reference on guys installing glass in 40s and 45s. The glass gasket that takes the lockstrip should be installed this way. Gasket on body and install the glass into it. Soapy water in a spray bottle is your friend, it'll dry and not leave a greasy residu like silicon spray or oil based products.
For the one piece gasket, glass in gasket then the "rope trick" will get it into the frame.

Man I wish I had that lockstrip tool last weekend. I got it back in solo as well, but it took me a while. I tried the gasket on the frame first, but couldn’t get my kungfu to get that way. Funny enough I had the same levers. They got the lock strip back in, but it fought me all the way.

Man I wish I had that lockstrip tool last weekend. I got it back in solo as well, but it took me a while. I tried the gasket on the frame first, but couldn’t get my kungfu to get that way. Funny enough I had the same levers. They got the lock strip back in, but it fought me all the way.
That lock strip tool was really nice. Cheap too, I can imagine it would a lot more work to install it with the levers.

Someone recommended this product to me for bonding weather-stripping together, and in my experience works better than the 3M product above. Creates a factory like bond.

IC-2000 | Rubber-toughened CA - https://bsi-inc.com/hobby/ic_2000.html

View attachment 3323494
Don't use ic2000 for installing glass. Let's say you stretched a fj40 tub 10." Now you need hard top windows that are 10" longer as well. First you cut custom glass that is 10" longer. Now you also need weatherstripping for the side glass that is 10" longer. So to do that you order 2 pieces per glass of side glass weatherstripping. One piece you will cut out 2 10" pieces from top and bottom of the weatherstripping. Then you will cut the other weatherstripping at top and bottom and use ic2000 to graft or glue the 10" sections you cut out from the other piece to make one 10" longer window weatherstripping. Once the ic2000 is dry you can install the glass into the weatherstripping, then install the glass with weatherstripping into the hard top.
Weatherstripping adhesive is for installing door jamb weatherstripping to a door frame. For windshields glass companies use a windshield adhesive of some type that seperate from those I've mentioned. I don't know what it's called off the top of my head. However for fj40s I was under the impression that no adhesive was to be used on any glass installing and that includes the windshields.

I believe he was going to use it to bond the cut in the gasket. Sor gaskets now come unbonded. Previous versions were bonded together to make a loop.

Don't use ic2000 for installing glass. Let's say you stretched a fj40 tub 10." Now you need hard top windows that are 10" longer as well. First you cut custom glass that is 10" longer. Now you also need weatherstripping for the side glass that is 10" longer. So to do that you order 2 pieces per glass of side glass weatherstripping. One piece you will cut out 2 10" pieces from top and bottom of the weatherstripping. Then you will cut the other weatherstripping at top and bottom and use ic2000 to graft or glue the 10" sections you cut out from the other piece to make one 10" longer window weatherstripping. Once the ic2000 is dry you can install the glass into the weatherstripping, then install the glass with weatherstripping into the hard top.
Weatherstripping adhesive is for installing door jamb weatherstripping to a door frame. For windshields glass companies use a windshield adhesive of some type that seperate from those I've mentioned. I don't know what it's called off the top of my head. However for fj40s I was under the impression that no adhesive was to be used on any glass installing and that includes the windshields.

@tornadoalleycruiser is tracking correctly. I was under the impression that I had to graft the ends of my gasket together which is what I planned to use the IC2000 for. It turned out that my gasket didn’t need it, so I did not have a use for it. In the end I did not need the IC2000.

I believe he was going to use it to bond the cut in the gasket. Sor gaskets now come unbonded. Previous versions were bonded together to make a loop.
@tornadoalleycruiser is tracking correctly. I was under the impression that I had to graft the ends of my gasket together which is what I planned to use the IC2000 for. It turned out that my gasket didn’t need it, so I did not have a use for it. In the end I did not need the IC2000.
Oh ok I just wanted to make sure someone didn't superglue something they shouldn't.

I finished plumbing the ac lines. I am waiting for a heater hose to finish the installation of the vintage air unit.

IMG_6482.jpeg

IMG_6483.jpeg

IMG_6484.jpeg

I finished the interior relay and CDL relay panel last night and installed it this morning after the paint dried. It is mounted as high as I could get it to keep it out of the way and the kick vent functioning.

IMG_6485.jpeg

IMG_6486.jpeg

IMG_6488.jpeg

IMG_6492.jpeg

After rummaging through the heater hose section of three parts stores I found a hose to finish plumbing the heater lines. I spent the rest of the day finishing off a number of little things to include putting the final touches on the harness and relay/fuse boxes under the hood.
IMG_6494.jpeg

IMG_6493.jpeg

I have a few more things to take care of tonight and if it goes well I should be able to take it for a test drive tomorrow.

After rummaging through the heater hose section of three parts stores I found a hose to finish plumbing the heater lines. I spent the rest of the day finishing off a number of little things to include putting the final touches on the harness and relay/fuse boxes under the hood.
View attachment 3334592
View attachment 3334594
I have a few more things to take care of tonight and if it goes well I should be able to take it for a test drive tomorrow.
Looks like it’s coming along great! You did a good job keeping the engine bay clean

Looks like it’s coming along great! You did a good job keeping the engine bay clean

Thanks, looking at it now I should have blown the dust off of it before the picture.

Best of luck, been a long time coming for sure.

Thanks, Can’t wait! I am not going to bed tonight until everything on the list for tomorrow is done. 🤞 I have an obligation in the morning, so it will have to sit, ready to go, until I get home to take it out. It will be a long morning until then.

The list is done! I made some braces for the radiator support. It doesn’t move at all now.

IMG_6495.jpeg

I hooked up the battery, turned the key and it fired right up. The gauge cluster doesn’t power on at all and the brake and running lights are getting constant power. I didn’t change anything after the the last test and all the switches worked. I am going to have to play with it some more Monday.

Test drive was successful but I am getting some noise out of the transfer case, I installed the low range gears in it but the noise is consistent in both high and low.

I still have to sort a couple electrical issues before it is road worthy. Hopefully it doesn’t take that long.

Out in the wild!
IMG_6510.jpeg

IMG_6509.jpeg

IMG_6511.jpeg
IMG_6508.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom