The LX has to go. Should I sell as-is or back to stock? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Due to bad economic times I unfortunatley have to let go of the '02 LX470. I put an ARB bull bar and Toyo Open Country 285/75/16's on it not to long ago. It's got 122K miles on it and in great condition.
Question/opinions: Would I get more selling it as-is or bring it back to stock and sell the tires and ARB separately?

you'll get the same either way. I'd just list it in the classifieds, I bet someone will want it here, or know someone who wants it. Actually check your PMs

I would say for a semi-local sale the ARB would be beneficial. A lot folks put heavy bumpers on in Wyoming for deer and so that would be a plus. The tires would be a toss up. If you had the stockers to go back on I'd do it. But if you have to go buy tires to put on it to keep the Toyos it wouldn't be worth it after you pay mounting and dismounting.

One other thing, you won't get near what you paid for the ARB selling it used an they are a PITA to ship.

Id sell as is if you need money.Why spend more time and money with no gar.payout.Good luck Mike

Couldn't you sell the Discovery and keep the LX?? Will save you some money in the long run..

Definitely sell as is....There has got to be some guy out there with no kids/family and still pulling in $85K. They would want a toy and a supped up one at that...

How much do you plan to list for....Post a pic for Sh!t3 and Giggles

I would say that you open up the market more on a stock set up. At least in Colorado I see a majority of folks driving these in a stock config.

You could then sell the ARB to someone in Colorado named Crain (that is if it would fit a 99). Sorry to hear about your financial issues.

Best of luck, and pm me if you want to get rid of the ARB.

It would fit crain, but if it is the bullbar not sahara, the antenna tabs were cut off. Not a big deal but since you'd buy his ARB now I think it's worth it to go back to stock. Plus you guys could meet halfway and spare Having to freight it.

Problem with the ARB on is that no self-respecting soccer Mom would buy it... :)

One of my running buddies is a used car and motorcycle dealer. he says they would rather have vehicles in stock configuration than with modifications. they usually ask the owner to at least bring in the stock parts if they still have them and they will convert it back if it isn't too involved. Modifications limit the potential buyers. However, a bumper and tires shouldn't steer too many people away.

Installation of the the ARB bull bar on my 02 LX470 was not a simple bolt on affair. The shop had to pull out the grinder, cutter, etc. (to the vehicle itself, not just the ARB) to finesse it on. It wasn't pretty, but the end result is. My point is it probably wont be as easy to swap back on the OEM bumper as you think.

My recommendation is to sell as is, and advertise nationally. There are plenty of stock vehicles for sale, but very few with your set up. There is always someone out there looking for something different. I know when I was looking for my LX if I saw your vehicle advertised with the ARB I would have been interested. I would price your truck $2500 more than the going rate (based on the value of the ARB), and then back down from there. Use it as a selling point.

I previously sold a F250 Diesel with a sweet TJM winch bumper, and Ruenel rear bumper, and not surprisingly, the guy who bought it did so specifially because it had the bumpers it did.

TetonRon - You're in Jackson Hole it looks like? I would say sell as is. There's gotta be someone not far from you that would grab it if priced right. For sure put in the MUD classifieds! As previously mentioned, if at all possible, unload the Disco and keep the LX.

Would love to keep the LX and sell the disco, but the disco's all but paid for. I think I'll list it here as-is and see what kind of response I get.
Thanks for all of the info!!!

TetonRon
2 months too late for me. I bought my 00 LC locally here in Jackson - and I had to spring for the ARB bumps and OME kit from Slee... plus S&H and install...

I have not seen it listed locally - you should at least list it and give another person in town a shot at an LX with ARB's...

I PM'd you for your tires... I'd rather have your Toyo's than the 285 BigO's that came with mine. This will make it easier to sell your LX in Jackson since the BigO warranty rocks... if you are selling your rig, might as well have the toyo's go to someone who will hit the mud instead of just Broadway... call me.

If it were me...I'd pull the bumper, put stock size tires on it, and sell the accessories separately. The average person that's looking for a vehicle like yours is going to be turned off by modifications of any kind (with the exception of the people that frequent this board).. :2cents:

If it were me...I'd pull the bumper, put stock size tires on it, and sell the accessories separately. The average person that's looking for a vehicle like yours is going to be turned off by modifications of any kind (with the exception of the people that frequent this board).. :2cents:

What he said> ^^ You can always offer it to them as an 'add' but most folks, i.e. the ones that aren't freaks and live on these boards, will want it to be stock. Or at least they aren't going to give you anything extra for it being not stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom