1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The lost and/or last turbo!!!

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by turbocruiser, Feb 23, 2004.

1. turbocruiser

turbocruiser SILVER Star

Hi all, as the subject states, MAF is again advertising one last safari turbo system for sale! I thought that the last units were sold long ago but apparently one more exists. Thought someone might want to know, if not sorry.

2. Junk

Junk

Apparently they need a new inventory system. Either that or they have taken the same sales classes that Vintage has.

3. hoser

hoser SILVER Star

I spoke with Steve from Man-e-fre last month. As of then, they had one kit left. They won't ship the kit, it has to be installed at Man-e-fre. I remember it not being too cheap. But I suppose there aren't too many alternatives.

4. mot

mot

I've said this on the 80's cool awhile ago, but I supposedly did get the "so-called" last kit from MAF on Jan.30(date shown on receipt). Or at least I have paid for them last month.

I've dealt with both Garie(Internet Sales Manager) and Al(Owner) during the transaction and it is/was true that the deal was to have the kit installed by them. They were pretty firm in not wanting to ship the kit. And yes, it was not exactly a bargain.

As many of you might know I'm still in Japan. Al said that he would "hold" the kit and the exhaust system for me until my return.

Anyway, I sure hope that they are not selling the kit that I have paid for. I'll have to write Al just to confirm that all of his employees are upto speed on this.

It sure sounds like MAF definately needs a new inventory system. This thread sure has made me VERY nervous!

F.Y.I.
    This is the reply I received from one of the APS dealers in the US, Brainstorm Performance Inc., when I was hunting for the Safari kit last month. I e-mailed them on Jan. 10 and just got their reply today (still better than most others as they did not even bother replying). Needless to say I have not contacted AVO TURBOWORLD as suggested.

Dear Mot,

I have chased APS about this kit and they inform me that they have not
    produced the kit for 3-4 years. They will only produce the kits in
    lots
    of 25, so it's impossible for us to get 1 kit for you.

My suggestion is that you contact AVO TURBOWORLD in Australia at
    www.avoturbo.com.

Sincerely,
    Roshan

Brainstorm Performance Inc.
    12568 W. Washington Blvd.
    Los Angeles, CA 90066
    www.miata.org
    www.turboperformance.net
    (310)313-0088 Phone
    (310)313-2220 Fax

Also, I actually was able to track down at least one kit (don't know how many they had/have) in OZ at: TJM Geebung and this was a couple of e-mails I got from them, including that they were unable to ship one to US:

> > Good Morning Mot,
    > >
    > > We can offer the Safari Range of Products, pricing
    > > is as follows:
    > >
    > > Turbo System $3190.00 plus $462.00 installation
    > > Intercooler System $ 2028.40 plus $420.00
    > > installation
    > > High Output Exhaust System $1030.00 plus $264.00
    > > installation
    > > If the vehicle is auto:
    > > Auto Transmission Cooler $675.00 plus $198.00
    > >
    > > If you were wanting this kit installed we would need
    > > to site the vehicle to
    > > check for any possible problems or interference with
    > > the intercooler fitment
    > > (ie. winch/bullbar combinations etc). Also we may
    > > need to check the
    > > condition of the fuel injectors.
    > >
    > > I hope this information is of some assistance to
    > > you,
    > > Kind Regards,
    > > Colleen Horton

Hi Mot

After careful consideration and the lack of help I have received in
    Australia in regards to export pricing I am sorry to inform you that we
    will
    not be able to help you in regards to your Turbo and Intercooler
    requirements.

I have spoken with a couple of freight company's and they have been
    unable
    to return my call with pricing. I believe that you may also be better
    off
    having the kit supplied and installed in USA by a qualified Safari
    Agent, as
    they will know how to set your vehicle up properly (There may be a
    slight
    difference in Toyota's set up in the USA to Australia).

I apologise for any inconvenience I have may have caused.

Best regards

ANYWAY...
    Best of luck to all of you who are trying to hunt down the kit!
    May the Force be with you! :cheers:

mot

5. turbocruiser

turbocruiser SILVER Star

The previous owner of my turbocharged cruiser was also told by MAF that he was getting the last one. The difference was that at that point they were still shipping them for others to install so maybe they meant that it was the last one available for shipping off somewhere other than MAF's installation center. Anyway, it is completely confusing how they stock and advertise their stock. I still think Air Power Systems has a market here for these things but they seem to think that if there is no market in the middle east, there is no market here. Strange all around.

6. SeanAndHis80

SeanAndHis80

Thet probably have 50 of them and are selling each one like it is the last on the planet. ...that should keep the price up ::)

7. CDN_Cruiser

CDN_Cruiser

A slight diversion...I've also been thinking that now that 80's have been out of production (in NA) since 97 (IIRC) that we are starting to run out of time to get some of the after market goodies. The ones I can see becoming hard to get (aside from the Turbo) are: supercharge and snorkle.

Thoughts? Is this a worry for others, or should I just go change my PHH?

Cheers, Hugh

8. Landpimp

Landpimp

Media:
    I think you safe on the Snorkle......they still make em for 40's and 60's and they are heaps older than a 80.

[quote author=CDN_Cruiser link=board=2;threadid=11983;start=msg109529#msg109529 date=1077636826]
    A slight diversion...I've also been thinking that now that 80's have been out of production (in NA) since 97 (IIRC) that we are starting to run out of time to get some of the after market goodies. The ones I can see becoming hard to get (aside from the Turbo) are: supercharge and snorkle.

Cheers, Hugh
    [/quote]

9. mot

mot

I have written Al for clarification.

I'll let you know what I find out from him. ;)

mot

10. AMMO

AMMO

They quoted me around 6 grand installed out the door. When I stopped in it was on the display, the guy told be it had been picked over for some time and he wasn't sure if it was complete. But they would ONLY sell it installed.

11. turbocruiser

turbocruiser SILVER Star

[quote author=CDN_Cruiser link=board=2;threadid=11983;start=msg109529#msg109529 date=1077636826]

Cheers, Hugh
    [/quote]

I predict that the only thing that will get hard to have is the turbo; I am sure ARB is going to make bumpers for the 80's forever, the same for suspension systems, the same for snorkels etc. For whatever reason Safari is not interested in producing the system for the North American market. I spoke with a perfectly pleasant and professional person at safari who simply stated that the market in the middle east for the 80 series turbos is dwindling down to nothing. Apparently, the ones who can afford these vehicles pver there are already abandoning the 80 series and moving on to the 100. With the middle east making the majority of the market for these systems, and few if any orders coming from the middle east, production is stopped. Its a real shame but what can we do? I really do not think that they understand that in this area, we, for the most part, do not start making major mods on our vehicles until they are at least out of warranty. NOW is really the time to start sending the units to us. I explained this to the gentleman at Safari and he simply stated, in a lovely Australian accent, "Right, no worry mate!" which simply translated into we aint gonna go there! Such a shame but perhaps it is the stimulus for someone to take a more standard sized and shaped Garrett turbo system and adapt it...whoever does do this could stand to make some serious money if the cost per system is around the 2500 dollar range.

12. CDN_Cruiser

CDN_Cruiser

Makes sense. My real worry is the blower - I can see TRD just killing this as there is 'no market'. From the outside, it seems that Safari is making the right call on the turbos. Until someone committs to >$1MM in inventory to buy the 'minimum' (50?)amount, nothing is going to happen.

For most (small) land cruiser shops, dealers, etc. these things really will not fly off the shelves = a big expense. However, that being said, it is too bad that some type of 'consortium' cannot be developed to bring them into NA. 5-10 specialty shops and dealers may be interested in 5-10 units with a much cheaper inventory cost (and potential to pre-sell them to reduce the burden) - eg:

MAF - Takes 10
    SOR - Tales 10
    Slee - takes 5-10
    Someone on the east cost 5
    Someone in Canada :D 1
    A few dealers remainder....

Cheers, Hugh

One other thought, this could be like how vacation companies work - sell enough of your friends and get a free one. I would imagine that someone on this list could finance and structure this and keep a 'free' turbo for their efforts (and send me one for the idea!)

13. hoser

hoser SILVER Star

Last month, I talked to Air Power Systems about putting together another run of Turbo kits. They could do it if it was economically feasible... even in a smaller batch. They did not give a dollar amount but I am guessing it would be upwards of $8k each. The major problem is our US dollar is much weaker now than it was 4 years ago.

So, if any Turbo kit is going to happen, it will need to be produced here in the US. Our best bet is to go to a custom turbo shop, have them build one set-up and then have them duplicate it. One place that comes to mind is...

http://www.factorxengineering.com/

14. mot

mot

[quote author=AMMO link=board=2;threadid=11983;start=msg109579#msg109579 date=1077643699]
    When I stopped in it was on the display, the guy told be it had been picked over for some time and he wasn't sure if it was complete.
    [/quote]

This is the reply I got back from Al at MAF:

"Mot, This must be old, as there used to be a 1FZFE on display with a
    turbo on it, but this was changed several months ago when we
    reorganized the warehouse. Do not worry, your kit is complete, and
    will not be sold. "

I guess I can sleep better at night knowing that the kit is not missing any parts and that unless one of you burglarize MAF or set it on fire, the kit will be safe. :D

:cheers:
    mot

15. Rogue

Rogue

[quote author=mot link=board=2;threadid=11983;start=msg109813#msg109813 date=1077670120]
    I guess I can sleep better at night knowing that the kit is not missing any parts and that unless one of you burglarize MAF or set it on fire, the kit will be safe. :D

[/quote]

I get out of school in mid-April. Plan on it disappearing about then. :D

16. mot

mot

[quote author=Rogue link=board=2;threadid=11983;start=msg109849#msg109849 date=1077672662]
    I get out of school in mid-April. Plan on it disappearing about then. :D
    [/quote]

Thanks for the heads-up. :flipoff2:

I'll hunt you down in the Happy Valley to reclaim my belonging. :D

mot

17. Rogue

Rogue

[quote author=mot link=board=2;threadid=11983;start=msg109866#msg109866 date=1077673674]

I'll hunt you down in the Happy Valley to reclaim my belonging. :D

[/quote]

Currently it is not so happy here in Happy Valley, with midterms and all. :'(

18. mot

mot

[quote author=Rogue link=board=2;threadid=11983;start=msg109868#msg109868 date=1077673859]
    Currently it is not so happy here in Happy Valley, with midterms and all. :'(
    [/quote]

You have my sympathies, NOT! :flipoff2:

Good luck! ;)

mot