The Little Things - Restoration Checklist (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

With a stock engine the 5 speed is a waste of time except on flat ground, IMHO. In the mountains you will be in second or third going up hill and third going down hill. On 35's you will have "rubber overdrive" on the flats anyway.

Thanks! My engine won't be stock, but it'll still be a 2F. I don't know how close I'll get to Redline's "Freaky High Output" 2F, but Douglas has put a lot of work into building up low end torque and boosting compression to somewhere in the 9's. That combined with the EFI, computer controlled ignition, and opened up exhaust and I hope it'll be quite noticeable from a stock 2F. However, I don't think I need a 5-speed for my purposes and I agree that 35's with 411 gears should make it fairly drivable even on a highway. So I am sticking with Georg and his recommendations and bottom line is that I just want to get it all back and start building!

Project creep is a real problem. The cures run from over budget to selling for a loss. It's hard to cut bait and run on a dream. Sometimes you just have to settle for doing what you can now and coming back later.

I have a stock trans. hooked up to a 3-speed case sitting on my garage floor if your need it. Not sure on what the trans is. Pretty sure it is not rusty.

Oh wow, thanks Mark! How much would you want for them? You said you what the trans is. Is it 4-speed or 3-speed? Do you know if it is Toyota or ???

Project creep is a real problem. The cures run from over budget to selling for a loss. It's hard to cut bait and run on a dream. Sometimes you just have to settle for doing what you can now and coming back later.

Project creep is an understatement. I meant to drive this thing and upgrade and replace as needed... That F engine changed my plans completely. I got my scope down now (full resto), just need to keep it moving forward without going broke in the process! :) I am doing all of this on cash, no credit cards, so it happens in bursts with bonuses, and saving up, etc. I've just about tapped out this latest burst. So I'll be doing cheap or no-cost stuff for a while after I get the trans and case thing sorted.

Thanks! My engine won't be stock, but it'll still be a 2F. I don't know how close I'll get to Redline's "Freaky High Output" 2F, but Douglas has put a lot of work into building up low end torque and boosting compression to somewhere in the 9's. That combined with the EFI, computer controlled ignition, and opened up exhaust and I hope it'll be quite noticeable from a stock 2F. However, I don't think I need a 5-speed for my purposes and I agree that 35's with 411 gears should make it fairly drivable even on a highway. So I am sticking with Georg and his recommendations and bottom line is that I just want to get it all back and start building!
I hope that works out for you.

... I basically bought every new part I could find. And even some of those I could not find. I bought some of them multiple times because I had forgotten that "I already have rear reflectors in a box somewhere". When in doubt, buy the new part.

That sounds expensive! :)

Ooooo... Overland Metric, the place that sells the "complete" bolt kits for FJ40 sent me a link to this awesome spreadsheet.

http://tinyurl.com/2h6hc7

It appears to cover every bolt type, size, and location required for a resto. So cool! He said their kits are about 80% of a complete FJ40 resto and focuses on M6, M8, and M10 hex hardware. I'll still need bigger headed fasteners and screws, but they're easy to find. I'll be hitting up a few metal plating companies around town in Jan to see if they can help with additional plating, but I am going to try the gold cad paint kit from Eastwood first. If it looks acceptable, I'll probably go that cheaper route.

Happy New Year Everyone!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom