The life and times of my 1987 Toyota Pickup - KLF Special (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bummer! I'm curious to know if they try and total the rig. That's a ton of damage which will most likely require either a TON of PDR or a complete paint job. Keep us posted, I've always loved KLF's rig. As far as overheating goes, what radiator do you have? 2 core? 3 core? CSF makes a nice 3 core brass/copper radiator that would solve your issues if you only had a 2 core. Also, do you have an OEM thermostat with Toyota red coolant? Just some thoughts...

Pretty sure it's a CSF 3-row, it's not very old. Always Toyota red coolant under my care, and the thermostat was one of those fancy OEM 2-stage jobs.

Thanks for not mentioning all my glamping stuff.

You got it Ross! I would never tell anyone about that! :rofl:

Bummer! I'm curious to know if they try and total the rig. That's a ton of damage which will most likely require either a TON of PDR or a complete paint job. Keep us posted, I've always loved KLF's rig. As far as overheating goes, what radiator do you have? 2 core? 3 core? CSF makes a nice 3 core brass/copper radiator that would solve your issues if you only had a 2 core. Also, do you have an OEM thermostat with Toyota red coolant? Just some thoughts...

This is my big concern right now. I'm really, really hoping that they don't total the truck. I've got all the receipts from the resto and everything I've done too, along with build pictures and what not. It also helps that a 1988 that was nowhere the truck with a 3.slow just sold 5 days on BaT for $14k. That'll be my biggest argument if the time comes. I still do run Toyota red coolant and have never replaced the thermostat or radiator (which is a 3 core CSF) but do have some concerns about the thermostat. It's easy enough to test so I'll be doing that in the next couple weeks. I'm not going to touch the truck until the estimate is done though.

Bummer about the hail damage dude. :(

Thanks man - it was honestly the craziest storm I've ever been in. Even after the incident I pulled off the road to look at the damage and the wind was still 30-35 mph. I'm just happy that the windshield didn't crack in the hailstorm. Every time one hit the windshield I'd cringe a little expecting it to crack or break through.

You got it Ross! I would never tell anyone about that! :rofl:

This is my big concern right now. I'm really, really hoping that they don't total the truck. I've got all the receipts from the resto and everything I've done too, along with build pictures and what not. It also helps that a 1988 that was nowhere the truck with a 3.slow just sold 5 days on BaT for $14k. That'll be my biggest argument if the time comes. I still do run Toyota red coolant and have never replaced the thermostat or radiator (which is a 3 core CSF) but do have some concerns about the thermostat. It's easy enough to test so I'll be doing that in the next couple weeks. I'm not going to touch the truck until the estimate is done though.
If you are going to pull the thermostat to test it you might as well just replace it,.

If you are going to pull the thermostat to test it you might as well just replace it,.

I agree! I’m going to replace it while I’m there but for my own curiosity want to test it to see if it was the issue.

Had the inspection this morning and spoke to the adjuster earlier today about the hail damage. He's already talking about totaling it. They're supposed to give me their valuation of the truck today or tomorrow and we're going to go from there.

Obviously I'm not going to let it go to the scrap yard, so he's going to let me know how much it'll be for me to buy it back.

Oy vey...

• Sad
Reactions: KLF
Will that result in a salvage title?

With KLF's build thread and a couple of examples from eBay and BAT, I think you have a solid case against totaling the vehicle. I'd recommend printing off a packet that includes the build and eBay/BAT comps and present it to him.

Don't agree to total and buy-back...it will kill the future value of the truck.

Will that result in a salvage title?

It will if they total it. :confused:

With KLF's build thread and a couple of examples from eBay and BAT, I think you have a solid case against totaling the vehicle. I'd recommend printing off a packet that includes the build and eBay/BAT comps and present it to him.

Don't agree to total and buy-back...it will kill the future value of the truck.

I agree. I already brought up some of those points with the adjuster today. He said he's not quite sure how they're going to value the truck yet. There are a bunch of rules that they have to follow but that it gets tricky with older vehicles, especially like this one.

I would have an easier time getting a higher valuation for it if it was in an accident and was then considered a total loss. Since I'm going through my comprehensive it's actual cash value coverage vs replacement cost. So long story short they're going to do a valuation on it compared with other trucks based on the features they had when it rolled off the lot in 87. They don't take into consideration the lockers, or bumpers or solid axle swap when they do these valuations.

I've got some good info at my disposal and I'm ready to put up a fight for it to get fixed properly. I have a friend who owns a classic car shop that can give me an appraisal which I'm ready to do in case the valuation is too low and they want to total it.

It's honestly a catch 22 for me - the hail damage takes away value and a salvage title definitely would. I just need to see what the valuations come back at and I'll figure out what to do from there.

It's 33+ years old. There's actually not much left from the original truck. Let's see...

Cab
Hood
Fenders
Bed (which was repaired once from a wreck when it was close to new)
Frame (now highly modified)
Most of the wiring
Engine (really just the block, crank, & head)
Grille
Steering column

That's it. So I fail to see how a salvage title will make any difference in the value. Heck, when I sold it, it didn't even HAVE a title.

I get that...I guess I’m saying that pre-hail that truck would have brought a nice sum on today’s BAT...but buyers on BAT (recently) don’t seem too educated on the Toyota 4x4s they are paying premiums for...so a Salvage Title might scare this class of buyer away.

I don’t expect @yotadude520 ever plans to part with it, so that point is moot.

Well we had a long chat on the phone right after it happened. IMO (unfortunately) it may be worth more in parts than as a whole truck.

This is an unfortunate but good example of making sure that you know what is actually in your policy.
These insurance companies dont give two shyts about your money or blood investment.
At this point, any of these rigs worth keeping should be on special policies. Classic car, etc. Im pretty sure we've talked about it once before but @CreeperSleeper has my rig on a neat policy.

I get that...I guess I’m saying that pre-hail that truck would have brought a nice sum on today’s BAT...but buyers on BAT (recently) don’t seem too educated on the Toyota 4x4s they are paying premiums for...so a Salvage Title might scare this class of buyer away.

I don’t expect @yotadude520 ever plans to part with it, so that point is moot.

If Geico is willing to pay out a fair valuation and I can buy the truck back for pennies on the dollar I'd honestly have no problem doing that. I'll just keep driving it as is and will run the thing until it can't any more.

But I'm hoping they'll be willing to paint the whole truck instead so I can put my rust free bed on it.

This is an unfortunate but good example of making sure that you know what is actually in your policy.
These insurance companies dont give two shyts about your money or blood investment.
At this point, any of these rigs worth keeping should be on special policies. Classic car, etc. Im pretty sure we've talked about it once before but @CreeperSleeper has my rig on a neat policy.

Chad & I actually talked before I bought the thing, he recommended Hagerty & Farmers which both would not cover my truck as a DD. Chubb - who is putting in a new program to cover DD's that are classics declined insurance for me since I was under 25.

Sum bullshyt right there.
But we should feel bad for insurance companies who are losing money hand over fist(ya fûcking right)
Im not a body guy but i dont see how its a total even with new hood and fenders and a day dealing with the roof skin.....

Sum bullshyt right there.
But we should feel bad for insurance companies who are losing money hand over fist(ya fûcking right)
Im not a body guy but i dont see how its a total even with new hood and fenders and a day dealing with the roof skin.....

It's definitely frustrating. I'm just hoping they don't hit me with a $4k valuation or something stupid like that.

Ugh, you have Geico.... they are the worst. It’s hard to explain, but after being in the body industry for 3 plus years, dealing with Geico was god awful. They will try and jew you every way they can. Go get that vehicle valve from your buddy and plan on fighting. OEM replacement body panels for these trucks are no longer available and used is a shot in the dark and aftermarket panels are complete junk. That means repair. And repairing each one of those dents will take roughly 45 minutes to an hour depending on if any of the dents are on some of these crazy 80s body lines. Then there’s paint work which gets pricy as hell considering all the man hours and product that goes into it. Have you stopped by any body shops and got some estimates? This will at least give you an idea of what your vehicle value needs to be.

Ugh, you have Geico.... they are the worst. It’s hard to explain, but after being in the body industry for 3 plus years, dealing with Geico was god awful. They will try and jew you every way they can. Go get that vehicle valve from your buddy and plan on fighting. OEM replacement body panels for these trucks are no longer available and used is a shot in the dark and aftermarket panels are complete junk. That means repair. And repairing each one of those dents will take roughly 45 minutes to an hour depending on if any of the dents are on some of these crazy 80s body lines. Then there’s paint work which gets pricy as hell considering all the man hours and product that goes into it. Have you stopped by any body shops and got some estimates? This will at least give you an idea of what your vehicle value needs to be.

Awh man. This is not what I wanted to hear.

I can find OEM used stuff here, luckily we don't have stuff rusting away! No estimates as of yet, I was advised not to until the valuation came back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom