The life and times of my 1987 Toyota Pickup - KLF Special (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

They are the springs and everything that are supposed to fit a solid axle truck of that vintage. The first set of springs I installed on that truck were hand-me-down OME from my old '84 truck, so I designed everything for them to fit. I liked the ride, so when the first set of springs wore out, I just went with the same thing.

Awesome. Good info.

Great rig. Upgrades are primo! Glad you are using it as it should be!!

Well what a busy weekend it was! Took off last Wednesday to go turkey hunting with my dad up in Northern AZ. We usually take his Ford, but since I had to leave early Saturday for a concert on Sunday I got to take the mini. It was such a blast driving it up through the Salt River Canyon and up in the White Mountains. The truck did struggle up some steep hills a little bit, but nothing worse than I expected. Got a whopping 23 MPG on the way UP to the White Mountains, which was super impressive.

The land up there is so beautiful, I'm bummed I couldn't take more pictures for you guys - but I will definitely be going back to camp at some point.

LXA9nI.jpg

ylS4vQ.jpg

CaoZUd.jpg

BanukO.jpg

9VKErC.jpg

ef2fVN.jpg
JQVq8v.jpg

Had an absolute blast and got my bird opening morning and it's always such a relief to get done early. I will say though, not having A/C is starting to be a little dreadful...it was getting pretty warm in the Salt River Canyon and north of Globe. Going to have to address that pretty soon before I burn to a crisp this summer.

Great pics. 23mpg is KILLING it.

Yeah that absolutely blew my mind. I did the math 10x before accepting it! Especially since we were going up steep hills and me hanging in 3rd and 4th the whole time.

Well it's been a couple of months since I've updated this thread, and well I really haven't done anything to the pickup. To be honest it's way too hot here to even consider driving it without A/C. It hit 111 degrees the other day! So she's been spending a lot of time in the garage and I've been working a lot on my old Ford.

I did finally however, get around to painting my camper shell! :hillbilly:

6LCdbp.jpg

zJxVJQ.jpg

Actually, this shell just kind of fell in my lap. A kid in my neighborhood had just bought an 84 Extended cab that had this shell on it. I was driving by and saw him outside and asked if he'd sell it. He said he wouldn't but I then asked if he'd trade it for my black high top, which he agreed to. Within 10 minutes I had that shell on and went over there and got my new one!

I like this one a lot better and it's in really nice shape. One like this that was even with the roof was my first pick so I'm happy I got one in the end!

Once it cools down enough for me to drive this thing, I'll have more updates!

Took the Toyota up to the White Mountains for a short trip last weekend. Didn't get to do TOO much wheeling but was able to get it out and enjoy it. Really digging the shell. The drive wasn't too bad...but no A/C in 110 degrees kinda sucked a little bit. One day it'll get it.

gpTJuY.jpg

I think I've also become a member of the FJ40 club! Saw this in a small town near our place and had to have it. I'll be picking it in a couple weeks!

mGrqlK.jpg

Dude that 40 series is crazy. Any info on it?

Thanks man! The thing is a beast. Here’s some info on it:

1978 FJ40

40” Bias ply tires
5.29 gears with detrioit locker in rear, trac-loc in the front
Full cage and 5 point harnesses tied into it
Longfield front axles, shackle reversal kit installed, custom steering setup
4” Rough Country lift kit w/ custom rear shackle
Stock 1978 Drivetrain (2F, 4 speed) with 83k miles
Custom tub with full cage going around

I'm probably going to ditch the 40" tires in favor of some 35's. I just don't want to have to change one of those on the trail myself and the steering is struggling with them for sure. Plus I like having tires I can actually get balanced.

It needs a little bit of work - but nothing crazy. Just some TLC. My brother and I are going to wheel the living piss out of it and just enjoy it. Take it through some of the crazy stuff we got here in Tucson. Once we've gotten some good use out of it I'll probably do a tub swap and make it look good again.

It was honestly way too good of a deal to pass up, and it comes with a good amount of original parts.

With the 5.29s, might consider some small 37s. I’d do the calculations, anyway, before spending the money.

That's awesome, I was really curious if it still had the 2f. Reminds me somewhat of @Stumpalama 's 40.
Does this one have a/c? 🔥🔥🔥

I wish it had A/C! No A/C unfortunately. I was really pumped when he opened the hood to find the 2F under there too. It looks like it's in good shape!

With the 5.29s, might consider some small 37s. I’d do the calculations, anyway, before spending the money.

I've thought about throwing on some 37's. It'd be a nice middle ground between the 35's and the 40's. I gotta run the numbers though for sure. Ideally I'm hoping I can just sell the 40's and with that money get a decent set of 35's. This is going to be a low budget build until I decide to do the tub swap and then it'll be balls to the wall!

I've thought about throwing on some 37's. It'd be a nice middle ground between the 35's and the 40's. I gotta run the numbers though for sure. Ideally I'm hoping I can just sell the 40's and with that money get a decent set of 35's. This is going to be a low budget build until I decide to do the tub swap and then it'll be balls to the wall!

This will help you decide: Gear Ratio Calculator

That’s the perfect cap you have now. I’ve never been a fan of high tops. They just look goofy.

And congrats on the 40. I’d go with whatever tires you get the right deal on. It would be good on either 35s or 37s. Putting a proper tub on it will make it worth keeping long term.

I had 35s and 4.88s on a 40 with a 2f and my max comfortable highway speed was 60-65ish. I would definitely not go 35s and 5.29s if you want to drive it. 2f redlines at like 3500 (or 4000). 5.29s will put you very close to that at 60.

Do you actually WANT to drive a 40 on 40s (or 35s) faster than 60?? :hillbilly:

I’m kidding a little bit, but if you’re not trailering it to the trailhead, then the ability to cruise at 60-65 mph at around 2500 would be nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom