The ‘legendary’ Toyota Land Cruiser barely sells in the US, but is still a hit around the world

RWBeringer4x4

Mechanically Challenged
SILVER Star
In a perfect world I'd want a medium wheelbase, 2 or 4 door, solid axle, manual transmission that could tow around 8000lbs (so I could pull my FJ40). I'd take a diesel motor, or a small V8, or a V6 if they could make one that created reasonable torque.

Or I'd take a Tacoma, as it currently sits, if they'd just tow an extra thousand pounds...

That said, regulations are forcing everyone into electric, self-driving crossovers whether we like it or not. It's unfortunate that I'll probably live to witness the death of the internal combustion engine.

ToyotaMatt

Factory Focus-Point Mind-Set Aproach
Supporting Vendor
GOLD Star

I want to know why this has NOT been introduced to the North Americana Destination market Yet ?

Great Article at link above ......... :)

1573312869223.png

1573312937875.png

lcwizard

Supporting Vendor

I've been building Cruisers since the early-mid 80s. In the beginning customers loved the 40 because it was easy to modify.
They could leave it stock with limited abilities or go to any extreme , to the limit of their imagination, to build a truck so individually customized, they could take it to a run of 50 FJ40s and have something unique enough to call their own but still have the character
of the Land Cruiser. With every creature comfort added since restrictions on modifications are added. Anyone can trim the fenders of a 40 for 37" or 42" tires in their backyard but fitting those tires on a 200 series is a major project. The leaf suspension was simple enough
that any backyard guy could throw on a 4" lift by himself with minimum steering corrections or severe handling deficits. Unbolt the top, throw in a roll cage for safety and bolt the top on. Putting in a welded cage in a new wagon is almost never done for the time labor
of stripping the interior and replacing would be less painful than actually getting squashed in a rollover.
Toyota isn't going to spend the money on the 70 series to meet Cal emissions or to comply with fleet MPG standards.
The EU doesn't have government imposed fleet MPG standards. Most other counties allow imports that comply simply with
EU certs. Perhaps if Trump gets his way, abolishing the fleet MPG standards, Toyota may reconsider.

don't do this to your 200...
1573312918938.png

1573312995101.png

1573313100622.png

lcwizard

Supporting Vendor

I only have an Lx because I tow a boat....no Toyota SUV can tow crap
Towing isn't what cruisers were designed for. I have a 2000 Dodge Cummins Dually for that. I could toss the LX, the boat and my
60 on trailer behind it and still get 17mpgs towing it at 65~70 mph cross country. I towed a custom expo trailer I built behind my 40
that held 40 gallons of fuel, 50 gallons of water, two dirt bikes and food and gear for one week trips through Canyonlands, Death Valley,
or wherever, a couple times a year. A V-8 made the trip faster but I could do it with the six, just slower. Tow capacities are manufacturer
specs based on suspension and braking capacity. I dragged a 25,000 lb old steam engine out of the mountains from an abandoned mining site , in the early 80's, with my 40. It was all 4 wheel drive, low range. It will pull but I would hate to have to stop that from 60 mph on a highway. The 40 didn't have the brakes for that. Trailer brakes are an equalizer. I have a new expo trailer with 12 x 2 1'2" drums . I can stop as fast with that trailer as without

lcwizard

Supporting Vendor

Dang, that's some tuff Mall parking there @lcwizard.

That's my point, and my contribution to this chat.
That would be me, way in the background, standing by the blue 40, in the first pic. Tracy Jordan drove the green one with Rob Bonney
as spotter, Don Robbins drove the blue with me spotting. When Tracy drove that truck to the shop the first time it was basically stock
with a carbed v-8 in front of a 3 speed. He was green and cash restricted so we threw in an SM420 and a cage and some small improvements. He caught the bug and never looked back. He became one of the most successful rock crawlers ever

Towing isn't what cruisers were designed for. I have a 2000 Dodge Cummins Dually for that. I could toss the LX, the boat and my
60 on trailer behind it and still get 17mpgs towing it at 65~70 mph cross country. I towed a custom expo trailer I built behind my 40
that held 40 gallons of fuel, 50 gallons of water, two dirt bikes and food and gear for one week trips through Canyonlands, Death Valley,
or wherever, a couple times a year. A V-8 made the trip faster but I could do it with the six, just slower. Tow capacities are manufacturer
specs based on suspension and braking capacity. I dragged a 25,000 lb old steam engine out of the mountains from an abandoned mining site , in the early 80's, with my 40. It was all 4 wheel drive, low range. It will pull but I would hate to have to stop that from 60 mph on a highway. The 40 didn't have the brakes for that. Trailer brakes are an equalizer. I have a new expo trailer with 12 x 2 1'2" drums . I can stop as fast with that trailer as without
Yes that is the exact truck I was thinking of next for my wife to drive to work, considering I need to tow 6500 pounds....those dodge trucks are super easy to park in the city where she does most of her business!?!?

lcwizard

Supporting Vendor

Yes that is the exact truck I was thinking of next for my wife to drive to work, considering I need to tow 6500 pounds....those dodge trucks are super easy to park in the city where she does most of her business!?!?
If you don't wash it and and put on annoyingly big bumpers people tend to give you a wider berth. You'll find they even leave you an extra space in the parking lot on each side:)

Toyota gave everyone the finger when they discontinued the base 2 door reg cab tacoma with roll up windows. It was the most utilitarian dependable truck sold. As for the make a wish, I'll take the two door trayback 70 series with the turbo diesel.

I own an 80 series, a two door jk, and the last of the regular cab tacomas. The jeep is hard to beat when it comes to an all around performer with a solid front axle to boot. Jeep should have made a two door version of the gladiator with the new ecodiesel(442 lbs torque, it would be the closest to the 70 series two door toyota sells overseas. I personally do not care for the 3.5 atkinson sold as the top engine in the tacoma. It's a car motor and should have stayed in the lexus. I hoped for many years that toyota would bring in the great turbo diesels sold overseas, but gave up when they started talking about hybrids. Had a family member buy a brand new RAV4 and it was a lemon. Toyota needs to wake up or lose their market share. 13 mpg avg in the Tundra is a joke. My jeep gets 21 mpg with the 3.6 pentastar and has plenty of power and gets better mpgs than my 2.7 in the tacoma(18mpg). The new chevy, dodge, and ford half tons with the new diesels get almost 30 mpg and tow over 9k lbs. Toyota are you listening?

Nothing against California, but your CARB standards have cut the rest of the states balls off. I grow trees for a living so no guilt on my carbon footprint.

Why doesn't Toyota have their version of the Lexus GX, I believe Lexus sells a bunch of those?
They do. A gx is just a 4runner but it has the 4.6 v8 which is a de-stroked 5.7, and some more sound deadening and different body panels. If u could figure out how to custom flash a toyota engine, you should be able to bolt in a 5.7 into a gx. With the newest version 5.7 supercharger, you could have a 650hp lexus version of the 4runner.

They do. A gx is just a 4runner but it has the 4.6 v8 which is a de-stroked 5.7, and some more sound deadening and different body panels. If u could figure out how to custom flash a toyota engine, you should be able to bolt in a 5.7 into a gx. With the newest version 5.7 supercharger, you could have a 650hp lexus version of the 4runner.
If that’s the case why is the 4 runners towing capacity 1500 less then the GX 6500 pounds??

If that’s the case why is the 4 runners towing capacity 1500 less then the GX 6500 pounds??
The gx has a v8, thus more power. Also the gx may have bigger rotors and calipers, but I've never looked into it much to confirm.

The gx has a v8, thus more power. Also the gx may have bigger rotors and calipers, but I've never looked into it much to confirm.
I know that, that’s why I was confused by you saying the 4 runner is the Toyota’s GX?? So in reality it’s not?? So my original question is still valid.....🤔🤔

lcwizard

Supporting Vendor

Nothing against California, but your CARB standards have cut the rest of the states balls off. I grow trees for a living so no guilt on my carbon footprint.
thank you for your service.... The more trees , the more great campfires to sit around. Maybe I should feel guilty about my carbon footprint but I like driving Cruisers. Without that carbon footprint I may have no legacy at all

I know that, that’s why I was confused by you saying the 4 runner is the Toyota’s GX?? So in reality it’s not?? So my original question is still valid.....🤔🤔
So the 4runner and the GX are the same platform, the 4runner is the GX, but the lesser optioned one in which it got the v6. The Lexus has more power, more fancy interior bits and technology added. The Rav4 and the NX also share the same platform, and the NX also has more power because it has a turbo-not an option in the rav4- and fancy interior. The Highlander and the RX are also same platforms. Toyota has purposely tried to use the same platforms between toyota and lexus, yet make the lexus as different as they can in a upscale way. Is that what your asking or confused about?

Racer65

SILVER Star
I doubt EPA regulation is a barrier for Toyota. Toyota is a pioneer in hybrid technology. They've already put such a drive train into many of their SUVs currently being sold in the American market.

Top Bottom