The ‘legendary’ Toyota Land Cruiser barely sells in the US, but is still a hit around the world

Rainman

Resurrecting another Land Cruiser
SILVER Star
It most likely will never happen but a short run of FJ45s with modern updates would be cheap to make and I know of at LEAST 3000 people who would buy it in the first year. Now that jeep primed the market with the Gladiator, why not? Just don't screw it up like the FJ Cruiser. Do what Chevy and Dodge did with the sports cars and basically make the same dimn body. Just promise me you won't put the square bezel on it!

I'd love to buy a new Land Cruiser, but for the base price of $85,315 I can buy 2 Tundras and a Yaris hatchback. Or I could buy 2 4Runners and have $13,275 left over for mods. It's hard to see any value in the Land Cruiser at the trim level and price Toyota has it positioned at.

yes, I watched that this morning. they really seemed to skirt the elephant in the room of cost... now that the people with that kind of money aren't buying them they have no market. the 4runner is the closest to fill the LC hole in the market. if they gave us a real LC and not a luxury vehicle it would sell amazing. its almost like they are trying to kill it off in the US. with the 70 and prado in the other markets, ours cant compete.

Yes people are buying and using 4Runners as Landcruisers. Those who buy 200 Series are not using them as Landcruisers and I don’t blame them. Way too spendy and cush. I think Toyota “kind of” knows this and that is why the 4Runner comes in a Off Road and Pro model with locking rear diffs to make up for the lack of a real Landcruiser.

ToyotaMatt

Factory Focus-Point Mind-Set Aproach
Supporting Vendor
GOLD Star

This Decision BY TOYOTA MOTOR CO. Japan

Is a Bunch of POOR CHOICE at the Controls

:confused:

They Seem to want to Forget there Past so Easily ?

1-1930_Toyoda_Model_AA_comb.jpg

Last edited:

Rainman

Resurrecting another Land Cruiser
SILVER Star
I lOVE the 40s, don't get me wrong. I have a long history with them. But I'm finally old enough that I don't need a beast of a 4WD anymore. I don't go wheeling anymore. I live in the south where total snowfall last year was about a half inch. I drool over building an FJ45 with sound proofing the floor, the roof, lining the bed, either a modern diesel or a V6 just like my Tacoma's and drive it every day. I can't afford it right now but some day... That's why I want Toyota to build a new FJ40 with creature comports but keep the body more or less the same. We all know they can pull it off better than the recent competition did.

Do I think they will actually do it? No. I don't.

RWBeringer4x4

Mechanically Challenged
SILVER Star
Price and the lack of a manual option are a major dissuader to me getting a new Land Cruiser (lets be serious, mostly price).

The 4Runner is very capable at half the price - but I (collectively we) are a niche Market. Nobody 4-wheels any of these trucks, by a large percentage, and nobody wants “bare bones” anymore. 90% of my friends (the 35 and under ones) can’t change their own oil, want a point-A-point-B vehicle and could care less about “personality.” Most of them want a self driving, electric car so they don’t even need to look up from their phones at all anymore.

Even my friends with Jeeps, Xterras, etc won’t off-road them because if they break it, they can’t fix it. Modern vehicles, to me, are appliances, and no more exciting than my washing machine.

Even if they made a “real” Land Cruiser - CAFE standards would basically guarantee no manual transmission, so I’d be out. I expect 2020 will be the last year for the manual in the Tacoma.

I like bare bones, utilitarian vehicles - hate all the touch-screens and “drive assist” packages in modern vehicles (and I’m technically a millennial). Give me a stick-shift, Solid axle vehicle with roll down windows, a motor that will go 300,000 miles, and price it under $35k and I’ll pretty much get in line. That said, like @Rainman I’d take some modern creature comforts in terms of suspension, sound deafening, AC/power steering etc.

Every concept I’ve seen Toyota come out with in recent years around a “next gen” off-roader has been an abortion of design. Really they even missed the mark with the FJ Cruiser...

I think ultimately the 200-series Land Cruiser is pretty much doomed here, and I don’t foresee a replacement. 4-Runner has filled the Niche for the affordable off-roader and the 200-series successor will likely live on as a Lexus, but a $90,000 Toyota doesn’t carry the status of a Lexus, nor the affordability of a Toyota. It’s a Niche without a market.

EDIT - just saw how long this was - don’t drink and type kids.

Last edited:

ToyotaMatt

Supporting Vendor
GOLD Star

Price and the lack of a manual option are a major dissuader to me getting a new Land Cruiser (lets be serious, mostly price).

The 4Runner is very capable at half the price - but I (collectively we) are a niche Market. Nobody 4-wheels any of these trucks, by a large percentage, and nobody wants “bare bones” anymore. 90% of my friends (the 35 and under ones) can’t change their own oil, want a point-A-point-B vehicle and could care less about “personality.” Even my friends with Jeeps, Xterras, etc won’t off-road them because if they break it, they can’t fix it. Modern vehicles, to me, are appliances, and no more exciting than my washing machine.

Even if they made a “real” Land Cruiser - CAFE standards would basically guarantee no manual transmission, so I’d be out. I expect 2020 will be the last year for the manual in the Tacoma.

I like bare bones, utilitarian vehicles - hate all the touch-screens and “drive assist” packages in modern vehicles (and I’m technically a millennial). Give me a stick-shift, Solid axle vehicle with roll down windows, a motor that will go 300,000 miles, and price it under $35k and I’ll pretty much get in line. That said, like @Rainman I’d take some modern creature comforts in terms of suspension, sound deafening, AC/power steering etc.

Every concept I’ve seen Toyota come out with in recent years around a “next gen” off-roader has been an abortion of design. Really they even missed the mark with the FJ Cruiser...

I think ultimately the 200-series Land Cruiser is pretty much doomed here, and I don’t foresee a replacement. 4-Runner has filled the Niche for the affordable off-roader and the 200-series predecessor will likely live on as a Lexus, but a $90,000 Toyota doesn’t carry the status of a Lexus, nor the affordability of a Toyota. It’s a Niche without a market.

EDIT - just saw how long this was - don’t drink and type kids.

like @RWBeringer4x4 just said every concept of recent Toyota history is a JoKE on 4 Tires

just look at new FJ Cruiser ........................

something from Battle Star Galactica ..?

🤔

1573262977636.png

1573263010327.png

RWBeringer4x4

Mechanically Challenged
SILVER Star
I hate to say it, but Jeep has done a far better job staying loyal to what got them where they are.
Agree (mostly) with that statement - but the Pentastar is a minivan motor, not a truck motor, and despite secretly kind of wanting one, the gladiator was a super lazy design effort. If I was shopping - Tacoma would still get my money, but if they’d make a manual transmission gladiator tow what the autos could, it would be a much tougher decision...

ToyotaMatt

Supporting Vendor
GOLD Star

I hate to say it, but Jeep has done a far better job staying loyal to what got them where they are.

JEEP has there GAME BALL Hat on with the New ROXOR's they farmed out ..............

these little guys are KILLER KOOL

only if TOYOTA MOTOR Corporation had the Imaginative Sprint they once did ?

1573263735947.png

1573263755644.png

1573263773742.png

RWBeringer4x4

Mechanically Challenged
SILVER Star

like @RWBeringer4x4 just said every concept of recent Toyota history is a JoKE on 4 Tires

just look at new FJ Cruiser ........................

something from Battle Star Galactica ..?

🤔

View attachment 2128441

View attachment 2128442

GET THAT HATEFUL SACK OF BROKEN DREAMS OUT OF HERE! I’ll never understand that concept.

From a business perspective I could totally see Toyota absconding the off-road/4x4 market - it’s a small niche, globally anymore, and probably not a huge loss from a business sense. That said - designs like that one look like they’re basically TRYING to drive that market segment away.

I really think a 70 based LC for the US Market priced at a premium to a 4Runner might work. They are just too scared to hurt Tacoma and 4Runner sales. The 4Runner is really a very nice rig. it really fills the spot of a modern 80 series LC.

RKTINC

I think jeep knows what people want. And even if people don't want the jeep, the strong marketing jeep has sways people over to wanting the jeeps. The JL and Gladiator are pretty decent rigs. The quality control is not up to par with Toyota, but while Toyota has a firm grip on quality control and reliability, Jeep has a firm grip on selling a legit topless 4x4. Toyota does not understand the 4x4 market and how to compete in it. Its the people that don't really go offroad but still want the image of doing so that eventually sell or trade their jeep for a tacoma or 4runner because they get sick of repairing the jeep. I think that as Jeep steps up their reliability Toyota will be pushed further out of the market. Fortunately for toyota Jeep has had a lot of issues with the JK and turning people away from it, and it will be a while before they can be won back with the JL/Gladiator. The Tacoma and 4runner are the extent that Toyota is willing to put themselves out their from playing it safe, which isn't very far. The FJcruiser was far out their for toyota, which also really wasn't all that far out from a generic suv 4x4. Toyota is a boring car company, compared to jeep, and I see no willingness to change. They are too corporate, and narrow minded.

hobbes

SILVER Star

Since Toyota is adament no SFA in the US market, the 70 series remains out. I say bring bring back and over the BXD-20 (but a bit narrower)! Heck they can even put a bazillion batteries in it in a few years, so it’ll be good for that push for hybrids all the companies are doing.

and chat in three...two...one...

edit: that video was surprisingly well done. CDan siting!

Last edited:
Top Bottom