The LC replacement (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads

This announcement makes the decision to pull the LC300 a lot clearer.
Toyota can see that LC is a dead end in the US. But an electric hybrid large SUV might actually work here.

Pretty sure thats gonna be the speculated Grand Highlander. I wouldn’t be surprised if they decide to axe the Sequoia, and then use it to fill the void. This news doesn’t really have anything to do with the LC though...

Pretty sure thats gonna be the speculated Grand Highlander. I wouldn’t be surprised if they decide to axe the Sequoia, and then use it to fill the void. This news doesn’t really have anything to do with the LC though...
Sequoia isn't going anywhere and most likely will be the Land Cruiser replacement in the US. Hopefully it will align with all the suspension goodness of the new Tundra (no IRS). The original Sequoia was a fantastic vehicle offroad.

Sequoia isn't going anywhere and most likely will be the Land Cruiser replacement in the US. Hopefully it will align with all the suspension goodness of the new Tundra (no IRS). The original Sequoia was a fantastic vehicle offroad.
I can’t see them going back to a solid rear axle for the sequoia when you consider the vehicle handling dynamics and interior passenger space/floor height issues.

I sure hope they don’t axe it. I just wish they’d give more effort in being more competitive vs. Armada, Tahoe and Expedition. But like Bloc said, I don’t see them moving away from IRS when it has been such a success for interior packaging.

I sure hope they don’t axe it. I just wish they’d give more effort in being more competitive vs. Armada, Tahoe and Expedition. But like Bloc said, I don’t see them moving away from IRS when it has been such a success for interior packaging.
Regarding IRS, i think it depends on the dollars and cents and positioning regarding the Grand Highlander. Guess we’ll see.

Regarding IRS, i think it depends on the dollars and cents and positioning regarding the Grand Highlander. Guess we’ll see.
One of the BEST thing about the current Sequoia is the 3rd row space (it makes LC’s 3rd row like a Vietcong jail)…..and that is thanks to IRS. And this is why Expedition and Yukons of the world went with IRS. I think for something like a big mover, IRS is the way to go that allows you to have spacious 3rd row.

The Grand Highlander may have spacious room but can never tow like a Sequoia/Yukon/Expedition.

Now, i know that this is heresy, but if Toyota gets it right…a Sequoia with new styling (on par with the new Yukon AT4 for example), IFS & IRS, rear locker, ATRAC + CRAWL + MTS (maybe on a dedicated off-road platform like TRD PRO version), and classic colors (army green, blue, or something)…add all that to Toyota’s quality/reliability…and it will give the Expedition and Yukons a run for the money!

Now, i know that this is heresy, but if Toyota gets it right…a Sequoia with new styling (on par with the new Yukon AT4 for example), IFS & IRS, rear locker, ATRAC + CRAWL + MTS (maybe on a dedicated off-road platform like TRD PRO version), and classic colors (army green, blue, or something)…add all that to Toyota’s quality/reliability…and it will give the Expedition and Yukons a run for the money!
More nonsense than heresy. All the things you mentioned above would make it competitive with the expedition and yukons. The LC does not compete in those markets, though. I don't think making it bigger and adding more interior volume would make any sense due to the fact that would be exactly the same vehicle as the sequoia. I see people cross shopping expeditions, yukons, and sequoias. Not the LC.

Additionally, the TRD PRO of anything is not on its own dedicated off road platform. Anything TRD PRO is simply a trim package of the same exact vehicle....

I wouldn't expect much. Toyota didn't sell enough LCs here to even stay in the market, as evidenced by the cessation of production with MY2021.

More nonsense than heresy. All the things you mentioned above would make it competitive with the expedition and yukons. The LC does not compete in those markets, though. I don't think making it bigger and adding more interior volume would make any sense due to the fact that would be exactly the same vehicle as the sequoia. I see people cross shopping expeditions, yukons, and sequoias. Not the LC.

Additionally, the TRD PRO of anything is not on its own dedicated off road platform. Anything TRD PRO is simply a trim package of the same exact vehicle....

I wouldn't expect much. Toyota didn't sell enough LCs here to even stay in the market, as evidenced by the cessation of production with MY2021.
Well he did say Sequoia and not the LC...

I am talking more about the next Sequoia…since there is no LC in the foreseeable future in the USA.

Sure TRD PRO is a “trim” package…but given that the Tundra platform will be source of all sorts of variations (the next LC, LX, Sequoia), i can see Sequoia TRD PRO having some parts (FOX suspension) and reinforcements (frame strengthening for dune jumping?) that goes beyond the base Sequoia…kinda like what Ford does to the Raptor or Jeep does to the 392 Rubicon.

The Land Cruiser replacement is the 2022 Lexus variant based off the 300 series in the USA market.

Guessing here but frame reinforcements seem like a very big ask for the type of vehicle toyota seems interested in offering for TRD Pro trim, especially when you consider the direction they are going with TNGA in the first place. Any differences to the frame that aren’t absolutely necessary likely won’t be offered. They’d be more likely to just build it strong enough in the first place.

Also we talked about packaging but rollover prevention (ala Ford Explorer/Firestone debacle) is a huge reason all of the big players have moved to IRS for their family haulers. That Chevy held out as long as they did is impressive, to me. The cruiser probably won’t, because of it’s focus on off-road competency.

Guessing here but frame reinforcements seem like a very big ask for the type of vehicle toyota seems interested in offering for TRD Pro trim, especially when you consider the direction they are going with TNGA in the first place. Any differences to the frame that aren’t absolutely necessary likely won’t be offered. They’d be more likely to just build it strong enough in the first place.

Also we talked about packaging but rollover prevention (ala Ford Explorer/Firestone debacle) is a huge reason all of the big players have moved to IRS for their family haulers. That Chevy held out as long as they did is impressive, to me. The cruiser probably won’t, because of it’s focus on off-road competency.
Good points. Personally, i hate looking at the back of the new Yukons and Expeditions…those IRS components (esp lower control arms) look so low and flimsy hanging down below bumper for everyone to see. I want to see a solid pumpkin and axle. :D

The Land Cruiser replacement is the 2022 Lexus variant based off the 300 series in the USA market.
Since 2022 LX and next Sequoia are on the same basic platform, then does it make them related? And thus, the Sequoia is, in essence, a TOYOTA LC200 replacement for the USA market until the Land Cruiser nameplate comes back to USA?

Different buyers for LC vs the Sequoia. Person looking for build quality/options of a LC will gravitate toward a Lexus and not a Sequoia. Also very different price points.

Yeah...I didn't mean this would be the actual replacement for the LC but you can see how this worked into their calculus in terms of decision making and stream lining their lineup here in the US.

I'm sure they getting some good tax breaks or incentives building the cars here in the US
People who want and appreciate the LC are like hens teeth...
The LX LC300 will still satisfy their luxury clientele that are Lexus-loyal
The Sequoia will probably stick around for now since its just a SUV Tundra so easy to have the 2 models on one platforms.

I agree with the Grand Highlander guess.
This will be a minivan alternative with modern ECO hybrid technology
Highlander will be the smaller compact SUV option
RAV4 is their crossover around town option
4R as the more rugged outdoorsy option
Sequoia as the more rugged full sized outdoorsy option

And as toyota does...will have different tiers for all models to give the illusion of more offroad and more toughness with some badges and cosmetics to help transition from one model to the next

LC just didn’t have a place to fit in this lineup.
Plus so disappointed in the rear look of the new one....I bet LC300 sales would have been dismal here.
Such a bland look and not sure there are any big jumps in tech except more LED lights and possibly Apple Carplay...haha
There is nothing I've seen from the leaks so far that would bring any excitement or could have reinvigorated the LC brand here.

Last edited:
Cybertruck is LC replacement

Hahah, I'm so torn. 99% I will have one. Replacement for the LX, replacement for the sports car... Currently trying to convince the wife she'd look great in one and to replace her Model 3 with a cybertruck.

I don't really need a 4th car in the family. Though that still might be plan D.

As much awesomeness might be the LX 300-series. It won't have the efficiency, performance, tech, or car camping abilities of the Cybertruck. It won't do magic things that my current LX can't already do off-road. Only thing might be legendary reliability and durability and that's an increasingly hard sell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom