The KSA Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Radiator Flushing Update

MicrosoftTeams-image (8).jpg

#​
Date​
Description​
Discharge Fluid​
Fluid Added​
6​
5-01-2023​
6th Flush​
WaterRadiator Cleaner & Fresh Water
7​
13-01-2023​
7th Flush​
Radiator Cleaner & WaterFresh Water
8​
21-01-2023​
8th Flush​
Fresh WaterRadiator Cleaner & Water
9​
28-01-2023​
9th Flush​
Radiator Cleaner & WaterRadiator Cleaner & Water
10​
4-02-2023​
10th Flush - FINAL​
Radiator Cleaner & WaterRadiator Coolant

After 10 flushes, I've given up; thinking that's the best for now. Replaced the old hoses with silicon hoses and installed new washer / reservoir tanks. Also got a new OEM radiator cap cause the old one was leaking.

I removed the old power steering pump (it didn't work). Had a replacement, but noticed the bracket was different. On the old pump, there is only 2 bolts, with one extending to both sides of the bracket where there is a threaded hole to hold it. The newer pump has 3 bolts and the bracket holes are all threaded. Need to source a bracket.

Ordered / got a new clutch plate, c/w pressure plate & master / slave cylinders from CCOT. Not my best idea....shipping costs killed me!! I not sure I needed it.

IMG_4143.JPG

Got the mechanic to replace it along with 2 broken lug nut studs. He re-surfaced the fly wheel too. Replacing the stubs meant loosening the brakes....which meant when he was done...well...the brakes were soft and not balanced. Went back the following weekend to fix that, noticed I was having fuel problems.

When running at consent speed, say 60 kph, I feel as if the cruiser is struggling to stay steady. The engine was jerking. It also happens at slow speeds, if I'm on 2 driving around the parking lot. Mechanic says its the fuel pump; but I've lost confidence in this mechanic.

I'm out of time, I'm packing up to go to Toronto, with my "new" toy. Will get the Mechanic to replace the fuel pump, its relativity cheap here and also change the fuel hoses and will try to flush / clean the tank before. I just hope there are no more surprises. I know with a 40-old classic...there are always surprises, but would like to just be able to drive it down the street in peace.

Last edited:
April Update

March was crazy busy, but took another chance with another mechanic recommended by a friend. Issue appears to the setting / adjusting the timing to match the engine. Thankfully, this mechanic did a better job; but am not fully satisfied. Starts up perfectly but at the top of 2nd gear; when is rev'ed up it feels as if the brakes are suddenly on. This is way above my comfort zone, did some reading / research and my understanding is that the distributor is now set on advanced setting. Re-setting it might reduce that hesitation but would have impact on other gears. All others appear ok so really dont want to mess with it again. But would really like some advice.

But was out of time...as it was time to pack ...

IMG_4180[1].JPG

Strapped in and off to Toronto!!!

Container arrived in Toronto early June 2023; unfortunately my Customs Clearing agent could not get their act together. At the end, had to go to Canadian Customs and cleared my container in a matter of hours. CBSA was great, but it still got stuck with demurrage charges!!

After paying up ...i was not able to go personally to supervise the removal of the vehicle due to work commitments. BIG Mistake!!

IMG_4290.JPG

:censor::mad::bang:

After I finished cursing / crying... took stock of the situation. Plus points was no one was physically injured, damage was superficial; ie it was body work only. The Owner of the facility took full ownership and offered to buy /paint replacement parts.

I needed :
  1. Front Fender
  2. Chrome Bumper
  3. Turing Light
  4. Driver's Side Mirror
I gave up the part numbers, and directed him to SOR.com. He ordered the parts.

In the meantime, my Saudi mistress was finally home...

IMG_4300.JPG

That's the original Qatari Beast (FJ45).

Managed to remove the old fender ... but had to cut a bolt (it was bolted to a welded nut in the frame...but the welds broke and the nut was spinning).

IMG_4323.JPG

IMG_4324.JPG

Since I got clear access, also decided to change the rubber hose on the power steering tube. Looked like it was baked for 40 years. eventually, had to cut / rip it off. The power steering does not work, but thought it would be good to replace the rubber.

Will fix the fender next weekend.

Nice thread and great work @AYM707 . What was the original paint code for your 40s from Riyadh? I would be interested to know more details about your shipping from Riyadh to Toronto so will DM. Thanks mate.

Haven't posted in a long time...

I got a replacement fender, bumper, & turning light from SOR. Took me 3-4 attempts to finally get it installed correctly. At the end, had to cut some bits off and drill some additional holes. Its not a perfect fit; which was disappointing.
MicrosoftTeams-image (13).jpg

MicrosoftTeams-image (14).jpg

I used rubber foam to block / hide the gap between the front bib and the fender side wall. Just noticed the gap b/w the side apron and the fender :frown:.

I still need to get it painted to match....but it was enough to get my plates!!! I'm now road legal.

Does any need / want an original dented left fender?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom