The Idle Solenoid is a Fuel Leak After Shutdown (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm having trouble with fuel draining out the carb after the engine is shut down. The solenoid clicks, but it looks like the O-ring isn't making a seal, or that the solenoid is inserted too shallow for proper O-ring engagement - the cross-hole appears to be a conflict. Maybe there needs not to be a copper washer on the back of the solenoid to get the O-ring at a better location? The '75 US carb has recently been rebuilt with a new o-ring, the old one was brittle. The solenoid shut down the running engine when it was unplugged. Fuel drips from the carb on the hot intake manifold with the ignition off, and it looks like a heavy metal concert when you shine a light in the PCV hole, or down the primary. For a while I have been suspicious of water leaking out of the head into the combustion chamber, or oil thru the valve stem seals, but I'm now considering that the steam is just gasoline going thru partial pyrolysis, fouling plugs at the subsequent start-up.

I tried a spare solenoid, thinking that the needle was dirty, but it didn't help.

Any suggestions for getting a good O-ring and/or solenoid, or getting this one to work?

There is definitely supposed to be a washer sealing the stem of the solenoid to the air horn. Usually aluminum, bu occasionally copper or even composite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom