The holy grail of toyota radios! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I finally found one!

3178201881_faa7ccc3c8_o.jpg

Alpine for Scion - DVD out, Video in, Ipod controls, Satellite radio, and remote. All with Factory wiring.

I'll be posting a full install as I get it put in next week.

are the connectors standardized across various Toy models?

I have read on other forums that the connectors were similar to the other scion units.

How much did you find it for and where?

What's the model number for the head unit?

Sweet find!

I'm interested in this as well.

So...what's the skinny on this? That sounds/looks like a pretty dope radio. Seeing as how Scions were just listed as being in the top most ticketed cars bracket, I bet there are a lot in the junk yards now.

You got a model/trim package we can use to find one for ourselves?

Toyota - 4Runner . org Forum - New Alpine Scion OEM DVD HU...

In that link they say there was only 2000 of these head units made and they came out of the limited edition xB. If that is true...they'll be hard to find and with a premium.

The thread also has a shot of one installed in a 4Runner...I own one of those too and I sure would love to have it for that ride as well.

I'd put this one in my 4Runner and take the runners and put it in my cruisah....oh...that would be nice.

08600-52838

DVD Player, XB

MSRP $737

Product no longer available

As the story goes, I found it on Craigslist, searching for info on the unit. It ended up being in Kanas City (I live in Florida) but I decided to take a chance, as the gut on the phone sounded legit.

Ended up scoring it for $95!!!!

He included the iPod Scion cable (still need more to get it to work), the wireless remote, and the instruction book.

Doubt I will sell it, unless I can't get it to work.

Tried to install it, maybe someone can help...

Here's the plugs in my dash for my OEM radio:
3264089213_1aae16062d_b.jpg

My radio only uses one (the white one):
3264926012_ca248d0f67.jpg

What are the other two grey ones for? The white one does NOT fit anywhere on the Alpine, but the grey ones do... but the radio will not work with just the grey plugs.

Here's the back of the Alpine:

3264089987_5ab2496279_b.jpg

I am pretty sure the plug just over the RCA jacks is a standard Alpine plug, I am thinking I can get a harness adapter and make it work.

I still am curious about the grey plugs.

I have an EWD for a 94, so it may be different.

Are you sure the two gray plugs are not being used? Those look like either S4 & S5 or R1 & R2 in my book. S4 is identical to R1 and S5 is identical to R2.

The white plug (R3) goes from your radio to the amplifier. Coming out of the amplifier is S4 & S5, which go to your speakers. If those two gray plugs are not being used, I suspect they are R1 & R2, which I am guessing are used for radios with built-in amplifiers. In this case, S4 & S5 would not be used.

So in summary:

Head unit with external amp:
The white plug comes out of the radio into the amp. S4 & S5 come out of the amp to your speakers. R1 & R2 would not be used (factory setup).

Head unit with built in amp:
R1 & R2 come out of the radio to your speakers directly. R3, S4, and S5 would not be used. (Scion unit)

So you should just be able to plug those two gray connectors (R1 & R2) into the new unit and not use the white one. Of course S4 & S5 will still be plugged into the amp, so you can disconnect these. Not sure of the effect of leaving these connected.

If possible, get a wiring diagram for the new radio and do a pin by pin comparison to be sure.

Of course this is all according to my 94 EWD, so someone please correct me if I am wrong here.

Just an update... I searched the Scion forums and found this plug: PT546-21062 I-POD ADA

This is the cable that goes from the head unit to the port in the center console of the Scions.

CDan is checking on what it looks like before I buy it.

This will solve the iPod issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom