Builds The Guzzler - 2009 LX570 (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We went to the Table Mountain area, between Wenatchee and Ellensburg. This area had been in a fire 3 or 4 years ago, and most of our driving was the result of looking for an unburnt area with a creek to set up camp at. In the end we couldn't improve on the location and conveniences of the Haney Meadow area, at the Ken Wilcox horse camp. There was one other party there, out of about 15 spots. Aside from taking some interesting looking spurs, all driving as on the FS roads.

In general conditions were good, with mud only in a few areas and the longest mud stretch only about 100 feet. All with lots of trees around, so I wasn't worried about getting stuck as I had the Bog Outs and enough line to pull out with. Most of the time in 4H, with maybe one mile in 4L, and maybe a 1/4 mile with the center diff locked. No need for the rear locker. Just a hint of traction needed on the one washout obstacle.

So headed down NF 9712 about five miles N of Haney Meadow, the road which was paralleling the mountain edge had a set of washouts right near the summit, before it headed down to Wenatchee. The total obstacle might have been 1/8" mile and had four separate washouts. Sketchy because the road, which was already cliff edge, was now off camber quite a bit and narrowed significantly. This area sees primarily motorcycle traffic I think . . . anyhow, we drove it and found this on the other side.

Good to know!

Me as I’m reading this:

Oooh, can’t wait to see all the pictures!

Grinchy:

IMG_8323.JPG

:rofl: Glad you redeemed yourself in the following posts. Looks beautiful and looks like a nice weekend!

Last edited:
I can confirm that the Kalamera 25L (26 quart) model KRC-CR25DAC fits behind a deployed 3rd row jump seat, with the seat at a 'comfortable' two and three clicks. It also opens enough before the headrest gets involved to get a drink out. Has left right movement, but only about 1/4" forward back. There are no vents on the long sides, so this is perfect. It isn't obvious from the pics, but the lid has a push interlock on it to open.

Aside from being a generic, and only 25L capacity, a pretty good basic solution.

Resets to 0F after a power off. Comes with a 120v 3a to 12v 9.9a ACDC power brick and a dedicated, separate Cig lighter plug.

Already doing double duty as extra frozen storage in the garage.

$250 delivered.

IMG_4521.JPG

IMG_5125.JPG

IMG_7308.JPG

IMG_4101.JPG

Last edited:
I can confirm that the Kalamera 25L (26 quart) model KRC-CR25DAC fits behind a deployed 3rd row jump seat,

I found this one, but I can't find the exact model you posted:
Kalamera 26 Quarts Portable Refrigerator Freezer Compact Compressor Electric Cooler DC Mini Fridge for Car, Office and Camping Amazon product ASIN B07PKBPK7S

I found this one, but I can't find the exact model you posted:
Kalamera 26 Quarts Portable Refrigerator Freezer Compact Compressor Electric Cooler DC Mini Fridge for Car, Office and Camping Amazon product ASIN B07PKBPK7S
That is the one I bought. $250 prime delivered. Shipped out of southeast.

From the Fridge manual
12v 4.1A or 24V 2.4A
Input voltage 10.5 to 31V
ACDC 12V 5A 50/60hz 100V to 240V (Never mind that included a 12V 10A in the box . . .)
18.9" x 12.99" x 16.73"

Pictures never do it justice, and I don't have any from the really tight ones as I was focused on the road. Used the front and side cam to make sure I was on the road. Side cam in particular was useful to keep the tire well away from the edge.

Trip looked fun! I use the camera like this all the time. I've got enough width that I can see the front tire. I tilt my passenger mirror down so I can see the rear line too. For driver's side I usually just hang out the window :p

Trip looked fun! I use the camera like this all the time. I've got enough width that I can see the front tire. I tilt my passenger mirror down so I can see the rear line too. For driver's side I usually just hang out the window :p
Yeah the side video was key. Four inches of brown, two inches of green/rocks, and then black/blue for the void. I had to run that stretch on an in and out, so much easier up hill with driver on the cliff side, than downhill with passenger on the cliff side.

I got the Beaudens B3801 Portable Power Generator yesterday and have some initial data on running this with the fridge.

Fridge 'normal' mode. Using the DC Adapter (Cigarette lighter cord). The generator was fully charged (first charge) at start. The fridge is 1/3 full with kombucha and half/half and beer, and was set to 36 deg F.

375 minutes used 18% of battery (display read 82%). I don't have a kill-a-watt or similar . . .

Estimated run time (90% duty cycle) = 5*375 min = 1875 min = 31 1/4 hours.

I then left the fridge on the cigarette lighter power, and plugged in the generator to 120v to charge. The generator charged up no problem (it has a measly 15V 3A charger = 45W) and has been both driving the fridge and charging the past 12 hours. This is how I expect it'll work in the vehicle, using the rear outlet AC -> Generator input -> DC Output -> fridge

More deets from the Beaudens B3801 manual that isn't available online that I could find:
Pack capacity - 30AH at 12.8V -> 384 WH
Weight 11lb
LiFePo4 pack

Outputs details:
USB QC3.0 -> 18W
USB Type C PD -> 60W (20v3A)
DC output port (5525) -> 12V10A (120W)
DCAC -> 300W, 600pk, Pure sine

Input detail. There is only one input, so these modes are one only.
Charging port (5521) ->
ACDC (15V3A 45W) (provided is 45W, I assume one could go with a 30v3A for example aftermarket to get to 90W)
Solar MPPT (30V3A max, 10.8v to 30v -> 90W max)
Car port (12v/24v, Amps not specified, assuming 90W ceiling it is 7.5A or 4.2A)

Note the input DC port is 5.5mm by 2.1mm and the output DC is 5.5mm by 2.5mm

It definitely will charge while also supplying to a load.

It comes with a DCDC Cig lighter to 5.5 by 2.1 mm
ACDC US plug to 5.5 by 2.1 mm
DCDC MC4 to 5.5 by 2.1mm

Build quality is very good.

Last edited:
I got the Beaudens B3801 Portable Power Generator yesterday and have some initial data on running this with the fridge.

Fridge 'normal' mode. Using the DC Adapter (Cigarette lighter cord). The generator was fully charged (first charge) at start. The fridge is 1/3 full with kombucha and half/half and beer, and was set to 36 deg F.

375 minutes used 18% of battery (display read 82%). I don't have a kill-a-watt or similar . . .

Estimated run time (90% duty cycle) = 5*375 min = 1875 min = 31 1/4 hours.

I then left the fridge on the cigarette lighter power, and plugged in the generator to 120v to charge. The generator charged up no problem (it has a measly 15V 3A charger = 45W) and has been both driving the fridge and charging the past 12 hours. This is how I expect it'll work in the vehicle, using the rear outlet AC -> Generator input -> DC Output -> fridge

Great stuff, very informative! I think after owning a few small power banks and testing them, that my priority for ordering the next one is the recharging rate. For the small ones I currently use it seems fine, but I can’t imagine only having 48w in is enough when I’m charging 1000wHs+ Power banks.

anyways, I was looking for ideas on how I could compare my different power banks and what to look for in future upgrades, and your post does a good job of highlighting relevant information. I can now exclude this from my search. im eyeing the Bluetti right now, which is 2400 wHs at 500W charging rate? Am I reading it right? It’s going to take an entire paycheck/little more but at that capacity it might be the only one I need. They are even releasing a bigger one this year so I will keep an eye on that baby.

Last edited:
Great stuff, very informative! I think after owning a few small power banks and testing them, that my priority for ordering the next one is the recharging rate. For the small ones I currently use it seems fine, but I can’t imagine only having 48w in is enough when I’m charging 1000wHs+ Power banks.

anyways, I was looking for ideas on how I could compare my different power banks and what to look for in future upgrades, and your post does a good job of highlighting relevant information. I can now exclude this from my search. im eyeing the Bluetti right now, which is 2400 wHs at 500W charging rate? Am I reading it right? It’s going to take an entire paycheck/little more but at that capacity it might be the only one I need. They are even releasing a bigger one this year so I will keep an eye on that baby.
Yeah, 45W is a pretty crap recharge rate. Even 90W (the PV limit/aftermarket charger) isn't very good. My use case is go out for 2 or 3 days, run it to zero over a couple nights, and then recharge at home. If it won't meet that I'll have to get some solar or a DCDC involved. I think 30 hours of run time should be ok for this use case though. Fingers crossed.

The Bluetti does have a fast recharge rate. I shyed away from it as the battery cycling isn't rated very well (that and it was too much capacity for me). It's all a give and take with batteries, if you draw them down fast and charge them fast, you decrease the cycles. Of course for the right use case it is worth it. I also have general concerns with Li-ion, but that's a personal choice; BMS tech is much more developed now than a few years ago.

My long term plan is still to get a LiTi or LiFePo4 in the rig and have a built in solution, it may be a hot minute though. Have a couple more years before #3 outgrows the 3rd row seat . . .

Have the rival fuel skid on. Took around an hour. I had to pull the transfer case skid, as it has a support the crosses the gas tank area. Still need to remount that.

i like the Rival part. It’s got a nice finish on it and the install bits are well thought out. I used stainless bolts, but otherwise their install kit was correct and complete.

Rival skid 20.2 lb. Stock skid 16.8 lb. Net diff 3.4 lb plus the three custom brackets, so under 5 lb total.

EBEAF472-B717-40FB-8DAB-1156BDC5CB3E.jpeg

FEEACCB0-232B-4EAC-897D-629A5317528B.jpeg

6CE7A5B9-BEA7-41CF-94B3-A47327DC718F.jpeg

94167AD9-5050-4A45-837A-B78345966F2D.jpeg

Got the transfer case cross member brace up. Had to trim a small bit from the reinforcement as it was hitting the new gas skid. Also drilled a hole in the other end so I could put the bolt back in my slider mount. I knew it was coming off again for the fuel install so didn't do it last month.
Asfir included a nice adapter for aftermarket fuel skids and after trying it several way I was successful in figuring it out. Should have no problem putting the transfer skid back on tomorrow and then looking forward to RLCA #2.

1CC33536-C058-4500-9292-8FFF365C0A20.jpeg

B46E64C0-19E2-42AA-9B65-54B43065E546.jpeg

All done with the skids. Also bought 2 ft of metalized blanket to shield the exhaust on the outside chance the newly exposed upper fuel tank could get heat exposure. Will hope to install that next weekend.

Took a short 1 hr drive to a local lake/creek complex to get some summer water play in. Plunked the little fridge and little electric gen in the back. Kismet! Ran the whole way there on the car acdc -> generator -> 12v cig -> fridge. While there ran on the generator. 2 hours later still ice cold and snacks were ready to roll.

Bonus, the generator sits in the little space in the corner that the fridge doesn't use. No power loss so no need to reset the fridge temp setting at any point. Generator at 100% at home, at parking, and back at home, so this looks like it will work great for driving days, and 25+ hours between driving.

Great to hear it worked out for you!

30Ah usable is fully respectable and plenty when properly setup. Going for more oftentimes, is just more.

Yeah, 45W is a pretty crap recharge rate. Even 90W (the PV limit/aftermarket charger) isn't very good. My use case is go out for 2 or 3 days, run it to zero over a couple nights, and then recharge at home. If it won't meet that I'll have to get some solar or a DCDC involved. I think 30 hours of run time should be ok for this use case though. Fingers crossed.

I personally find 45W and 90W charge rates descente. On my travel trailer with a 100ah electric generator, I only rely on small a 60W adapter to charge from my rooftop solar array. Even with heavy electronics use, it is sufficient to keep the battery topped off day after day.

Last edited:
Sure, I think there is some spec envy vs need here, I’m new to the whole battery game and tend to think only the highest rating will do. . . The other great thing about even a 90w charge rate is that it pairs nicely with a simple solar setup. No need for 400w as it has no where to go. I think eventually I’ll do the built in, but for now I’m still at basics and figuring out the camp kitchen far more pressing.

On a 'hot' tip from @Taco2Cruiser , I added some heat shield to the mid-pipe where it passes near the Transfer case and Fuel tank. The blanket came with a nice double sided instruction set, and 2 feet cost about $50. I like this solution a lot as it also provide protection to the transfer case, which heat shield is dependent on the transfer "skid" for bolting up, that skid I removed when I put in the Asfir Transfer Case skid. I also met my new best friend on this job, stainless zip ties, where have these been all my life? So on to the details:

*NOTE FIBERGLASS HANDLING RULES APPLY*
Make a template
Cut it out
Cut out a perimeter of insulation and fold over
ZIp tie it up
Sleep easy

IMG_0137.JPG

IMG_3012.JPG

IMG_3767.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom