The Green, The Bad, and The Ugly (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Rough. That's about as candy-coated and optimistic of a description that you can apply to this old man. He was ridden hard and put away wet, put out to pasture to spend the rest of his days in the rich farmlands of the San Joaquin Valley, California, amongst the lazy cows and their multitudinous beautiful round, concentric, floral....craps.

I found this cruiser on Facebook Marketplace (d*mn you to whoever showed that app to me) and it was listed for a price below the average California cruiser cost (CCC?) of $140,000-$150,000 so I knew it was meant to be. Snapped it up for the paltry sum of several decades worth of CA taxes, and got the pink slip. I told the PO that I'd be back in a week to pick it up. Based on its condition, I wasn't worried it was going to be driving away without me in the meantime.

Fast forward to that week, and here we are:

I brought a friends little C10 (I think thats what it is, I don't know much about trucks if they don't have a little sombrero logo on em) and attempted to load it up on a 2-wheel dolly. Turns out it was far from ready for towing. Rear wheels had 3 lug nuts each on them, not even close to finger tight, and were both different sizes. The PO was there and mentioned that he had two original landcruiser wheels that he forgot to give me, so we headed back to his house 15min away. Picked up the two steelies there, but had to stop by a used tire place to slap some non-dry rotted rubber on them. Stopped for tacos in Turlock and a quick well earned Step 6. :beer:
Headed back to the cruiser, swapped out rear tires, kicked the fronts for good measure, dropped the rear driveshaft, crossed my fingers and set off! It was a mostly non-eventful drive back up to Sacramento, except for several stops for wild turkeys crossing the road. Got it back to the house, and come-alonged (came-along?) it up the driveway. Success!
Cue a repeat of Step 6. :beer::beer:

(+10 internet brownie points to the one who can spot the PO's sacrilegious mistake)

I'll keep updating as I go, and will keep this thread as a place to track my progress.

Enjoy!

I bet the cows flipped the bezel. They’re known to do that.

@onemanarmy gets the prize! I gift to you either A: 10 internet brownie points, B: a literal rats nest of insulation from behind the blower motor or C: a cup of rust and scale from the cooling jackets. Your pick; you pay shipping and handling.

And trust me, @BeerM3, I'd like to fill it with gas, but it looks like the filler neck rubber went MIA.

All signs pointed to a freshening of the cooling, fuel, ignition, and wiring in order to get this POS running. But first, a visual inspection of the engine. I pulled the numbers off the passenger side of the block, and immediately noted its a 2F. After looking up the succeeding numbers and cross referencing it to the matrix on Specter OffRoad, it turns out its a '77. Great. A '77 motor in a '74, titled as a '72. The guys' heads at Oreilly's and Vatozone are gonna explode if I need vacuum hose or an oil filter or, god forbid, wiper blades.

I decide to remove the smog equipment, as I'm trying to stick to the man (CA) every chance I can get. Bye bye air pump and EGR system.

Next I remove the front bib and radiator (radiator has more brazing/soldering patches than a community college welding 101 test blank) and remove the alternator, water pump and thermostat housing. Now based on the amount of scale and rust that came out of radiator hoses, I'm not surprised there wasn't a thermostat inside at all. Obviously it had corroded to nothing like the rest of the cooling system. ;)

Next up was to check compression numbers to see if it was even worth messing with this motor even further. I pulled all 6 spark plugs, and tossed the rat-chewed plug wires in the trash; I guess there was a rough winter for the rats in the field and desperation called for snacks of EPDM. PO had installed a new starter so I swapped in a fresh battery, added a teaspoon of 10W-30 to the cylinders, threw on a compression gauge and.......Step 6.

To be Continued.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom