The Great Western Trail (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Due to the postponement of Overland Expo West, my friends and I are thinking of doing part of the Great Western Trail from May 10th to the 17th. Have anyone done this trail before and have recommendation on where I can get gpx track or which section of the trail is scenic?

The last section from the North Rim to Utah is my favorite. It will be open even if the park is still closed.
IIRC I gave @Muttonchop my book on Great Western Trail
Thanks for the info Phil. Have you done any section of Utah? Was thinking of doing mainly the Utah portion of it.

Last edited:
Southern Utah will be nice that time of the year. I have done bits are pieces GWT in Utah but never a dedicated Utah GWT run. There is a ton of stuff just hanging around the Kanab area. Take a look at The Barracks Trail starting from the Virgin River is the fun way.

1585234756023.png

I just watched an Amazon Prime movie on the GWT. It was called "Losing the Way". The couple did it in a 5th gen 4Runner, end to end. Not the best movie, or the most engaging couple, but a little stoke nevertheless.

Freaking @Pitch you stole my comment. and yes if you can stay awake through the monotone narrator the wheeling is just enough to satiate the itch to go. it may even make you want to get out on the trail even more.

Here was a track I have from 2017, GaiaGPS - Great Western Trail

Some of the areas near Capitol Reef is for Quads/Bikes only. At least what I experienced. I would be curious to see the video to see where they bypassed.

The folks that created the documentary also have tracks. The Great Western Trail — No Roads Adventure Honor system to pay either $0 or throw them a few bucks. I did a quick comparison of the tracks and the NRA Route is very different in UT. I am sure it's cool but I don't know it if it is the official route or not.

Last edited:
Here was a track I have from 2017, GaiaGPS - Great Western Trail

Some of the areas near Capitol Reef is for Quads/Bikes only. At least what I experienced. I would be curious to see the video to see where they bypassed.

The folks that created the documentary also have tracks. The Great Western Trail — No Roads Adventure Honor system to pay either $0 or throw them a few bucks. I did a quick comparison of the tracks and the NRA Route is very different in UT. I am sure it's cool but I don't know it if it is the official route or not.
Thank you for the track, I'll add it to my Gaia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom