The Great Cover UP. GT Seat Covers. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.mybj40.blogspot.com
Hello , I haven't properly introduced myself I'm Steve in Atl Ga. I
haven't posted much but I enjoy reading everyone's posts daily ! (good laughs & info)

I have searched on the forum and could not find that many pictures of seats with covers , lots of talk about whats best and all that. Well I am posting with pictures and a few thoughts.

I looked at Wet Okle seat covers, GT / Great Covers, and SOA Covers, and trash bags.

I went with the trash bags. Cheap, replaceable, and easy cleaned. On the Fit scale was a 0 out of 10, with the price scale being a 10 out of 10. you cant beat it. I am kidding...

I went with the GT / Great Covers. Which is the same company with two different web sites. If you want the water proof covers which is a brushed canvas buy through the Great Covers web site and save 10 bucks.
Don't know why they charge you more on the GT site. I placed my order and with in three 1/2 weeks had the covers. I have an 1996 LX450 and dont believe there is any real difference in the shape of the seats. I think the LX had different grade leather?. Mine was still as dry as a witch's tit and cracked.

My first impression of the covers , they looked really good all the seams looked smooth and the general craftsmanship looked excellent. They did not have a strong oder or stink. The color did come close to the factory tan but not an exact match which could be due to sun fading and dirt on the factory seats. I dont know but the color looks good.

Installation went really smooth. The seat covers come in three sections: head rest, back , bottom. I wanted to install them without taking the seats out and see how good a fit I got. I started on the passenger side this was the hardest by far. The top half slid on easy and the head rest poped right on too. I give
the head rest a fit of 9.5 out of 10. I give the back section an 8 out of 10. The back loops under the and velcros around the bottom of the back. I had to unsnap and roll up a small srip covering this area. You wont believe what you can find in there. I had money, crap , a whole dog biskets -- but no pink panties.

Now the bottom section was a little hard to get the straps up underneath becuase the space is so small. I moved the seat all the way up and slipped the straps underneath the seat making sure not to snag any tracks or wires under the seat. This was a little trial and error to make things work. Once I had them slipped through the rest was simple. Just slip through the buckel and pull tight. Now I didnt tighten them all the way at first but I will after a few days. (simple). As for the fit, I give the bottom a 9 out of 10. I think it fits great.

cool features,
the price around $135.00
non-slip foam backing to keep them in place and a snug fit.
Bottom comes with three straps to help secure.
There is a pocket in the front of the bottom section.
There are side pockets and back pocket on the back for no additional cost.

Hopefully the pictures will show. :cheers:
crackedseat.jpg
backsm.jpg
topsm.jpg

Cool, I have had the fabric gt covers on y old 4runner, and they were great, awesome fit and quality fabric.
How about a couple pics of the covers on the seat? :)
EDIT: Never mind, I see we posted simultaneously ;)

Is that material soft/rough, stiff/supple?

I have the same covers. I like them, however feel they are a little on the tactile side. They want to rip your pants sideways when getting into the truck.

think there is any chance that the cover would damage the leather if it were still in good shape?

is the lumbar support dial thing (close to drivers right elbow) covered up by the cover?

any way to pull the dial handle off, put a hole in the cover and reinstall the handle?

also - Im curious if you could get a seat bottom with no cutout for the power seat switches from GT, how difficult would it be to remove the switches and then put them back on after recovering (giving a more factory look)??

Rusty Phillips said:
is the lumbar support dial thing (close to drivers right elbow) covered up by the cover?

any way to pull the dial handle off, put a hole in the cover and reinstall the handle?

also - Im curious if you could get a seat bottom with no cutout for the power seat switches from GT, how difficult would it be to remove the switches and then put them back on after recovering (giving a more factory look)??

There is a slit that goes around the knob. After a while they don't looks so stiff and really do blend in really well. I've had a few people ask me where I got them because they really wanted a set for their own car.

I've had mine on for about 9 months now I'd guess, and they're doing fine. I do need to scotchguard them though. They claim to be waterproof, but they do absorb a bit of moisture. Dunno if the moisture just stays in the cover and there is some sort of barrier before it gets down to the leather or what. Quite possible I suppose.

All in all, I'd give them 4.5 out of 5 stars.

Ary

-- think there is any chance that the cover would damage the leather if it were still in good shape?

No not that I could tell there is a nice foam backing that keeps the cover from slipping around. I think only time will tell how the foam holds up.

-- is the lumbar support dial thing (close to drivers right elbow) covered up by the cover?
There is a hole for it . I just didnt see it. right away. :whoops:

You can not slide into your seat anymore which takes getting used too. The cover grabs you , and does not move around on the seat. (which is good) I dont think you would call it rough feeling , its like setting on your blue jeans. (not washed)

-- also - Im curious if you could get a seat bottom with no cutout for the power seat switches from GT, how difficult would it be to remove the switches and then put them back on after recovering (giving a more factory look)??

I didnt work really hard to get the perfect fit but there is a strap near that area so you can get a clean fix. I think to get full motion from the switches you dont want to do that.

Last edited:
Do they give you a bad case of the sweat ass?

looks like the same ones i've had in my 60 for about 4 years now.

best covers i've ever bought.
GREAT COVERS does a nice job!!!!!

Haha, Ary, we seem to do the same mods. Except you got lockers, :(

Do you find the seat covers to adhear to your pants when you get in and out of the truck? That's the only down side i have to them.

I will also give them a 4.5 outta 5 stars.

oddly, great seats doesn't show any for us 60 owners, but gt seats does:confused:

If you bought the waterproof nylon covers from GT, it is the exact same pvc backed nylon fabric that specter uses on their tuff duck covers. Main differece is GT puts a layer of foam on theirs. Shouldn't be a problem with water going through..... it cant.

Ted Frazier at GT is good guy to work with. I recently had them make me a set for a 40 of mine. I wasn't sure what the seats in it were out of, so I sent Ted some pics, and they identified them as Celica seats and made the covers to fit.

Even though it's not on their site (at least I didn't see it) they have a fall camo pattern water proof fabric (brown, yellow, and black) that goes great with my yellow 40. My Toyota parts guy had the GT fabric swatches with colors not on the web site....

Owning both the Specter tuff duck and GT's, I like both. They both cost about the same, not cheap, but worth the money for the pvc fabrics durability to me.

Hello , I haven't properly introduced myself I'm Steve in Atl Ga. I
haven't posted much but I enjoy reading everyone's posts daily ! (good laughs & info)

I have searched on the forum and could not find that many pictures of seats with covers , lots of talk about whats best and all that. Well I am posting with pictures and a few thoughts.

I looked at Wet Okle seat covers, GT / Great Covers, and SOA Covers, and trash bags.

I went with the trash bags. Cheap, replaceable, and easy cleaned. On the Fit scale was a 0 out of 10, with the price scale being a 10 out of 10. you cant beat it. I am kidding...

I went with the GT / Great Covers. Which is the same company with two different web sites. If you want the water proof covers which is a brushed canvas buy through the Great Covers web site and save 10 bucks.
Don't know why they charge you more on the GT site. I placed my order and with in three 1/2 weeks had the covers. I have an 1996 LX450 and dont believe there is any real difference in the shape of the seats. I think the LX had different grade leather?. Mine was still as dry as a witch's tit and cracked.

My first impression of the covers , they looked really good all the seams looked smooth and the general craftsmanship looked excellent. They did not have a strong oder or stink. The color did come close to the factory tan but not an exact match which could be due to sun fading and dirt on the factory seats. I dont know but the color looks good.

Installation went really smooth. The seat covers come in three sections: head rest, back , bottom. I wanted to install them without taking the seats out and see how good a fit I got. I started on the passenger side this was the hardest by far. The top half slid on easy and the head rest poped right on too. I give
the head rest a fit of 9.5 out of 10. I give the back section an 8 out of 10. The back loops under the and velcros around the bottom of the back. I had to unsnap and roll up a small srip covering this area. You wont believe what you can find in there. I had money, **** , a whole dog biskets -- but no pink panties.

Now the bottom section was a little hard to get the straps up underneath becuase the space is so small. I moved the seat all the way up and slipped the straps underneath the seat making sure not to snag any tracks or wires under the seat. This was a little trial and error to make things work. Once I had them slipped through the rest was simple. Just slip through the buckel and pull tight. Now I didnt tighten them all the way at first but I will after a few days. (simple). As for the fit, I give the bottom a 9 out of 10. I think it fits great.

cool features,
the price around $135.00
non-slip foam backing to keep them in place and a snug fit.
Bottom comes with three straps to help secure.
There is a pocket in the front of the bottom section.
There are side pockets and back pocket on the back for no additional cost.

Hopefully the pictures will show. :cheers:

Did you get leather or Leatherette?

Bumping an old Thread

I just installed these and it was a quick and easy install. Moving the seats all the way forward during part of the process makes it easier. Don't remove the lumbar knob (if you have one) just work the cover around it. Pictures look just like the first post

I installed the front set about 6 months ago. They have been great. Just today installed the rear and they are looking good. The whole set is really a nice touch for the interior. Pockets,fit, durability ease of install,pricing seems good too? I used the Endura in Dark Charcoal......

How about some pictures of some that have been on for a while?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom