1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Great Ant War of '05 has begun!

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by miked, Jul 4, 2005.

1. miked

miked

i went out to the garbage canister today and while lifting the lid, standing there in my shorts, i thought i was walking through/standing in a big spider web. when i looked down to see what it was, my legs were covered in ants and they were making their way up.

you want to see a grown man freak the F out?
    you shoulda been there...

i dropped the bag, ran to the hose, realized they were already in my shorts, dropped the hose and ran inside to the shower peeling off shirt and shorts as i ran. it was like that commercial for the fancy shower head where the couple are taking their clothes off as they run across the lawn trying to beat each other to the shower.

i went back to the scene and was horrified by what i saw. there must have been some tasty juice leaking from a garbage bag because the whole area was like a live black carpet of ants. you could see two areas of dead/squashed ants from where i stood for a moment.
    i think i'm going to have to call a professional on this one.
    last year (Great Ant War of '04) was merely declared a truce because the weather turned cold and they had to retreat.

i'm not going to ask what the best solution is because i've seen it discussed here at length. i just thought you all might get a giggle out that story. i got alot of itchy,swollen red bites so i didn't get to laugh per say but... go ahead. laugh it up if you want

2. BLKDOG40

BLKDOG40

I feel your pain

Fireant bites from mowing the lawn yesterday...
    IH8ANTS :mad:
    [​IMG]

3. rollerbagel

rollerbagel

I hate ants

gawd I hate ants....no...really...I freakin' hate ants.

now I'll probably get flamed by some ant loving 'save the ants'
    ant huggin' freak...

but I hate ants.

remember the book "Leningen Versus the Ants"? (sp?)
    had to read it in junior high...I'll never be the same.

did I mention I hate ants?

My wife can sympathize with you man...she was standing around
    in a "yard" down in Honduras a few years back. She was wearing
    Birkenstocks with bare feet....ya she didn't know the fire ants where
    there until they signaled each other for a bite....neat.

I hate 'em I tell ya. :mad:

I know I know...seek professional help...hehheh :D

4. miked

miked

no, but i remember the movie Phase IV
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070531/

i remember seeing it as a kid and then about a year or two ago.
    it's not a great movie but sorta neat idea.
    the best part is the close up shot of the ant crawling on the boob. as a kid, i was like.. HEY LOOK! A BOOB! but later i realized it was the point in the movie where you're supposed to realize the humans are all doomed. or something like that.

i went back out to the garbage and they have receeded due to the heat of the mid-day sun(about 110 right now). maybe now is my chance to show them what weapons of mass destruction are all about?

5. GetsUThere

GetsUThere

Ants suck.

Fire ants really, really suck. I got some bites like that a little while back. Took forever to heal up and they keep hurting.

miked, good luck with your infestation. No laughing from me... been there.

6. Bluto

Bluto

Live here in No LA county high desert. I have one kid that loves to leave crumbs everywhere. Everytime I wake up there are ants marching to and fro. I definitely did not have ant problems when I lived in AZ - only scorpions and black widows. But I'll tell what. If Blackdog can attest, Firesants from Texas and the southeast can give you blisters and a case of scratching all day long and after that. Some people can have an anaphylactic reactions with their venoms. Grew up in TX and had my share of fireant mounds when I mowed the lawn.

7. brian

brian SILVER Star

if you play your cards right, maybe you can get them to over extend their supply lines/lines of comm.
    but i would really go for the nukes before, they cross the "line" into your "country", if they are able to setup a beachhead inside you'll be in real trouble.

8. hj60

hj60

What part of AZ did you live in? I'm in Tempe and we are infested.
    Bought that Ortho Home Defense stuff and plan to try that out this week.
    It's 105°F right now and I haven't seen an ant all day, but I know they're here somewhere.

9. DSRTRDR

DSRTRDR I can mangle anything ... SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Buy the bait thingies, they do indeed work. Professional ant hunters (exterminators) would do the same - they told me. Less than a week, and by then, the ants have poisoned their nest. Half of our house had ants underneath, they came out every crease; now haven't had a problem since 2 years. There are also outdoors bait stations available that you push into the ground.

10. Bluto

Bluto

Lived in Peoria (near Sun City blue hairs) for 3 years before moving to CA. I thought we could get used to the heat - we tried. Most of the black widows we saw was outside (not inside). They had webs from the edge of the roof to the side of the house. I didnt use an exterminator because my kids were 4 and 3 years old. Did not want to expose them. Just killed the spiders and cleaned the webs. Makes me wonder if they were in the attic. Scorpion wise just saw them in the yard. Termite was also a worry. Didnt see any ants while I was there. By the way - Fork em! (ASU Football fan when I was there).