"The great 1HZ Smoke show": (losing fuel pressure overnight?) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Convection heater!
Plumbs via the block drain with the included 5/8" adapter.
Mount the heater with the included kit, using the included "Y" to tap into the heater hose to firewall.
This install can be completed so easily by using a deep 14mm socket to remove the block drain.
Only thing better would be an Espar or Webasto.

Been considering these as well. Always used frost plug heaters but convection style is next level for sure. I'll probably end up procrastinating until October when suddenly our double digits are negative instead of positive. 🤣

A diesel heater is also on my radar. But at least it can start now in reasonable temps without the smoke screen. Progress!

Just to update, in case you're not suffering through my long and rambling old Betsy build thread..

I dropped the fuel tank (I'm making it sound easy but in reality it was anything but) and replaced the fuel pickup tube which sees metal lines coming out of the tank. They were rusty at the bend and I'm reasonably sure that is where the air was entering. I also took the opportunity to clean and POR15 the tank and the skid plate, and replace all of the other rubber lines, as well as cleaning up and painting the fill tube assembly.

I have now had every day this week of smooth idling almost immediately after a very fast 3/4 turn start, and NO SMOKE SHOW! My neighbor must think I haven't been going to work? LOL. I should add that ambient temps were somewhere around five degrees Celsius and my first start of the day sees a double glow and lasting about 8 seconds.

In response to a previous post here, I do have a lower rad hose heater, and when this is plugged in it obviously makes a huge difference. A block heater would be preferable of course but I haven't gotten definitive answers on which frost plug to use and the clock orientation of the element yet. If anyone can shed some light on this for a 1hz, I'm all ears. (Or is it all earmuffs? LOL)

Here's the relevant section of thread where I drop the tank, if anyone feels the need for self torture. 🤣
Just saw this tread today but this is a common issue as these get older , the pickup lines start rusting right at the welds on the cap and sometimes even the metal fuel lines near the rear wheel get small pin holes , every time I have fuel delivery problem these are the first I inspect and then check if the primer pump still function as I had to replace several of those in the past also.

As things get older they start to creak, pop, and make other unusual noises as well as leak from time to time but enough about me. 😁
Sounds like you’re well on your way to correcting your issues. 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom