The Grease Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Grease is one of those things that seems like it should be simple, but often isn't, at least to a new mechanic.

Ideally I'll come away with a few go-to products that I can keep on hand for their given applications. My understanding is that there are three basic types. I'd like clarification on this and think it could benefit other too.

As I understand:

1) Things that move fast
2) Things under a lot of load
3) Things that benefit from being coated

I could give my basic understanding of each, including purpose and recommended products, but I'd like to hear what others have to say. Some of the uses in mind are things like wheel bearings, drive shafts and u-joints, ball joints, cv joints, general corrosion prevention, and probably things I missed.

Please feel free to say what specifically you use and where/how, along with any other advice. Cheers!

Green Grease Home|Waterproof|Synthetic|High Performance

One and done.
I have literally been using this grease for 20yrs in everything from tie rods and balls joints to u-joints and slip yokes to wheel bearings and swivel balls and caliper slide pins.
I have mixed it with gear oil to make my own “00” grease too.
I swear by this stuff. It resists dirt. Water proof. Doesn’t freeze. Doesn’t turn to liquid. Farm implements...holding gaskets in place...i’d Use it on salad if I ate salad.

Green Grease Home|Waterproof|Synthetic|High Performance

One and done.
I have literally been using this grease for 20yrs in everything from tie rods and balls joints to u-joints and slip yokes to wheel bearings and swivel balls and caliper slide pins.
I have mixed it with gear oil to make my own “00” grease too.
I swear by this stuff. It resists dirt. Water proof. Doesn’t freeze. Doesn’t turn to liquid. Farm implements...holding gaskets in place...i’d Use it on salad if I ate salad.
No moly. Fail

And yet I’m the only one on here without the famous Land Cruiser driveline clunk...hhmmmm....
Anecdotal. Glad you like it. I will stick to tribological engineers

The Green Grease is NLGI 2 and so meets the Toyota requirements.

I do like a Moly grease for the drive shaft. But a $5 Ford rated chassis grease meets that requirement and can be found in any parts store.

I used to spend hours on BITOG and chased exotic greases to find the best. You can find a perfectly adequate grease at any autoparts store or big box. Remember, the LC was designed to be used in Africa and other third world environments and it does not require dainty consumables.

The best is probably anything applied today. Get off the computer/phone, get on your coveralls, get under the truck and apply what is in the grease gun now.

Valvoline Moly-Fortified Multi-Purpose Grease Ford : Product Catalog - Valvoline<sup>®</sup>

This is the tub version, but it can be had in tube form and is available at nearly every auto parts store across the US and probably even Walmart. It's moly fortified, has lithium as well for water resistance, NLGI #2, and so on. It's not some fancy exotic grease, but it is G2G as well as being less than $5 a tube, the available anywhere really tipped the scales for me. I use it in everything but the wheel bearings which get Lucas Red N' Tacky

The Green Grease is NLGI 2 and so meets the Toyota requirements.

I do like a Moly grease for the drive shaft. But a $5 Ford rated chassis grease meets that requirement and can be found in any parts store.

I used to spend hours on BITOG and chased exotic greases to find the best. You can find a perfectly adequate grease at any autoparts store or big box. Remember, the LC was designed to be used in Africa and other third world environments and it does not require dainty consumables.

The best is probably anything applied today. Get off the computer/phone, get on your coveralls, get under the truck and apply what is in the grease gun now.

Exactly. Any modern grease is better than the grease that was used when these trucks were built.
Green Grease is $8/tube. It’s what I like and use. Everyone else can use whatever they want. I like “one and done”.
My wifes van gets service once a year, sway bar end links and balls joints only get greased once a year, (5,000 miles) and the Green Grease is still good when I lube the van.

And yet I’m the only one on here without the famous Land Cruiser driveline clunk...hhmmmm....

Bold statement and false. My 03 has no thunk and hasn't since I purchased several years ago. I've lubed the shafts once with Mobil1 synthetic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom