1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The future of the Landcruiser in the US

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by crazy canuck, Jan 28, 2004.

1. crazy canuck

crazy canuck Guest

This is what I'm thinking will happen as the GX470 is out. now, and with Lexus likely cancelling the lx470, it sounds VERY likely that the brand equity in the landcruiser name will end up becoming a very luxurious (though less luxurious than the GX470) landcruiser--My bet is for 05 or at the VERY latest, 06.

Any thoughts ?

2. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

My thought on this is WHO CARES! If all they might bring in to N. America is more vehicles with less ability and build quality than my 80 then :flipoff2: 'em. I'll get motivated to take some interest when they get off their asses and decide to put out a capable truck that is along the lines of what others pretend to be.

3. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    A good topic to be moved to chat.

4. shocker

shocker

Crazy,

You know how when you were in college, or even high school, a teacher would hand out a test and say that there are three or four essay questions? Remember how the entire class would groan?

STOP ASKING OPEN ENDED ESSAY QUESTIONS IN 80'S TECH.

5. phatairman

phatairman SILVER Star

Damn Shocker, your right on topic.

[move][glow=organe,2,300] :flipoff2:ESSAY QUESTIONS :flipoff2:[/glow][/move]

6. Pitbull

Pitbull

Crazy I think Toyota decision on the LC is all about $$$ and it is platform based. Example the Sequioa is based on the Tundra truck platform and the GX470 is now the Forerunner platform. Both are high production vehicles which lowers the cost. This makes the continuation of the LC expensive and based on the consumer buying patterns not something that would survive in North America. My local Toyota Dealer only had a hand full of LC's for sale last year and discounted the hell out of their last 03 to move it off the lot. Hard to sell a LC to Joe consumer when they can buy a Sequoia for over $10K less with the same equipment. JMHO

7. FJ809496TLC

FJ809496TLC 80 series addict GOLD Star

Rumor is that Toyota is thinking about discontinuing both LC100 and the Highlander. With enough pressure from the Landcruiser followers, there is a possibility of a LC version of GX470 might make it to the North American market. If not, then the FJ Cruiser is a go within 2 years. :)

8. Jim_Chow

Jim_Chow

[quote author=Pitbull link=board=2;threadid=10713;start=msg96286#msg96286 date=1075301734]
    Crazy I think Toyota decision on the LC is all about $$$ and it is platform based. Example the Sequioa is based on the Tundra truck platform and the GX470 is now the Forerunner platform. Both are high production vehicles which lowers the cost. This makes the continuation of the LC expensive and based on the consumer buying patterns not something that would survive in North America. My local Toyota Dealer only had a hand full of LC's for sale last year and discounted the hell out of their last 03 to move it off the lot. Hard to sell a LC to Joe consumer when they can buy a Sequoia for over $10K less with the same equipment. JMHO
    [/quote]

Buddy of mine who bought a '03 said toyota USA only sells around 200-250 LC 100's a year! That's it! And for that, they still have to retain a full parts inventory. Notice on the toyota commercials on tv, all vehicles except the LC are discounted. The Toyota Highlander looks exactly like the Toyota Kluger in Japan. Both the Kluger and Harrier (aka Lexus RX300/330) are poor sellers in the JDM.

9. crazy canuck

crazy canuck Guest

ARe you sure only 250 a year ??_ WOW that seems low--and if so, why wouldn't they hold their value MUCH stronger? Not saying that they drop like rocks, but a vehicle with such a low volume, and such huge brand loyalty and recognition as being reliable and capable off road, you would think that the values would be SUPER strong...hmmm

10. bad_religion_au

bad_religion_au

yeah, but they only sell 250 a year for a reason, not many americans have the intelligence to buy them, so they may have a low resale value, due to the fact only a minimum amount of people understand why they are paying more for them, than buying a new chevvy or dodge...

11. shocker

shocker

Toyota USA sold 6,671 Land Cruisers last calendar year,
    Lexus sold 9,193 LX470's last calendar year

:rolleyes:

12. 80and100cruisers

80and100cruisers SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Yea, 200-300 100's sold in the US in a year....no freakin way! Toooooooo low a number... Those are numbers for like Bently's and stuff.

-Matt

13. 97 FZJ80

97 FZJ80

Albums:
    I believe Toyota is making a comeback in building their corporate image in addition to their bottom line. Just witness the revivial of the MR-S and Altezza (IS200/300) lines that puts Toyota back in the middle of the performance market segment. Landcruiser is the best known brand within Toyota and I don't think Toyota will abandon it lightly. While most auto companies introduce "soft-roaders" to increase their sales and profit, they continue to push the hardcore offroader for their brand image and to help sell the softroaders. Just witness the revival of the Jeep Rubican, D-C G-Wagon, and the Hummer H2.

John

14. bwbski

bwbski

there are like 200 hundred lc100 in my town, so no way they only sell that many a year. sorry

15. nyk438

nyk438 Guest

Who cares, if it's not as good as the 80 then :flipoff2:

16. Jim_Chow

Jim_Chow

Yeah, a couple hundred units/yr is hard to believe. Maybe a couple of thousand units plus two times that in certified "pre-owned" 100's (are those counted in the numbers?) How many Sequoias are sold these days? LA has a lot of LC 100's, but they're concentrated in the affluent west side. But even nowdays at the super-sized dealers that carry hundreds of vehicles, there are only a couple of new LC 100's in stock, and more used ones from returned leases these days. I suspect sales have really plummeted since the introduction of the Sequoia. My buddy said the salesman at his local Toyota dealer told him the Sequioa was the same as the LC100...I had to convince him hard that they were two completely different vehicles, so I'm sure it's ignorance on both the consumer and salesman's parts. For what it's being used for (driving the kids around), the LC100 is way overkill...the extra $10K is spent (on less space) is, for most buyers, for bragging rights to make a statement. Toyota ought to do more to differentiate the rigs in both looks since customers will probably never discover the difference in capability...maybe a more retro body style like w/ the 70 series, Land Rover defender, or Benz G-class would attract more customers, along w/ the live front axle. These days, all the new Toyotas seem to look similar in the front.

17. Brentbba

Brentbba Former Golfer SILVER Star

I've got mine, so who really cares! :D

18. shocker

shocker

Toyota sold 2,934 MR Spyders last year.

31,376 Lexus GX470's
    67,067 Sequoias
    73,204 Rav4's
    101,316 Tundras
    109,308 4Runners
    120,174 Highlanders
    154,154 Tacomas

This is getting "chit-chattyish" so I'll stop now.