The FJ Company - 1977 FJ40 Restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The FJ Company

www.fj.co
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.fj.co
Hey ya'll,

This is Cody Warner, Lead Technician at The FJ Company. As a follow up to the Copperstate Overland build, we want to post the progress on a new project we just started.

Unlike the Copperstate which had a significant number of mods, this will be a period correct restoration or at least close to it. Our client wants this 40 to look and feel like it just drove off the assembly line, but he did request a few minor upgrades for drivability and comfort.

The donor is a 1977 FJ40 that has spent most of it career in California and it'll be going back to CA when we're done with it. Solid donor to work with, minimal rust, and mostly original parts except a few mods by a previous owner.

Below are some of the pre-restoration pics, but you can see the entire gallery here.

image_573cc315aa6ec_01.jpg

image_573cc6b38e558_04.jpg

image_573cc4178c183_14.jpg

image_573cc400c5653_13.jpg

image_573cc7141f969_41.jpg

...and we thought some of you would get a kick out of this one:

image_573cc6d8ca771_38.jpg

Stay tuned for progress! As always any comments and feedback is welcome.

cant wait to see the restoration. I checked out your website, beautiful builds! Could you share any information on the jerry can mount you show as an option? I really like the way the license plate mounts to it. Very cool looking. It would great on my rig.

Looks like mine but an earlier Cali spec 77. Keeping the thermorector exhaust manifold? I hope the owner has you reapply the stripes, maybe in vinyl so they can be removed easy. Looking forward to this one.

Edit: I see it has a Downey header. If he wants to go assembly line correct I do have the TR manifold off mine.

Last edited:
Subscribed! :popcorn:

I'll be following this build for sure as I do a frame off restoration of my 1978

Thanks for sharing this resto; @The FJ Company will you guys be auctioning off any Landcruisers at RM auctions in Scottsdale this January 2017?

Thanks for the comments guys! This is going to be a great build!

@ginmtb , @iptman , as far as the stripes go, you make a good point, they look very cool and give it that vintage Toyota look. Our Client has requested keeping this the original Yellow paint without the stripes.

@iptman , we will be going back to a factory manifold, our parts team has the correct manifold already sourced and ready to go. Thanks for the offer, I will keep you in my notes in case we have a need in the future.

@emac , the jerry can basket we offer like the one we used on the Copperstate (see it here) is built in house, these are typically built to order and are very sturdy and a great addition for our customers who wish to extend their range or just have a little peace of mind.

Keep the comments coming, more pictures and updates to come soon!

...as far as the stripes go, you make a good point, they look very cool and give it that vintage Toyota look. Our Client has requested keeping this the original Yellow paint without the stripes.

Your client should be fired.

Loving' the stripes and color combo. But that's my $0.02. I'm guessing that the client is contributing a bit more than that to the build fund, so my feelings won't be hurt if the stripes are dropped;)

Do you guys media blast or chemically strip the body? Also, did the carb cooling fan kick on after you shut off the ignition? I've tried 2 different controllers unique to the Cali spec 40s and still can't get it to kick on. I swapped in a Fed spec manifold so I'm wondering if it doesn'tt get hot enough to close the thermistor. I'm guessing the headers this one had wouldn't get hot enough either. Anyway, just curious.

Last edited:
Do you guys media blast or chemically strip the body? Also, did the carb cooling fan kick on after you shut off the ignition? I've tried 2 different controllers unique to the Cali spec 40s and still can't get it to kick on. I swapped in a Fed spec manifold so I'm wondering if it doesn'tt get hot enough to close the thermistor. I'm guessing the headers this one had wouldn't get hot enough either. Anyway, just curious.
I'm 90% sure they toss the body and replace it with all aluminum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom