The Firetruck Project

Joined
Nov 16, 2011
Messages
11
E5D45DEA-8A2D-463E-A69A-814DC2DE13B2.png
So back in January I bought a Japanese fire truck. It’s a 1991 Nissan Safari / Patrol. Kind of unconventional in America but a rust free, straight axled 6cyl 4x4 with less than 3000 miles was hard to passs up. The more I’ve dug into to this rig the more I like it. I figured I’d start a build thread to share the firetruck journey here.
 
Last edited:
Joined
Nov 16, 2011
Messages
11
The first thing I did was check the fluids, made me a speed cheat sheet and removed the damn buzzer off the back of the speedo that lets you know (very loudly) that your going over 110kph.

D73671CD-2C9C-4BEC-BEF3-85BE79F1DE61.jpeg
F97BDE42-8FAE-4522-8334-B31EC5F639DD.jpeg
85DFA197-A258-4920-9E21-B9C493472AE8.jpeg
 
Joined
Nov 16, 2011
Messages
11
Then it was time to remove the pumper bed and the ballast weight from the front. The very heavy pumper bed. I don’t have a shop or a garage or a fork lift so we had to get crafty. A couple of ratchet straps and hi-lift jack or two, a lot of unbolting and grinding (everything that was bolted was welded also) and some cussing. Finally the fire truck’s 2400lbs lighter.

BF53C530-6B1E-443B-B595-DFA419F4CF77.jpeg


375FCEFC-0DD2-447D-91C9-DA833F4357D5.jpeg


4418B3B0-0F3C-49B9-81C5-3CA1A5D0A796.jpeg


A388B7FD-EF2E-4F74-8948-6415C2B7C4AC.jpeg


228011D9-FF6E-4C31-A950-5FB7870B2CA1.jpeg
 
Joined
Nov 16, 2011
Messages
11
I was having issues with the carburetor so I swapped it out for a two barrel Weber after doing the vent modification to make them climb. Modified the factory air box to fit and presto. Still looks factory other than the gorilla tape. Haha.

B3687A75-EFFD-4999-9897-87ACD6CEA4FB.jpeg


D5B4415C-7DD2-4C7D-A901-F9931B2E413A.jpeg
 
Joined
Nov 16, 2011
Messages
11
So I needed a bed. Just so happens a buddy of mine is retiring his Toyota tube truck after plenty of years on the rocks. Watta you know, it kinda fits.

12B6FA97-FCAB-4771-A24B-E224D69D6620.png


2D1B0677-F5F2-412C-B09A-534D6104746D.jpeg


A7D54581-680E-4952-93C8-0134BE78D271.jpeg


637D2D75-85CC-4865-81C5-BBECFC1AAE18.jpeg
 
Joined
Nov 16, 2011
Messages
11
I needed to put a witch on because I’m leaving these diffs open. Don’t want to break some hard to get axles. So I mounted this Ramsey 8.5 upside down so I could get to the clutch then bolted the factory bumper to the winch mount. Turned out pretty slick if I say so myself.

3FE33D0A-4F61-484D-868A-88B7D47D3CE4.jpeg


40290F90-8382-45DE-B8E0-BFD7466055CD.jpeg


7B3E0953-1244-44BF-87AC-E247DBA23F7E.jpeg


14E30570-402C-41CF-BD49-2038BC62C219.jpeg
 
Joined
Nov 16, 2011
Messages
11
I was left with this big empty space under the rear seat where the pump was so I got some sheet metal, some hinges and made me a tool box. For a few more creature comforts I stacked a couple of ammo cans for a console. Cut another ammo can up and made a 3X cup holder and installed the trusty JBL Bluetooth speaker for tunes.

E4C734FC-CF6A-4F07-B9D8-DA4939CA0481.jpeg


BE1B1735-3824-47F0-9896-4B47C60F6F08.jpeg


3BB2E3CF-0E06-4256-AA67-5CD2AC7FD6B7.jpeg


6588999C-74ED-4FA2-AF91-EA0A5D9650DD.jpeg
 
Joined
Nov 16, 2011
Messages
11
Here’s where I’m at now. I ordered up some 315/75-16 with new wheels (The factory wheels were split rim death circles). The factory gearing is 4.68:1 which is about perfect for these tires and I had to make some 1.5” longer shackles to clear them. We’ve been driving around some back roads having fun but it rides like a skateboard and has no flex so the next step I have In mind is the 63”Chevy spring swap for the rear. In the front I’m thinking three of the longer factory Rear leaves with a new drag link for the steering to eliminate the extra pitman arm. I plan on keeping the leaves under the axles. From what I see it should give me 3-4” of lift with a comfortable ride and some articulation.

57A18E7D-773B-4298-850D-F2F561CD4218.jpeg


21E77945-BD72-48BC-8EC2-88D2050B8714.jpeg


43B7DAF3-E447-4BFA-A526-E29B3339CBAC.jpeg


92D8EC2C-D898-435A-8D54-AE86B60308EF.jpeg


DA10A13B-0A79-4818-84A5-D45E8622791B.jpeg
 
Joined
Aug 5, 2014
Messages
30
Location
Aichi, Japan.....for now
Here’s where I’m at now. I ordered up some 315/75-16 with new wheels (The factory wheels were split rim death circles). The factory gearing is 4.68:1 which is about perfect for these tires and I had to make some 1.5” longer shackles to clear them. We’ve been driving around some back roads having fun but it rides like a skateboard and has no flex so the next step I have In mind is the 63”Chevy spring swap for the rear. In the front I’m thinking three of the longer factory Rear leaves with a new drag link for the steering to eliminate the extra pitman arm. I plan on keeping the leaves under the axles. From what I see it should give me 3-4” of lift with a comfortable ride and some articulation.

View attachment 1926507

View attachment 1926510

View attachment 1926512

View attachment 1926514

View attachment 1926515
That thing is AWESOME!!
 

st1age

 
Joined
Feb 10, 2007
Messages
121
Location
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Wow. Nice job. I thought it could be done - I've imported about 20 vehicles from Japan, including a 600cc 10foot Mitsubishi firetruck that I sold as is. I will look harder at the bigger firetrucks.
 
Last edited:
Top Bottom