"the external source is not connected" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is the message I get when I hit DISC to play a cd from the CD changer. 2003 with Nav system.

Up until now it has always played CDs with no problems. Looks like something may have come unconnected but all wireing is out of sight. The 6 CD cassette holder operates OK - that is I can remove the carasel and put in discs and reinsert the carasel no problem. All other radio functions work OK

Bumping this thread even though it's old. I have the same issue, although I cannot eject the CD cassette. However, if I remove the battery and then reinstall the battery, I can hear the CD changer cycle through the discs. The eject light is not lit and does not seem to have any impact. Is the changer bad?

I had this happen for the same time a couple weeks ago. No manner of hitting, bumping, cursing at etc. would get it to change. The cassette would eject etc. perfectly. However, I turned off the car, turned it back on and now all is well. No idea what happened, but if you guys figure it out I'll keep it in mind if it happens again.

I recently tried to replace my antenna mast, but several pieces of the old antenna had broken off inside the piece of the shaft that connects to the motor. I removed the motor and the radio still worked fine, so I put in on the work bench for a couple days. Today, I went to work on the motor, I removed the shaft, cleaned out the broken pieces and the placed it back in the cruiser. When I turned the vehicle back on, I got an all black Nav screen. Afraid I may have damaged the motor, I unplugged it, but have not removed it yet. Now when I turned the cruiser back on all I get on the Nav screen is this message, "external source is not connected" No radio, no CD, no GPS.

Any suggestions on what to do from here?

2005 Cruiser.

05 LC DVD changer problem
Toyota Land Cruiser Navigation System

I can't find a specific reference of "external source..." for the audio system/MFD/Nav/rear view monitor in my hard copy FSM. Saw another thread where similar year model Lexus IS models were affected. At first glance, there doesn't appear to be any easy or cheap fixes.

In the online FSM, "Body Electrical" .pdf, pg 14 of 212 starts a diagnostic section for the audio system. (BE-129 is the FSM page number).

Update on my issue, not attempting to high jack the thread, I think our underlying problems are different, but the "external source..." error is the same.

I removed the kick panel on the passenger side and inspected the small fuse box there. replaced a blown 10 fuse, and the problem was fixed.

I need to get a new antenna motor, apparently when I tried to repair mine I killed it, and after I plugged it back it, that caused the fuse to blow.

Currently the full Nav system is working, including radio, CD, GPS. When the "external source" messaging displayed, I was only getting very limited function, no GPS, Radio, CD etc.

Hope this helps someone else.

Greetings- Hate to bump this thread again, but also didn't want to start a new thread. I have the exact same issues as post number 1 in this thread. CDs were playing fine and now I get the "external source is not connected" message when hitting the disc button to play a CD. My LC is a 2003 model.

I also have twice (in the same day) received the message "check the connection of air conditioner" and lost all hvac controls as well as the temperatures display.

Any thoughts as to whether this issue is a "pin 60" issue similar to what occurs on the 2004s? Something else I should consider?
Thanks everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom