The evaluation of the 45 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

love2fly

Flying the Mountains of the NW
Threads
Just a few shots of the 82 FJ45 as it progresses to its complete build. Just put on the LWB canopy cover and my wife loves it. She love's to sit in a chair in the back with the sides rolled up and read while I fish. Next rear slider and I am really done, maybe. Slider info coming soon.
:popcorn:

7-27-20131-320 s.jpg

7-27-20131-200 s 2.jpg

7-27-20131-400 s 3.jpg

Wow. Looks awesome. Love the look with the canopy.

Agree it looks geat with the timber supports and bows. May I ask what timber you used to fabricate this canopy frame.

The wood is just plain old Birch wood that I bought from our local hardware store. Stained with a Cherry stain and then sealed, that's about it. The bows are from an old Army truck. I use the Toyota's parts information manual to come up with the bows brace. Made the bow pockets and a steel bar that goes in the both rear corners then bolted it to the existing Toyota LWB holes. We have a bed frame I made that goes into the rear of the bed then we use a blow up mattress to sleep on when camping. Works great. :wrench:

5-23-20131-320 s 2 copy copy.jpg

5-20-20131-320 s.jpg

That's a beautiful rig right there....nice setup!

Big thanks to you all, we have had the 45 in the high desert several times now and the canopy will be a big plus.
Cheers

Last edited:
Definitely love how the canvas cover came out. It looks pretty cool indeed! How well does it hold up to freeway speeds when fully buttoned-up?

Might have to think about something similar using square tubing for the frame.

:cheers:

Steve

Hi Steve,
as far as HW speeds goes, at its max 65 mph it shows no ballooning nor imploding, with just a little rippling. I think the uses of the 1/2" electrical conduit tubes along both lower areas where it straps down to the sides really was a help. Still a bit new so most of the wrinkles will disappear.
I was also going to build my frame out of steel round tube or square tube but decided that a wider surface for the cover to lay on would be best so I used 2" wide wood which is also a lot cheaper than steel.
I also was going to use a fabric called TOP GUN that is mostly used for boat covers and very costly, but found this stuff called REX-TEX in the color of sand that reminded me of what we use on our military trucks and trailers that seems to hold up very well in hot climates so I went with that and glad I did. Both had the same life and UV Characteristics.
The only thing I am going to change is put in a rear window up front. It sucks not being able to see what is be hide you when out wheeling. The good thing is this can be done anytime and I plan on gluing a foam ring around the window on the inside to help separate it from smacking the front headache rack when driving helping eliminates those wear marks that show on plastic from abrasion.
I can post more photos and more on the building of this if need.
:steer:

7-29-20131-320 s 1.jpg

7-29-20131-200 s 1.jpg

7-29-20131-400 s 2.jpg

More for the top

7-29-20131-320 s 2.jpg

7-29-20131-250 s.jpg

7-29-20131-400 s.jpg

Well worth the time to make, consider it. Takes less than a minute to roll up on all three sides. Works for sitting in the outdoors out of the sun and rain, this is what my wife likes.

7-29-20131-250 s 1.jpg

7-27-20131-320 s 9.jpg

7-27-20131-250 s 2.jpg

She's a beaut' Clark.

Truly awesome truck. I recently bought one myself and am very interested in seeing what you do for the rear slider. Since I don't expect anyone to sell a ready-made one, are you having a custom one made (RV or marine?) or are you building one yourself?

I also love the canopy and again, plan to add one to my truck. Great work.

Thank you Doc Tari for the kind words. Would love to see your rig just post a few photos on so we can get an idear of what you are working with. They are fun.
I am having a few issues with the transfer case making a bit of a noise, but that is half the fun working with a 31 year old 4x4. But its almost 99.99% done.
Yes I am working on having a slider made for the FJ45s from a company in the states. The window is being made as I write this so in a few weeks I will have a demo at my door. Its more of a RV type slider due to the difficulties of making a center opening window for the 45 this was the best option and will work out just fine. I will post the complete information after the install on the 45 owners site on Mudd.
Enjoy your ride.
:cheers:

Mmm progress. Now to put in some no see em netting and a fridge for ur wife of course

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using IH8MUD

Now that's what I'm talking about....:clap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom