Builds The Escape Wagon Restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

And the final (I hope) piece of the equation. I was going to check for exhaust/intake manifold gasket leaks. While hunting one of the top bolts of one of the heat shields…..my eye spotted an unconnected ground. It was obviously disconnected when I installed those gaskets and was sitting up under the EFI….contacting metal but not connected which explains much.
Field tested up and down hills, let it heat soak then drove it again. Not a glitch in performance.
Another self inflicted wound healed.

16CDA30C-A952-476F-B429-3080001F7FFE.jpeg

Can't remember but isn't that the ground for the injectors??
I believe it is. It was sitting in a place where it touched metal but not being attached properly likely explains the intermittent nature of the bogging situation. It was a sudden cutoff so losing ground on injectors seems to fit the description.

No updates of significance other than to say….MAN IF FEELS GREAT TO HAVE A GEAT RUNNING RIG AGAIN!!!! I’m driving this thing everywhere, short trips, long trips and trips I make up just to have an excuse to drive it.
Thanks to all that provided advice on this thread and a couple other ones I created while I chased my issues down.

What are your thoughts on 5 speeds and 4.11 with your tire selection? I’m going to get a set of 31x10.5r15 at 30.5” tall and I’m thinking it will be just fine at a little bit of elevated rpm at a 70mph cruise.

The truck is stock exhaust with cats and full insulation.

What are your thoughts on 5 speeds and 4.11 with your tire selection? I’m going to get a set of 31x10.5r15 at 30.5” tall and I’m thinking it will be just fine at a little bit of elevated rpm at a 70mph cruise.

The truck is stock exhaust with cats and full insulation.
Overall I’ve been happy with the setup. 1st gear is low and if I don’t come to a complete stop at a stoop sign I’ll roll off in 2nd. You do have some extra RPM at freeway speed but I live in a hilly area and the lower gearing allows for solid hill performance. IF THERE WERE non-muddier 32s it would be a perfect mating. Mine is mostly a road vehicle so off road muddies would not be enjoyable.

I really like the factory wheels. If I was gonna do something like a 70 series wheel or a 16” steelie id do a 235/85r16 at 32” even on a stock truck.

Put the rig through it’s final quality/reliability checkout ride 1:45 through the back roads (very hilly) of MA and down to Rhode Island.
Zero issues so life is good.
Stopped by Toyota of Smithfield in RI and had Noxudol (used byToyota for theor warranty Tacoma/Tundra frame rust prevention campaigns) sprayed on the frame, wheel wells and under carriage.
I had no rust issues since the original owner had it undercoated. Thought it was wise to get that refreshed.

0BF6444E-7E74-41D5-ADF2-8542D2F0FFD3.jpeg

4BE81F8F-4390-43B0-BFEF-0D6FAD9BC41F.jpeg

140C6903-7DE0-459F-A85D-10679DC8089C.jpeg

66304812-842A-48B1-B16C-60E2F6265DDD.jpeg

A2868121-A3DF-4033-9AAF-7C35EF4299FC.jpeg

Now that the rig is running great I’m knocking out a few remaining items.
Passenger window is slow and the power door locks sometimes (40% of the time) don’t unlock on the passenger front and rear.
Removed and disassembled the driver door window/lock switch assembly and cleaned contacts (Photo stolen from another thread since I didn’t grab all the shots)
The door lock contacts were really sooty and the others had soot but not horrible.
Power door locks now snap to attention…..on to the passenger door to figure out the slow “UP” function. I had previously replaced the window felt, I’ll check for alignment, connectors etc on my next avail Sunday afternoon.

2FBA540E-0F04-4711-87CE-24F88DE90EF7.png

2E7B3560-14F0-4349-8D79-DA93E069D4EC.jpeg

OK - One more problem behind me.
The rig starting having issues where it would crank but not start. I've already been though all of the sensors in the water jacket, MAF , had a new fuel pump put in etc. etc.
etc.
Took it to a buddy that is a master diagnostic Lexus technician. It took him a week but he found it. As with many things on Land Cruisers it is generally the simple stuff that causes problems.
Well......apparently a PO had replaced the body mounts. When they lowered the chassis onto the frame they pinched the wiring harness (drivers side rear of vehicle). The fuel pump was getting power but very low amps which is what had him chase down the wires inch by inch.

Here is the offending wires in all of their glory. Flatter than Herman Munster's head!
Also probably explains why some of my earlier symptoms (stuttering generally after a right hand turn).

Been running it for three weeks now and it's perfect. Even starts first crank which the rig had never done consistently.

Photos of flat wires and pinch point attached.

flat fueld pump wires.jpg

Landcruiser pinched harness.jpg

Got rid of a tick in my engine.
Replaced the push rods and readjusted valves.
One rod may have had a small bend but it could’ve just been a valve out of adjustment.
Happened to have a full set of brand new OEM rods in my parts room.

IMG_3101.jpeg

IMG_3100.jpeg

IMG_3098.jpeg

IMG_3099.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom