the drill press i'm picking up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just saw a great drill press at lowes the other day...it was a Hitatchi...the cool part was the lazer sight it came with. Center the lazer on your mark and drill away. I think it was around $200 also, they had them in-stock.

i looked at that too. it didn't seem to have the specs the harbor-freight had.
i've got to HF, but the damn press isn't in stock. i've got a rain check, and have been
checking on it every week.

i have a very large shop equiped with alot of machines, and i have found the best bang for the buck is from Grizzley Tool.
great prices, and customer service unmatched anywhere.
keep in mind, spend the most you can, or you will regret it later.
hammer

Did you pick this up yet? If so, how many minutes use did you get out of it before it broke? :D

no i still haven't picked it up because of backorder.
this press looks like it's the same one you can find through grizzley and northern tools.
my brother in law has it, and he says he can cut steel all day with it.

I'm not dissing HF but have routinely found them to be the cheapest...What are the ones that you found to be cheaper?

I bought a JET 16 speed off the floor at Sears 2 years ago for $149. It was normally a $499 rig but was missing a chuck key and the "morticing" attachment was busted (who gives a @&@&@&@& about woodworking crap anyway). My personal opinion on HF is that they sell throw away tools. I never expect anthing I buy there to last more than one or two uses and that way I'm never upset when the cheap crap I bought there breaks. On the other hand when the cheap crap I bought there lasts for years and years, much like the best $5 I ever spent on a 3lb sledge, I am pleasently surprised. Needless to say I've got a whole bunch of HF crap in my garage that has surprised me so far. I say scoop it up when they get one in stock.

I've got that hf press. It's fine. I've had mine since 2000 and have done a tone of drilling with it. Just keep the belts tight in it and it will be fine. I've got the grizzly at work and can't tell any difference. Buy the cheap extended waranty for like $10 and your good for the next five years. I also have the hf metal/ hydrolic bandsaw with water cooling. Put a good quality variable pitch blade on it and you won't be able to tell the difference between it and many of the name brand ones out there. I've had mine for five years and it's still going strong.

right on. i got two more weekends off, so i'm hoping to try to pick it up..... hoping i say. i've tried to get one 4 times.

tltaylor22 said:
I've got that hf press. It's fine. I've had mine since 2000 and have done a tone of drilling with it. Just keep the belts tight in it and it will be fine. I've got the grizzly at work and can't tell any difference. Buy the cheap extended waranty for like $10 and your good for the next five years. I also have the hf metal/ hydrolic bandsaw with water cooling. Put a good quality variable pitch blade on it and you won't be able to tell the difference between it and many of the name brand ones out there. I've had mine for five years and it's still going strong.

I think that the only difference between Grizzly and HF is the name tag. They were both made out in the provinces of China or Tiawan somwhere. They were just badged differently "at birth".

I just picked up a Rockwell 15-081 in town here for $75...

If you look hard you can find cheaper, better built drill presses...

someone is resurrecting old threads again.
i did get the press, and it's not half bad. it has a bit of vibrating, but no big deal.
i got some cheap bits from HF too, and to my surprise i can cut through the steel plate with ease with them. i thought for the price they wouldn't even scratch the surface of the steel, but i was wrong. if you need some cheap large bits, i would buy these twice.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=527

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom