The Dreaded P0401....post intake cleaning (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Firstly, let me thank you guys for all the awesome threads I have found here over the years. One can pretty much find out how to do anything on their rig on this forum.

Sorry for the long email, but wanted to give some background info as well.

Anyway, a quick background on my LX450. I picked it up 2.5 years ago. I'd been looking for one for awhile, and cam across a decent deal on a all stock (non-locked) 1997 LX450 with 170k on the clock. The starter went out on my drive home after picking it up. But that didn't phase me. Since owning it, I have done the standard items: starter, shock, plus, wires, PCV, fuel filter, valve cover gasket, etc. A few months back the radiator developed a leak, so while I had that out, I put in a new water pump, new belts and a new alternator. Easier to do that all at once, than have to go back 5 months later.

Now on to the P0401.... A few months after I bought it, my CEL came on and it was the P0401. After searching the forum, I decided to gamble and install a new EGR vacuum modulator and EGR valve (bnoth OEM), PCV and hoses at that time. The seemed to cure it for about a year and a half. In Nov, the CEL came back on and it was the same code. So, I decided to follow the footsteps of others and clean the whole system. I took the top of intake manifold off and cleaned it very well, including pulling the plug and having it hot tanked locally. While it was apart, I had my injectors refurbished. I also thoroughly cleaned the throttle body.

When I reassembled everything, I installed all new vacuum lines (of the shelf, non-OEM), and all new components for the parts that are bolted to the underside of the intake (VSV for EGR, VCV, etc.). The only thing I did not change was the little check valve, as that tested good. Upon reassembly, I did not change the EGR valve or the EGR modulator, as they are less than 2 years old.

Anyway, upon reconnecting the battery, it started up after cranking for about 3 seconds. It was running fine, so I took it for a drive, and brought my scanner with me. I drove for about 15 mins on the highway, and checked everything. It had a pending code of P0401. And 5 of the readiness monitors were working. I shut it off and waited a few mins. Then, headed home. Halfway home, the CEL came on. When I got home, I plugged the scanner back in and it was the P0401 as fault code. And 6 of the 7 readiness monitors were ready/working. The only one that was not was the EGR one.

Anyone have any other ideas as to what might be causing the code? Short of buying another EGR valve and modulator and tossing them on, I'm out of ideas. For a couple of the vacuum hoses, it seemed like a few of the auto parts store ones were a little smaller in ID than the factory Toyota ones. I wouldn't think this would matter too much, as the hoses all went on without a problem.

Thoughts?

-rob

You did clean and check the temperature sensor (that the ECU uses to determine EGR 'goodness') ?

The FSM has a quite detailed checklist to debug the EGR system, versus random component changes...

Toyota has a replacement vacuum hose 'kit' for the small lines. Buy a few packs of it and cut to length as needed to replace all the short ones (originally labeled #0 and #1 on them). The hose is cheap enough to not justify something 'non-metric/generic' from an auto parts store...

cheers,
george.

Last edited:
Thanks George. Yes, I did check the resistance on the temp sensor before pulling the intake. That checked out fine.

If when you first fixed your EGR system you didn't get every chunk of carbon or piece of degraded diaphragm from the old egr modulator, from the EGR system, that tiny chunk of material could get into the VSV rendering it nonoperational. The VSV is a tiny electromagnet attached to a tiny diaphragm that opens and closes. The VSV applies vacuum and also cuts of vacuum to the EGR, Get a chunk of something in there and it will either be stuck open or closed thus your egr will no work and you get a code. I have no idea if you can clean out the VSV. I took one apart and I dont think it it could be reassembled very easily. You should remove it and check it for function.

You might want to relocate the VSV to a place where you can service is next time you remove the intake plenum.

Last edited:
My p0401 was fixed by cleaning out the little vacuum holes in the mouth of the throttle body. Theres 3 of them leading to the angled vac hard lines on top of the throttle body and theyre tiny. I used mig wire to do it.

If when you first fixed your EGR system you didn't get every chunk of carbon or piece of degraded diaphragm from the old egr modulator, from the EGR system, that tiny chunk of material could get into the VSV rendering it nonoperational. The VSV is a tiny electromagnet attached to a tiny diaphragm that opens and closes. The VSV applies vacuum and also cuts of vacuum to the EGR, Get a chunk of something in there and it will either be stuck open or closed thus your egr will no work and you get a code. I have no idea if you can clean out the VSV. I took one apart and I dont think it it could be reassembled very easily. You should remove it and check it for function.

You might want to relocate the VSV to a place where you can service is next time you remove the intake plenum.

Yeah, it is looking more and more likely that I will be taking it apart again. Bummer. Good idea to move the VSV for easier access next time.

My p0401 was fixed by cleaning out the little vacuum holes in the mouth of the throttle body. Theres 3 of them leading to the angled vac hard lines on top of the throttle body and theyre tiny. I used mig wire to do it.

When everything was apart I cleaned the throttle body with carb cleaner, including the little passages. This morning I went back and stuck a straw in all three and could easier blow through. So, unfortunately those aren't causing it....

O2 sensors?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom