The dreaded 99 diff blown (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.bikeraising.com
Well, thanks to this forum, I knew the potential was there.

I blew the front diff in my 99 last saturday on a rocky hill climb with the addition of rain.

Luckily I knew what we needed to do to get off the trail and back home thanks to all you.

And so I need your help again: What to do going forward?

a. replace with stock set up - $1000
b. somehow find a 4 pinion set up to put in (anyone have access or know where to get one?)
c. ARB - $1600

Money is an issue, but I want to be wise at the same time.....thoughts?

ARB

^ THIS! Oh the "4-pinion" noise makers are sure to chime in and confuse you...but if you're going to keep and wheel the truck just install the ARB and put the problem to bed.

If you want to save some coin...learn, assuming you don't know, how to pull the front diff out yourself and take it to a decent diff shop for the ARB install. This experience and knowledge will benefit you later when/if you need to swap in a new CV, etc.

If you order a new diff assembly, it will be the 4 pinion version. However, the price has gone up in recent years to $1600+ (discounted).

ARB is the way to go... but this option could cost you more than your estimate. Depends on what exactly is broken inside.

Thanks for getting back quickly everyone.

I dont mind pulling the diff myself. Did new CV axles in the driveway, but it's the wife's daily driver, so I am weighing the time/vs money thing as far as pulling it myself goes.

Wow, wasn't expecting a 4 pinion unit to cost so much!

Officially the R & P is done.

It's over at East Coast Gear Supply now, awaiting my decision.

If you order a new diff assembly, it will be the 4 pinion version. However, the price has gone up in recent years to $1600+ (discounted).

so if i was to order a new front diff from my dealer for my 99 it would be a four pinion? correct?

I saw an ARB add on FB, more traction for less, $1195 for locker, compressor, and pump kit. Wonder if the RD131 is included?

Hate to say it, but if money is/was an issue and you wanted to be wise, you should've already installed an ARB. Or not wheeled it so hard. :)

That said, the ARB is the goer. Since they've already got it apart you can save some bucks by installing the compressor and wiring and switches yourself.

Hate to say it, but if money is/was an issue and you wanted to be wise, you should've already installed an ARB. Or not wheeled it so hard. :)

That said, the ARB is the goer. Since they've already got it apart you can save some bucks by installing the compressor and wiring and switches yourself.

I guess that is what happens when I become jealous and spot my friend in stock '02 LX with street tires up and a stock rubicon also. The ATRAC and stronger diff certainly made a difference. Live and learn huh.

so if i was to order a new front diff from my dealer for my 99 it would be a four pinion? correct?
Yes.... I believe the superseded pn to be 41110-6A171

Wow. I was literally logging on to ask the question about whether or not to keep my stock diff (250K) or buck up and get the ARB. 1999 TLC was very lightly used (don't think it was ever "off-road"), it was a mall cruiser and school bus for a young mom. Dealer serviced. My use likely won't get much worse than fire roads and some slightly rocky trails. Is the ARB still the answer?

FWIW I never had an issue with mine. And after the 4.88 & ARB install in '06 my former front R&P has resided in Rusty_TLC's '98 without issue. Just be sure to never spin the front tire(s)...and having good tires with plenty of tread go along way in helping prevent tire slippage.

But for those venturing away from where AAA will tow...the ARB is THE solution. And peace of mind insurance for the rest. :) At least on a '98/'99 you don't have to worry about ATRAC shock loading of the diff...

FWIW I never had an issue with mine. And after the 4.88 & ARB install in '06 my former front R&P has resided in Rusty_TLC's '98 without issue. Just be sure to never spin the front tire(s)...and having good tires with plenty of tread go along way in helping prevent tire slippage.

But for those venturing away from where AAA will tow...the ARB is THE solution. And peace of mind insurance for the rest. :) At least on a '98/'99 you don't have to worry about ATRAC shock loading of the diff...

Best advice yet! If you push a Land Cruiser hard enough, you're going to tear up something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom