The Dobinsons MRR have arrived! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Kyle Fogle

H.B.I.C. at Treaty Oak Offroad
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.treatyoakoffroad.com
My Dobinsons MRR kit for my GX has arrived from Australia last Friday, and I couldn't be more excited. I'm pulling off an OME medium duty kit, which I wasn't unhappy with, but wanted to run the product i'm selling.

I went with front MRR coilovers, rear MRR shocks, C59-314 front coils, and C59-325 rear. After unboxing the set, it appears i've made a GREAT choice. The packaging was nice, everything was where it was supposed to be and the reservoirs protected with a plastic cover.

Calipers confirm the 2.2" body on both main and reservoir for front and rear. Threads on coilovers were clean and the locking rings spun easily. It came with two spanner wrenches and all new hardware sans the top hat (expected). The resi hoses move freely at the fitting and have plenty of length for various mounting options. The lower stems are BEEFY and the powder coat/anodizing all look great. I was planning on installing them yesterday, but rain messed up my plans. Hopefully i'll be able to get it done this week.

Photo Jun 02, 7 29 20 PM.jpg

Photo Jun 02, 7 57 46 PM.jpg

Photo Jun 02, 7 57 54 PM.jpg

Photo Jun 02, 7 58 38 PM.jpg

Photo Jun 02, 7 29 36 PM.jpg

Those look pretty sweet, I may have to switch out my OME's also. How much does that setup cost?

Those look pretty sweet, I may have to switch out my OME's also. How much does that setup cost?

This setup sells for $1650. The MRR isn't currently in stock stateside, they have some on a container headed this way due in August-ish. In the meantime, for the international portion of the shipping they'll ship free via container or you can get them shipped air freight for a cost (roughly $250). Shoot me a PM if you're looking for more info

They definitely are colorful! :p

Only downside I see is if you have an issue or a breakage replacement parts would be tough.

haha that they are, a buddy of mine mentioned they were very Miami Vice, which is even better because Dobinsons USA is based in Miami.

They're working on a presence in the US market, albeit very recently (fall 2016). They already stock nitro shocks and coils in the US (along with products from their accessories catalog), and the MRR will be stocked later this year. Spare parts are going to follow.

I don't know, I am not sold on the whole TJM, Ironman, Dobinson, etc etc bandwagon of parts these days. For stuff that can't break easily like springs it's no big deal, but if I am spending the money for coilovers (that absolutely will need to be rebuilt in a few years time) I am not messing around with companies that are not stateside unless it's a $350 set of Raceland coilovers for a Miata. I was at SEMA last year, and most of these offroad companies offer the same stuff with different stickers and slightly different designs. I hope Dobinson is better than the rest and keep us posted on how the install goes and your thoughts on performance.

edit: Are these coilovers made in China or Australia?

Last edited:
I was at SEMA last year, and most of these offroad companies offer the same stuff with different stickers and slightly different designs.

I was told that is called a "white label" product, ie you pay an overseas factory to slap your sticker on their off-the-shelf product with some level of customization available like a menu, e.g. spring rates, minor valving changes, anodizing colors, etc. You only have to jump on Alibaba or Aliexpress to see what's available. For example, you can order roof top tents in bulk with your logo and specify color schemes, stitching quality, zipper quality.

They will match pink panties!

Until recently, all of the MRR manufacturing took place in Sydney, they have had to move manufacturing on these to Asia to keep up with demand and hold stock.

All the custom work and R&D is still done in Rockhampton and Sydney. They design, manufacture, and test prototypes in Australia then have them manufactured in Asia. The coils are all still made in Australia.

They will match pink panties!

and plenty of other of fun colors too!

Dobinson Spring has a long history in AUS and is a popular aftermarket supplier not just for Toyotas. They do have a loyal following with the 120/150 crowd. Up until recently, they've concentrated their marketing in AUS but have recently branched out. ARB/OME got into the worldwide market sooner and hence has more exposure in the US. I'm putting Dobinson on my short list of suspension based on what I've heard from friends in Australia that have them on their trucks.

Will the Dobinson coils be available separately?

Everything is available independent of each other. For the most part:

most coils - $175 per pair
nitro struts - $125 each
nitro shocks - $95 each
nitro long travel rear shocks - $115 each
MRR coilover - $350 each
MRR shock - $300 each

+shipping and tax (for Texas residents)

Rear MRR is installed and lookin' pretty. I intentionally kept it pretty close to the same as far as lift goes in the rear, and will level it out in the front with the coilovers. Install was easy peasy, took roughly 3 hrs (including some other mods I did while there). I used an existing threaded hole in the frame on the drivers side for the resi bracket, and self tapped the bracket on the passenger side. They'll probably be moved so I don't hit while flexing, but these spots were easy and I was le tired. I'm going to wrap the hoses with some spiral wrap for a little protection as well.

The back feels better, the overall ride is expectedly uneven with the nitro gas OME shocks up front. I'll make a full report on ride when the fronts are done.
Attached Images

Photo Jun 07, 7 19 27 AM.jpg

Last edited:
Nice! Did you have the OME setup in the back before?

OME 2884 w/ trim packers in the front, 2895 rear, nitrochargers all around.

The fronts are in! Install was simple, disconnected the sway bar and slid them in. I set the ride height to 8 3/8" on the drivers side and 8 1/2" on the passenger side to compensate for KDSS lean. I have some tweaking to do as i'm still 1/2" high on the drivers side, but that was expected.

I reused my old top hats, and slid the preset c/o's in. I installed the resis on top of the spring perch, I do need to verify there won't be any issues during flex and move if necessary, just needed to get back on the road this morning.

I really like the look, and the initial 30 miles the ride was awesome. MUCH nicer than the nitro kit I had on previously.

Photo Jun 09, 8 04 59 AM.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom