The Desert Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey Cruiser Pilot yeah that's right, I found a link to some info on them if you want to have a read. Like i said i had it laying around from a product photoshoot ages ago so figured i might as well bolt it in.

http://www.ctek.com/au/en/chargers/SMARTPASS

Pyrotech, yeah the 12HT is more economical than a 1HZ because it's a direct injection motor whereas the 1HZ is an indirect injection motor. The good news is the 1HZ block is more or less the same as a 1HD-T/1HD-FT/1HD-FTE block. That means with a little tinkering you can bolt a 1HD-T injection pump and head onto a 1HZ for a DIY 1HD for a pretty bloody good price. Slap on a cheap turbo and you're looking at 1HD-T fuel and power figures for a similar price to a 12HT, or put an expensive turbo on it and you'll be looking at 1HD-FT figures. The 12HT isn't a bad motor by any means but for the money there's much much better options. I picked my setup up for $1500. That's a 1998 300k km 1HZ, late model H55f and split transfer case, cheapest 12HT I could find was $4k just for a motor, that's almost 30 years old.

Thanks for the pdf. I have been looking at the CTEK 250D, but now I have a better understanding of how
they work. My truck is a bit more complicated, but this really helps. J

I can personally attest to how awesome a 1HZ and H55f is, not in a 60 but still. I would be considering a turbo in a 60 application.

What I don't get is why you're redoing the front axle with one from an 80, why not just run wheel spacers? Although the difference in strength between the 8" and 9.5" diffs is negligible it doesn't make sense to me. The front is an inch wider than the rear stock so I wouldn't even mess with the front.

Sorry mate just realised i completely missed your post. I was originally planning on doing the IFS hub mod with minitruck calipers to get the extra width, but by the time i added up all the parts i'd need to buy to get the increase in width and do a disc brake swap on the rear it really started adding up. And it wouldn't really fix my issue with the Panhard. 80 diffs make life easy, and they owe me nothing.

I have no new updates, just been rebuilding brakes and doing other boring stuff. But holy s***, it snowed right outside of Sydney, so I went wheeling in snow for the first time ever.
Bylong-36.jpg

I know it snows in Australia, I've skied with skiers from Australia, but every time I see snow there it
just seems weird. Looks like fun! Good looking truck! J

So finally pulled my finger out and started getting some work done. Running the 0 Offset rims on the standard 60 diffs was one of the dumbest things i've ever done. A few nice rub marks on all the tyres and a big gouge in one of the rims from the drag-link. Cleaning all the old brackets off the diffs was a massive pain in the ass, even with a plasma it still took me a full day to get both housings bare.
11856290_10155906528755008_2508505841778708751_o.jpg

Before I put them under the 60 they were both fully rebuilt end to end, all new bearings, slotted rotors blah blah blah. The 60 is sitting higher than I wanted. It's spring over in the rear with flat springs, might end up making new spring hangers to get it to drop an inch or so. But for now, this is how she looks.
11878942_10155990534750008_7231750066181448964_o.jpg

I had no issue with an offset of 0 (stock splits) on my 61 that I just recently sold - although the tyres were 33x10.5" so I would say if I had a regular 12.5" tyre it would be a dilemma. You should get some 255/100 michelin XZL and keep the lower offset, something about 60s looks really nice in my opinion with skinny/tall tyres and kept in the guards :p

That looks EPIC!

Another cruiser on methods! Awesome. I like that you linked and coiled the front end. Ive been looking into doing a pseudo long travel setup all the way around on my cruiser.

Finally got the 60 sitting on its own weight again, still need to do a few bits and pieces to get her up and running. Nothing major just replace a few busted bolts, paint the housings, run brake lines etc. But for the first time in about a month she's not sitting on stands and now doesn't look stupidly skinny. I got it about as low as I was comfortable with too, it still has about 5" of up travel from this height too.

12139929_10156118954355008_6617083864345694080_o.jpg

Looking good mate a piece of art

I'm looking forward to seeing some pics off that beast off of the pavement!

You have an awesome setup man, probably my favorite rig on mud. The 1HZ/h55 would be the icing on top IMO.

If I ever get around to doing another diesel swap it will be a 1hz for sure.

A few more days spent on the 60 and it's starting to come together. Made the brake lines in the rear, ordered new soft lines for the front so I can make the hard lines, everything else is bolted up, painted and back together. I put a steering box in out of an FZJ80 as well. Should hopefully have it driving again mid week.

IMG_20151008_162951.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom