The definitive, "Found a good deal on CL" thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Why - Having done a couple V8 conversion 1 in a 60 and 1 in a 40 its not cheap to do it right on a vehicle when nothing else is need, not the case with the 83. Did you miss the interior? The 85 is a POS and will never be nice unless you have stupid money and a ton of time.

That’s kind of how I look at these, non operating and a POS= parts truck. Mostly original and runs good but looks like hell or looks good and mostly original but inoperative, either one I could live with bringing back To life.

Why - Having done a couple V8 conversion 1 in a 60 and 1 in a 40 its not cheap to do it right on a vehicle when nothing else is need, not the case with the 83. Did you miss the interior? The 85 is a POS and will never be nice unless you have stupid money and a ton of time.

That’s kind of how I look at these, non operating and a POS= parts truck. Mostly original and runs good but looks like hell or looks good and mostly original but inoperative, either one I could live with bringing back To life.

Have either of you looked at this 85? From the one picture of the interior not sure I would say it is a POS. I watch the classified section and 60 series interior parts are pretty common, especially gray. Other than seats and dash a couple hundred dollars would go pretty far getting it looking descent. I had a 65 FJ45LV for a while. Sold it because of how rare it was the cost of finding parts to get the interior looking decent would have been stupid money. There are a lot more 60 series to find parts off of. If your trying to make this a show truck I agree it would be stupid money. To made it road worthy and something you could use off-road without worrying about every little scratch is completely different. I would have to do a personal inspection before I would say it was a POS. Every time I have a vehicle at Camelback I look at the cruisers in the back. Some of those had pretty rough interiors that someone thought was worth keeping and putting money into.:meh:

Have either of you looked at this 85? From the one picture of the interior not sure I would say it is a POS. I watch the classified section and 60 series interior parts are pretty common, especially gray. Other than seats and dash a couple hundred dollars would go pretty far getting it looking descent. I had a 65 FJ45LV for a while. Sold it because of how rare it was the cost of finding parts to get the interior looking decent would have been stupid money. There are a lot more 60 series to find parts off of. If your trying to make this a show truck I agree it would be stupid money. To made it road worthy and something you could use off-road without worrying about every little scratch is completely different. I would have to do a personal inspection before I would say it was a POS. Every time I have a vehicle at Camelback I look at the cruisers in the back. Some of those had pretty rough interiors that someone thought was worth keeping and putting money into.:meh:
We had the grey 60 inspected by red line in Colorado springs a couple of years ago had a bunch of issues that were fixable but more than what we wanted to invest for what the seller was selling for at the time. Had some rust some Hondo but overall not bad be an ok project for someone I wouldn't have paid more that 2500 at the time as brakes and lines had to be redone a timing issue and several vacuum leaks as well. Build thread is here somewhere on mud. Im not saying things havent been fixed.

Buy it and make lots of money i personaly dont see but i have been wrong beforei

Buy it and make lots of money i personaly dont see but i have been wrong beforei

Never said someone could buy it, restore it, then flip it for a profit. There is a lot to be said about a personal inspection rather than just someone's opinion based on a couple of pictures. Remember this cruiser? FJ40 for sale Think it was worth $2,500?

Never said someone could buy it, restore it, then flip it for a profit. There is a lot to be said about a personal inspection rather than just someone's opinion based on a couple of pictures. Remember this cruiser? FJ40 for sale Think it was worth $2,500?
Let me guess Living in the Past, Its in your backyard?

Let me guess Living in the Past, Its in your backyard?

Backyard?

The carrot 044.jpg

the prestige spot in the garage! nice....

What was the deal with the "Quadratrac" comment early in that thread. A prototype?

the prestige spot in the garage! nice....

What was the deal with the "Quadratrac" comment early in that thread. A prototype?

Yes it has a Borg Warner full time 4WD transfer case. One of two known of in the US. JTO back east has the other one. If you search around their site it's on there or at least it was. Transmission on the VIN plaque is stamped M42.

Maybe it is more due to circumstances. I have an 80 to wheel in and only drive it on occasion. I have spent a ton of money bringing it back to life and getting it to where I wanted it, so i don't want or need another truck to go off-roading in. Anything else I would value would have to be unique enough to be interesting to me or be flipable if I lost interest, a beat up 40/60/80 has no allure to me unless it could be restored to stock configuration for less than it would cost me to buy one in that configuration. I would enjoy the project, but there are limitations to how far I would be willing to go on a project, when I reach that threshold that trucks value becomes a parts truck to me.
I also have no desire to collect a bunch of vehicles that I don't use and keep them locked in a dungeon, deprived of their birthright which is to be used and driven.:flipoff2:

Maybe it is more due to circumstances. I have an 80 to wheel in and only drive it on occasion. I have spent a ton of money bringing it back to life and getting it to where I wanted it, so i don't want or need another truck to go off-roading in. Anything else I would value would have to be unique enough to be interesting to me or be flipable if I lost interest, a beat up 40/60/80 has no allure to me unless it could be restored to stock configuration for less than it would cost me to buy one in that configuration. I would enjoy the project, but there are limitations to how far I would be willing to go on a project, when I reach that threshold that trucks value becomes a parts truck to me.

I don't think anyone here commenting on the rig has any intention of buying it. Guess my point is I would do a personal inspection before making comments about how bad it was. I have a bunch of pictures of that 76 showing only surface with the paint was scratched off. Custom cut floor mat for the shifters supports the milage. But in the thread some pretty harsh comments about it. I don't think that 85 will ever be a show truck for the cost it would take. But pictures didn't rule out it being a solid wheeler. Now the comment by someone who had inspected it and said it had rust is different. My first post mentioned about rust.

I don't think anyone here commenting on the rig has any intention of buying it. Guess my point is I would do a personal inspection before making comments about how bad it was. I have a bunch of pictures of that 76 showing only surface with the paint was scratched off. Custom cut floor mat for the shifters supports the milage. But in the thread some pretty harsh comments about it. I don't think that 85 will ever be a show truck for the cost it would take. But pictures didn't rule out it being a solid wheeler. Now the comment by someone who had inspected it and said it had rust is different. My first post mentioned about rust.

Which thread is the 76 you mention above in, I don't remember seeing that? No comment on the dungeon of old Land Cruisers Dr. Lecter?:p

All good @medtro just mentioning if there is no copy and paste, and then it gets flagged (haters) or deleted (sold), which is often, the rest of us that hadn't seen the post gets a dead link/head scratcher...and you know we all love pics and romantical land cruiser stories.:cheers:

Last edited:
Drove around Tucson today and spotted this 40 at an auto-shop. One owner since 1970, with 78k on the ticker and the motor was recently rebuilt 5 years ago. Tires are rotted, and the it was rolled a few times. Owner is dead, and the shop owner is selling for the widow. Supposedly. $5800
C60898F3-D25E-46B7-8FED-5E585BECA2ED.jpeg
D6807D4D-4336-42D8-BD1F-456162933F1D.jpeg
838ED64D-DD3E-4914-9227-192AE17B227F.jpeg
94B96BC5-782F-47B8-846D-F6CAB8F1F275.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom