Builds The Crispy Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok, for the next complete dumbass that tries to recover from an engine bay fire I suggest you don't forget about the little cable that controls the heater valve like we did.

It pulled once so we thought it was fine, turns out it melted just enough to not go back the other way. Sadly the dash is back in and I hated to pull it again so we got creative.

I unhooked the end behind the glove box and then used some tape to secure the new one to it. I helped feed it in while the wife pulled it from the engine bay. Wasn't too bad of a job but I am sure there will be other things like that we run into with this project.

Here is a picture of the end behind the glove box. There is a small clip about 2 inches farther in that holds it in place. I was able to pop it out and the new one in fairly easy.

IMG_20190707_095037.jpg

Had time to hook up a few more things, not major but it's progress. Replaced some brake lines, a few hoses, exhaust gaskets... Just minor stuff. Got hot and when @jmcboots showed up to grab parts I used it as an excuse to quit for the day.

IMG_20190713_111924.jpg

Last edited:
Been slow on the updates as the cruiser parts business has been busy but I did get a chance to paint the valve cover for her. I thought I might surprise her with it and she approved.
IMG_20190730_171101.jpg
IMG_20190730_194134.jpg

I hope to get it swapped in this weekend while I do a ton of gaskets. Just got my JIS bits in from Joey and will let her see if she can deal with the big torque wrench knocking off the balancer.
IMG_20190730_111711.jpg

Also picked up the gates hose to bypass the rear heater from @LandCruiserPhil and he 100% called her out on Instagram about no installed pics so maybe we can fix that.

IMG_20190725_203602.jpg

What's wrong with me?!?! I went and got another one today. I am never going to finish this build but at least I should have plenty of parts to fix it.

View attachment 2048362
Looks to me.likebthat guy's following you too damn close!

well we did get a few things done today while at the shop.

IMG_20190804_110548[1].jpg

IMG_20190804_111209[1].jpg

got some of the dash put back in. she had a hell of a time with the clock connection. for those that have never done the early style dash you will know how long it takes to take apart and put back together.

i know it seems like we are moving slow but there are a few things holding us back. first of off its just hot, most of you have no idea. the heat in GA is brutal this time of year. next on the list is our day jobs and then finally we have the parting out business and its booming right now. i cant get crap done on my rig or her's because of all the parts we are pulling.

Awesome work! I know that heat as a former Tennessee resident. I'll just say it isn't for me. I prefer my sunny and 75 all summer long(all 100 days of it) to that friggin' furnace that you deal with. I would probably have like 4 or 5 heart attacks and maybe stroke out for an hour before lunch every day if I had to deal with that. I sweat like I am doing long division whenever it's gets over 80 and it's pretty much down hill from there. :p

Any gold trucks in your recent hauls? Still looking for a few things...

Would you believe that they have ALL been that stupid green??? Why did people buy so many green cruisers?!?!

Blame Mr Toyoda as the availability of any color of cruiser was very limited. You had to take whatever you could get. Having more than one 80 on a dealer's lot at a time was rare. Similar to Henry Ford who once said you could buy any color Model T as long as it was black.

Didn't get many pictures because it was all little stuff but we now have the ignition put together and most of the heater lines. Might try to fire it up this weekend. It's getting really close on all the big stuff being done.

part0_06.jpg
part0_05.jpg

More work knocked out. For those that follow her Instagram get ready for the money shot video. It's alive. Stuck the key in and it fired right up. Was honestly surprised it worked the first try.

IMG_20190915_130516_131.jpg

IMG_20190915_110647.jpg

Last edited:
More work knocked out. For those that follow her Instagram get ready for the money shot video. It's alive. Stuck the key in and it fired right up. Was honestly surprised it worked the first try.

View attachment 2083873

View attachment 2083874
She's a KEEPER! She knows how to pour oil the RIGHT way!

I have shown countless numbers of people how to pour without it gurgling all over the engine!

Most of the stuff we have done over the last few weeks has been boring and basic so no good pics but ITS ALIVE!!

we drove it around the yard today. Very small list of things to finish up but should only take a few afternoon wrenching sessions. Will get a video up on IG over the next few days.

IMG_20190923_182103.jpg
IMG_20191006_155244.jpg

So one of the worst parts of this build is that the PO follows the thread so I can't blame everything on him :flipoff2:

The wiring behind the radio was cut all to pieces to save 10 bucks. Well we fixed that when we swapped in the new dash harness and are slowly getting that figured out. We now have a nice little harness rather than the random speaker wire running all behind the dash.

I had also reached out about a problem with the turn signals to the PO but I think I found my issue. He must have already installed a CDL switch because I ended up with the hazard switch in the wrong spot and weird issues with turn signals. Easy mistake to make if you aren't careful.

For those that don't have several cruisers around to check how wiring goes back in I have no idea how you could do a heater core in a timely manner.

So one of the worst parts of this build is that the PO follows the thread so I can't blame everything on him :flipoff2:

The wiring behind the radio was cut all to pieces to save 10 bucks. Well we fixed that when we swapped in the new dash harness and are slowly getting that figured out. We now have a nice little harness rather than the random speaker wire running all behind the dash.

I had also reached out about a problem with the turn signals to the PO but I think I found my issue. He must have already installed a CDL switch because I ended up with the hazard switch in the wrong spot and weird issues with turn signals. Easy mistake to make if you aren't careful.

For those that don't have several cruisers around to check how wiring goes back in I have no idea how you could do a heater core in a timely manner.
Hey, in my defense I didn't install the stereo, the po I got it from actually PAID someone to do that stereo install...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom