The correct "Trouble Outlet" hookup in my glove box? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have the 12v Trouble Outlet for the Trouble Light in my glove box. it is not attached to any power or ground.

So, I took it out and attached one end to the negative terminal on the battery and 1 to the power terminal on the battery and I get no power to the outlet (I tried to plug in a simple 6v device I had sitting around). I switched them around and still no joy.

What gives? Is it that simple as providing power and ground to each terminal end on the plug? or am I missing something? If it is that easy, why no juice to the device I plugged in?

Probably just corroded. Did you Poke a test light in the hot side? Check the terminal, then the inside.

tested the terminals on the back side of the plug AFTER I sanded them and cleaned them up. got good readings there. I did NOT try to test the front side where you plug in stuff (the inside actually) as I do not know if I can get the tester in there. is that what you mean? to make sure the power is actually coming through the plug?

so. I think I got proof it works. I hooked up power to the back and ground to the back terminals. then, I stuck a wire into the ground and power on the front of the outlet. then, I attached the ground wire to a light bulb with a little stud via and alligator clip and touched the power wire to the bulb and it lite up. that tells me it works, no?

so, why when I plug in a little household item in, does it not power up and turn on? will these outlets only run the trouble lights and their werid small plugs and outlets?

Last edited:
wantatlc said:
so. I think I got proof it works. I hooked up power to the back and ground to the back terminals. then, I stuck a wire into the ground and power on the front of the outlet. then, I attached the ground wire to a light bulb with a little stud via and alligator clip and touched the power wire to the bulb and it lite up. that tells me it works, no?

so, why when I plug in a little household item in, does it not power up and turn on? will these outlets only run the trouble lights and their werid small plugs and outlets?

Ya that shows it works. Not too sure but I think that household items run on different hrz rating than what the cruiser batt sys can provide. For example the Blackhawk has a plug out let the same as a 3 prong house plug that we use for various things, but if you were to plug a household item into it it would fry it. It's 120 V 400 hz, where I think a house is 120V 60 hz. I hate electrical and don't completely understand it so take it for what it's worth. Just a guess. Get the trouble light though it's a supa cool addition and nice on the trail.

I use this for charging my digicam on trips, puts out 95 watts at whatever the required hz is and 120 V. I would like a full sized one for the cruiser to run all kinds of stuff.
Inv 002.jpg

i got one of those only a little bigger its 1100 watts and powers all sorts of stuff.

HawkDriver said:
Ya that shows it works. Not too sure but I think that household items run on different hrz rating than what the cruiser batt sys can provide. For example the Blackhawk has a plug out let the same as a 3 prong house plug that we use for various things, but if you were to plug a household item into it it would fry it. It's 120 V 400 hz, where I think a house is 120V 60 hz. I hate electrical and don't completely understand it so take it for what it's worth. Just a guess. Get the trouble light though it's a supa cool addition and nice on the trail.

yeah, I think what you say amkes sense. I wired it all up and have it back in the glove box, but when I plug a "house hold" itme into it, no dice. BUT, when I put a wire in the negative side and a wire in the positive side and hook the negative up to a buld and touch the positive wire, the bulb lights up.

So, I am starting to think you are on to something. I guess I just need to get one of those trouble lights and find out. got an extra one?

wantatlc said:

Not sure what household item you're trying in there, but the outlet in the Cruiser is 12V-DC. Household items are 120V-AC. No worky.

You can only power a 12V item from the socket......but not much more than the trouble light as the wire size is pretty small. If you get a bulb to light on the glove box side, your socket is good.

Nerd is right - ITS A 12V OUTLET! Household items will not and should not work. Find a cruiser OEM work light - they aren't the most usefull things to have in your truck but they sure are damm cute.

then he toasted the fuse or the entire device.

If it's 6VDC and a resistance type thing (light bulb, stove, coffee maker) it will burn twice as hot as it would on 12V and then toast.

If it's a 6VDC motor (drill, blender, fan) it will turn twice as fast......and then toast.

If it's 6VDC solid state (radio, phone) it's probably toast. :doh:

:D

Cruiser_Nerd said:
If it's 6VDC and a resistance type thing (light bulb, stove, coffee maker) it will burn twice as hot as it would on 12V and then toast.

If it's a 6VDC motor (drill, blender, fan) it will turn twice as fast......and then toast.

If it's 6VDC solid state (radio, phone) it's probably toast. :doh:

:D

True True and I agree but I was just sayin he wasn't running a 120V thingy.

it was all simple home devices (a 12v light for example). AND, I toasted nothing in my tests. it would just not turn on. I also tried a 6v phone cord and it would not turn on. both items were throw aways if I did toast them, but they do still work.

thanks cruiser_nerd for the info, it splains a lot.

Anyway, I think I got it working as you can see above. now, i just need the official trouble light then I can put the outlet to use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom