The Colorado '84 Brownie Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey ya'll! Thought I'd start a thread on my '84. Heeeeere we go! I bought it a little over two years ago. I'd seen it every day throughout the school year, on the way to drop my boys off at elementary school in the morning. And then, lo and behold, one fateful day there was a for sale sign in the window, a mere three days before the end of the school year. I happened to see it probably 15 minutes after he put it there and was the first to call...

IMG_0092.jpeg

$1,500 less in my pocket, title on the passenger seat, and a wide grin on my face, I was ready to see what I'd gotten myself into. 203,327 miles were on the odometer when I first clicked the key into the ignition.

Key on...but no signs of life. No dash lights. No clicks. No power. No nothing. Time to come up with plan B to get it home.

Clutch to the floor. I let it roll down the driveway and onto the blacktop, gaining a bit of momentum.

Grabbing second gear, I pumped the gas, prayed a little prayer, and popped the clutch like I was ready to go somewhere.

The motor suddenly woke up from its long sleep, roaring to life.

Grinning ear to ear, with a wave out the window to the previous owner, I was off.

203,32...8 miles. And counting...

I’d dreamed of driving one of these old beasts forever and couldn't wait to see what #landcruiser adventures were in store. And heck...it was only halfway to 400k.

IMG_0359.jpeg

IMG_0362.jpeg

IMG_0263.jpeg

IMG_0360.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks @tmxmotorsports!

First order of business was a battery and new tires. Battery was dead, tires were old and dry-rotted.

Battery - no problem. Ordered an Optima Red Top.

Tires? Mudders to the rescue. After reading numerous threads on here about optimal tire size for the OME lift, which I'd hoped to get someday, I went ahead and forked over the ~$800 and sprang for a set of these guys:

IMG_0523.jpeg

BFGoodrich 31" KO2's, mounted on the original wheels. I *really* dig the FJ40 wheels on most 60's, but with the root beer brown and overall originality of this rig, decided to stick with the original wheels. Now I just needed some original hubcaps...

IMG_0532.jpeg

Next up were headlights; the old ones technically worked, but not exactly seeing the road at night was a bit of a problem.

Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at FridayJuly 23818PM.jpg

I wasn't sure which route to go, but took a gamble to see how LEDs would work. Found these guys on Amazon for ~$110, and WOW!!! Seriously couldn't believe the difference driving at night.

Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at FridayJuly 23818PM 1.jpg

Old Vs New; link is here

Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at FridayJuly 23818PM 2.jpg

Digging it in the daytime...
Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at FridayJuly 23819PM.jpg

And nighttime - basically giving myself an X-ray with these things - amazing!! And once I aligned them, they're not blinding folks or anything. Just illuminating the road perfectly - as they should!

Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at FridayJuly 23829PM.jpg

damn....congrats..my favorite color :)

FJ60Paddle.JPG

Thanks ya’ll! Much appreciated. Couldn’t be more excited about it. More to come on the build, but for now, a couple photos from driving today and yesterday night.

Accidentally captured a lightning bolt taking a pic of the dash!
0FAEA58B-2989-4DAA-966D-6C5D8F83A8A4.jpeg
E12513E1-AA85-48A6-84A2-9BD7D783D0D7.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom