The case of the Misidentified FJ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just had a run in with another FJ owner.

I was in a drive-thru line, come around a corner and there sits a pretty nice FJ62 is parked there just to the side. Checking it out a little closer, it had a new style ARB bumper, a roof rack bolted directly to the roof, LED headlights, 18" chrome rims and some older mud tires that I don't recognize. Some steps that I could not identify, also. Paint was in decent shape and overall the truck looked alright.

Well, the guy happens to walk out, so I roll the window down and say, "Hey, nice 62."

He then proceeds to tell me that its a 70 series and looks at me like I'm some sort of idiot.

I said that no, its not. And he reiterated that it was indeed a 1990, 70 series.

I just said, "Okay." and drove off. I guess I should have taken a picture to post it here.

I have owned my FJ60 since 2003. It was without a doubt a 62. I would have been more impressed if he was rolling a 70 series around out here in Midland. Hope he didn't pay 70 series pricing for it.

Haha, I've had similar experiences with clueless owners of other "enthusiast" vehicles. For those that are big into their cars as a hobby, it's inconceivable that there might be people out there driving around in these cool cars, completely oblivious to what it is they're driving. Takes all sorts, I guess.

Should have pointed out his VIN number. Or his firewall tag.

When I drove my 60 home from Colorado I had a lot of people tell me they liked my Bronco, my jeep, and pretty much every other american classic truck....never mind the large "Toyota" written across the grill. I find its easier to say thanks and move on than to try and explain.

Maybe it was a 70. They are goofy looking like our 62's and some people are actually paying the exorbidant imported prices for them. The double set of square headlights would give it away as a 62 though. Too bad the driver was such a punk.

Had a guy come up to me while camping and tell me "nice 4Runner". Told him to watch his mouth.

IMG_5738.jpg

He was just a guy though so I will cut him a break. Pretty surprised the owner of the truck the OP mentions was confused.

Can you transplant a 62 series body onto a 70 series chassis? Maybe some situation like that and he was telling the truth?

It wasn’t that nice of a truck.

From title I thought this would be about an FJ Cruiser owner claiming he was driving a Land Cruiser.

70 series wagons very distinct appearance differences from 60/62. Crazy that someone would confuse them.

I got into LandCruisers because I asked my uncle if he needed help with the 4runner sitting in his garage and received a stare then a really slow "its not a runner. Its a LandCruiser." fewweeks later bought two of my own and deal with my mom calling it a damn FJ cruiser all the time..

anyway, my uncles 60's way beefier than mine, even though its still on jackstands. LS engine, 5 speed (i think a nv3550 or something, not the 4500) and a body lift + 2 inch lift. Looks intimidating even without wheels

I got into LandCruisers because I asked my uncle if he needed help with the 4runner sitting in his garage and received a stare then a really slow "its not a runner. Its a LandCruiser." fewweeks later bought two of my own and deal with my mom calling it a damn FJ cruiser all the time..

anyway, my uncles 60's way beefier than mine, even though its still on jackstands. LS engine, 5 speed (i think a nv3550 or something, not the 4500) and a body lift + 2 inch lift. Looks intimidating even without wheels

If that's yours in the avatar photo it looks perfect as is.

4Runners are cool too, but confusing the two models just isn't allowed.

I have had people call my 2011 and now 2016 200 series a Highlander, Sequoia and 4Runner. I can't count how many people have said "Nice Jeep!", or "I like your FJ Cruiser!" in reference to my FJ40. I always just smile and say thanks.

The only time it bothers me has been the times I take my 200 series to the dealer for recall service and they think it is a Highlander or 4Runner.

A 70 Series looks nothing like a 60 series. Very odd, wish OP took a picture.

...no different than the people here who add 80 series parts to a 60 and start calling their trucks FJ140’s
This is a 1987 FJ60 body on a 1992 FJ80 frame with a 1995 FZJ80 rear axle and a brand new LS3 Connect & Cruise package. I built it and I call it an FJ140. I don't feel bad about it one little bit. :)

IMG_20200523_120542438_HDR.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom