The canal boat (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This will be an ongoing thread. I don't want to call it a build because I have a 10 second 700hp lightning and a 66 f100 under going a restomod.

This is more of a running rally of mods and maintenance.

Yesterday 11/20/2021 I purchased a 1991 HDJ81 VX limited.

It was imported 12/2020 with 184,833 km's.

She has a 4.2L 1hd-t and a442f. Originally painted Blue slate metallic, it was painted black while in Japan. It has the k295 axle code. So LSD read and open front.

It was imported with a small lift and 285/75/16 tires on some after market wheels.

It sits at 198,500 km's now.

Other mods include Ironman drop brackets for caster correction, rancho shocks and that's all I can find.

Mechanically It needs a timing belt and the inner axle seals are leaking.

My near future plans are:
Change all fluids. The previous owner gave me a box of Toyota oil filters, so that's helpful.
Timing belt, tensioner and spring.
Rebuild front knuckles. Not sure I'll do wheel bearings due to low mileage. I'll evaluate them when it's apart. I plan to add 97 front brakes while I'm doing this.
Service both drive shafts. Lube the slip yokes and u joints.
Give it a good detail
Install a functional stereo and speakers.
Tires: debating on 305s or 315s
Window motors

Plans for mods:
Custom front and rear bumper. My friend is a fabricator.
Front locker
Roof rack
Wheels
3" exhaust
Tint

Things I plan to fix that aren't mechanical
Fender flare trim
Window trim
Center console lid(recondition or replace)
OEM steering wheel
Refinish wiper arms
Build a recovery kit to go in it
20211121_143722.jpg
20211121_143730.jpg
20211121_143737.jpg
20211121_143711.jpg
20211121_102503.jpg

Beyond that I just want to drive it and enjoy it.
Here are a few random shots of the rig and some neat things i found.

I sense this will definitely be a build thread. Welcome to mud and welcome to the 80s. Love the JDM cruisers. How'd you come across this one?

I sense this will definitely be a build thread. Welcome to mud and welcome to the 80s. Love the JDM cruisers. How'd you come across this one?

I found it on FB marketplace locally.

I have wanted a land cruiser for ever. Finally decided that I no longer needed to daily something new and nice. I'm divorced and have no one to answer too.

My newest car is now a 2001. I also own a 66 and 68. So this falls on the newer end.

I don't want to call it a build because it's going to be maintenance and longevity based.

My lightning is a build. Nothing is stock anymore

Right on man, I was just ****ing with you on this being a build or not. My guess is dudes like you have a s*** load of experience and might get bored one day and start building this cruiser out. Who knows? I have a "build" thread but truth be told, I'm not building anything. I'm just trying to figure out "lefty loosely, righty tighty". Hahahaa anyway, looking forward to your updates of maintenance and soon enough the evolution of your LC :flipoff2:

Right on man, I was just f***ing with you on this being a build or not. My guess is dudes like you have a s*** load of experience and might get bored one day and start building this cruiser out. Who knows? I have a "build" thread but truth be told, I'm not building anything. I'm just trying to figure out "lefty loosely, righty tighty". Hahahaa anyway, looking forward to your updates of maintenance and soon enough the evolution of your LC :flipoff2:

I have experience building lots of rigs. Never a cruiser though. I've only had 1 other Toyota.
PICT0127.jpg
PICT0125.jpg

The dead pedal threw me for a loop. That just looks so out of place from my POV. hah.

Today I finally turned a wrench on it.
Some parts showed up from cruiser outfitters, and Australia.
I did the timing belt. The truck has 199,500 km and the decal under the hood says 98,xxx so it was due.
I saw a lot of people mention fighting the tensioner spring. I looked at it like a drum brake spring. I used this
20211125_132312.jpg

Which is a hook style pick and I looped it around the stud for the spring. I looped the spring over the tool and just pulled away from the spring while prying on the tab. The spring stretches, slides down the tool and pops into place.

I did a fuel filter and oil change while I was in there.
IMG_20211125_124543_01.jpg
20211125_125323.jpg
20211125_131215.jpg
20211125_132137.jpg

I decided to clean the interior up and remove some left over s*** from previous owners.

The truck had a non functional turbo timer. It also had an ipf light setup that had no lights.
So I gutted all that.
I also painted the letters on my center console.

20211125_152748.jpg
20211125_155913.jpg
20211125_160538.jpg
20211125_160733.jpg

20211125_162604.jpg

I really need to rent a small shampooer.

I also used a little megiuars ultimate compound to see how the paint would respond. It cleaned up good on the hood for just hand polished. So it'll get a paint restore soon.

I was just about to ask you for an update on this not-build thread. Feels good to get rid of junk wiring and crap from POs...therapeutic.

It's the holidays so parts are slow. I have all the stuff to rebuild the knuckles but I'm waiting on all the 97 gx450 brake parts to get here so I can tear it down.

lose the hideous aftermarket steering wheel - get an appropriate Landcruiser steering wheel - then your turn signal canceling will work again, too

also, that ugly pole switch to the left of the mirror adjuster - get some more aesthetically pleasing Toyota switch

lose the hideous aftermarket steering wheel - get an appropriate Landcruiser steering wheel - then your turn signal canceling will work again, too

also, that ugly pole switch to the left of the mirror adjuster - get some more aesthetically pleasing Toyota switch

A) the steering wheel is going. But give me time. I've had the ****ing truck 5 days. Jesus Christ
B) the turn signal cancel does work. So nice of you to assume other wise.
C) see my most recent posts where I pulled all the wiring out? The switch went with. It had been install at some previous point in the vehicles life with an ipf wiring kit for fog lights.

Care to s*** on my 5 day old truck anymore?

I am truly sorry that I am not woke to your sensibilities - sorry if I offended you

you may need more time on this forum to get the hang of it

enjoy your truck :cheers:

I am truly sorry that I am not woke to your sensibilities - sorry if I offended you

you may need more time on this forum to get the hang of it

enjoy your truck :cheers:

I promise I am not sensitive. But the fact you want to bitch about s*** when you didn't read the whole thread tells me your opinion is ****ing useless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom