Builds The Dentist - Turbo Diesel LX450 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Several years ago I rebuilt the 1HD-T's power steering pump. I bought the whole rebuild kit from Akella, and the extra bearing that isn't included, from a local bearing shop. Everything went together fine, but no difference at all! It continued to whine and be hard to turn when driving slow/at a standstill. I gave up at the time.

Then recently I saw the oem PS pump go on sale for $100 USD off from a Toyota parts supplier in the USA. Only $230 USD! Cheaper than Partsouq even. For a brand new, oem pump.

So I purchased the pump, the two OEM o-rings and copper washers, and replaced the pump last weekend.

WHAT A DIFFERENCE! No whining. One-fingered steering, while stopped in the Starbucks drive-thru (that's where LX's go, right???) SUPER easy to turn. even with 35" MTs. Completely silent operation. Amazing!!!!!

The only PITA was getting to the pump. On the HDJ81, it was easy to remove, just remove the left side front tire and plastic fender trim, and it was right there - EASY to reach. So I pulled the LX tire off, plastic off, reached in and...........oh, ****, right ... this is a LHD now. There's a damn steering box directly in the way. Ugh! So I had to reach it from underneath. Which wasn't nice, having ATF drip on your face.

Oh, that and removing the drive gear from the shaft/key. I have a small 3-arm gear puller, which did work, but wow- it practically launched the works into outer space when it finally let go!

Power Steering Pump.jpg

Installed a top mount Intercooler the other week. A local fabricator guru made me up a piece of artwork 2" stainless tube from turbo to IC and the bracket to fully support the top mount.

Did a bunch of research and talked to a lot of people regarding front mount vs. top mount. So no debate on here please! There's a HUGE thread in the diesel section if you'd like to get your feet wet there ;) For me, this was simpler and easier, to install AND work on...especially considering I have the factory winch and AC and trans cooler.

The scoop isn't a perfect fit - something I have to fix soon. It's not sealed to the IC, so the airflow liekly goes more AROUND it than through it. But I will remedy that. It came off a JDM Subaru wagon. A little more boxy than your typical Subaru scoop, I think it fits the style of the 80 better - and it's not huge like the STi versions.

Immediately I noticed ~150 degrees cooler on the EGT gauge, the temp takes longer to get up there, and it cools down quicker when moving. I may also add a fan - depending on what my results are like after finishing the scoop. I don't suffer any heat issues while in 4-low or while driving slowly around town - it's all highway hills that I have issues with.

BTW I know those are hose clamps and not the type for forced air - Lordco was SLOW at bringing in. I have since replaced with the proper t-bolt style stainless though.

IC1.jpeg

IC2.jpeg

IC3.jpeg

I see by my photo above - I haven't posted since I got my OEM 80-series snorkel. I bought the snorkel kit, including all oem pieces, from @Akella and Jason from Cruisin' Off Road installed for me. I did my Ironman snorkel on the HDJ81 myself, and figured one snorkel install was enough for me - it's kind of stressful! :rofl:

I also got my beautiful all-aluminum flat rack from Jason. Weighing in at 55lbs including the mounts.

rack1.jpg

It was a long day - I then drove to Kelowna and picked up a brand new iKamper SKYCAMP from a fellow local 80 series guy. Expensive, but since I sold my ARB Simpson 3 I had some $ to use for a new tent.

The SkyCamp is quite amazing. The build quality is excellent, and it's designed and sold in the USA, not built in China. Attention to detail is incredible. If you haven't seen one, it's essentially a hard top RTT that clam-shells open, then extends like a traditional RTT, giving a larger than king size bed inside. And the best part is it LITERALLY takes 1 minute to set up, and about 3 to take down.

It fits perfectly on the Cruisin' rack.

67132573_10162007638960273_463646594391080960_o.jpg

67295561_10161990809555273_2132068525043351552_o.jpg

67220492_10162014066270273_6702257209406914560_o.jpg

Last edited:
Installed a top mount Intercooler the other week. A local fabricator guru made me up a piece of artwork 2" stainless tube from turbo to IC and the bracket to fully support the top mount.

Did a bunch of research and talked to a lot of people regarding front mount vs. top mount. So no debate on here please! There's a HUGE thread in the diesel section if you'd like to get your feet wet there ;) For me, this was simpler and easier, to install AND work on...especially considering I have the factory winch and AC and trans cooler.

The scoop isn't a perfect fit - something I have to fix soon. It's not sealed to the IC, so the airflow liekly goes more AROUND it than through it. But I will remedy that. It came off a JDM Subaru wagon. A little more boxy than your typical Subaru scoop, I think it fits the style of the 80 better - and it's not huge like the STi versions.

Immediately I noticed ~150 degrees cooler on the EGT gauge, the temp takes longer to get up there, and it cools down quicker when moving. I may also add a fan - depending on what my results are like after finishing the scoop. I don't suffer any heat issues while in 4-low or while driving slowly around town - it's all highway hills that I have issues with.

BTW I know those are hose clamps and not the type for forced air - Lordco was SLOW at bringing in. I have since replaced with the proper t-bolt style stainless though.

View attachment 2045559

View attachment 2045560

View attachment 2045561
Looks nice

Super nice build! Do you still like the android head unit? I have been considering one for awhile.

Super nice build! Do you still like the android head unit? I have been considering one for awhile.
Thanks guys!

I still like the head unit. The touch screen leaves a bit to be desired, the touch isn't sensitive enough (cheap). But it's great having a true android OS so I can run stuff like Aprsdroid and the backroad mapbooks. And the 2 second "wake" is awesome.

How do you like the tent in terms of comfort level? I’m hearing some guys talk about their rooftop tent and how uncomfortable they are.

I have one of their first versions and the mattress is too thin. I added an additional foam piece under the main mattress spot (hasn't affected ability to close) and it seems to help a lot.

My understanding is the new SkyCamp mattress is way thicker, but don't quote me on that.

First night in it without the extra foam was definitely uncomfortable! And I'm not a picky sleeper.

Hey great build! Curious about your experiences with the ATOTO head unit thus far. Looking into android compatible headunits, and most with android auto are $300 and up.

Several years ago I rebuilt the 1HD-T's power steering pump. I bought the whole rebuild kit from Akella, and the extra bearing that isn't included, from a local bearing shop. Everything went together fine, but no difference at all! It continued to whine and be hard to turn when driving slow/at a standstill. I gave up at the time.

Then recently I saw the oem PS pump go on sale for $100 USD off from a Toyota parts supplier in the USA. Only $230 USD! Cheaper than Partsouq even. For a brand new, oem pump.

So I purchased the pump, the two OEM o-rings and copper washers, and replaced the pump last weekend.

WHAT A DIFFERENCE! No whining. One-fingered steering, while stopped in the Starbucks drive-thru (that's where LX's go, right???) SUPER easy to turn. even with 35" MTs. Completely silent operation. Amazing!!!!!

The only PITA was getting to the pump. On the HDJ81, it was easy to remove, just remove the left side front tire and plastic fender trim, and it was right there - EASY to reach. So I pulled the LX tire off, plastic off, reached in and...........oh, ****, right ... this is a LHD now. There's a damn steering box directly in the way. Ugh! So I had to reach it from underneath. Which wasn't nice, having ATF drip on your face.

Oh, that and removing the drive gear from the shaft/key. I have a small 3-arm gear puller, which did work, but wow- it practically launched the works into outer space when it finally let go!

View attachment 2007198
Is this the same pump used on the gas motor then?

See above for my comments on the Atoto :)

For the PS pump, I dont believe it's the same pump as on the 1fz-fe or whatnot. I do think it's used on another Toyota truck sold in North America though.

Update on the cruiser!

When I got the truck back from Jason, the wiring was nice and neat. But then I added a few things. Glow-plug circuit. Driving lights. Gauges. VHF radios. Etc. This contributed to a fairly tidy, but busy, wiring harness along the firewall. Loom on loom, on loom. It continued to bug me until I spent about 16 hours re-routing, re-looming, and even redoing a bunch of the harnesses. I now have a very OEM looking harness which includes all the "extras".

20191121_164747.jpg
20191121_164754.jpg

20191119_132023.jpg
20191121_164551.jpg

20191121_164601.jpg

Part of me wanting to re-do the wiring, especially on the RH side, was to prepare for... my WEBASTO!

I won't reiterate everything here, but instead leave a teaser pic and a link to the main "Webasto in HDJ81" master ongoing thread.

20191211_153325.jpg

I saw your truck rolling around Kamloops the other day. It's an absolute thing of beauty. I'm patiently waiting to parts vulture a rolled HDJ81 for my LX450, but so few come available.

I saw your truck rolling around Kamloops the other day. It's an absolute thing of beauty. I'm patiently waiting to parts vulture a rolled HDJ81 for my LX450, but so few come available.

Thanks man! :) :) Do you live here? If you're on Facebook join the "80 series in Canada " group!

Andrew

I'm half living in Kamloops at the moment. I'm a medic at the air ambulance base there (currently house shopping). Should be in Kamloops full time by spring.

Time for a 2020 update! Turns out @RockShoes is really good friends with my neighbour, lol small world EH

He convinced me to join in on a group buy on @Delta VS 's panhard correction bracket. Basically the bracket re-locates the panhard axle mounting point on lifted trucks upward 3 inches so the suspension geometry is improved. If you look it up on here there's a whole thread on the specifics.

Well, I must say that the difference is quite amazing. It's taken the wiggle out of the back end, especially when hitting divots or bumps while in corners. I can honestly say I believe any lifted truck should have this fix. When you factor in the $USD exchange, it wasn't cheap, but it was still worth it. Lots of R&D I am sure, and it quite simply just bolted in, no fuss.

20200212_180520.jpg

BEFORE

20200212_182219.jpg

AFTER

20200212_230114.jpg

20200212_230104.jpg

20200212_181148.jpg

Next project will be a brand new OEM diesel radiator/hoses, courtesy of a fellow 80 owner in Calgary, some solar solution on the top of the iKamper in conjunction with a Victron MPPT smart solar charge controller, a new 3" stainless tig welded exhaust, a Provent 200, and G-Turbo or Wink turbo.

1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom