The Brown Truck - My 1982 Toyota Pickup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

another simple diagram

22R wiring JPEG.jpg

Appears there is corrosion at that connection. Corrosion and / or lose (poor) connections don't mix well with high amperage... well they are bad anywhere and dangerous as the power increases. Bad connections = resistance, and a voltage drop and power has to dissipate somewhere - heat. I would expect to see burning further down the wire if the issue was somewhere upstream of that connection.

I was going to say alternator excite wire. There should be minimal amperage going through that wire.

If it was connected for a short while and burned, then incorrect connection to something. If it has been there for a while and suddenly burned, then corrosion or alternator failure.

Thanks y’all, that wire has been connected since I put the motor in about a month ago and I am fairly certain it just burned because I have my head in that engine bay pretty frequently. I will get a new alternator and get it sorted!

I was going to say alternator excite wire. There should be minimal amperage going through that wire.

If it was connected for a short while and burned, then incorrect connection to something. If it has been there for a while and suddenly burned, then corrosion or alternator failure.

I would expect to see burning across the entire length of the wire though, unless it's a combination of a poor connection and then multiplied by a incorrect connection to something.

I would expect to see burning across the entire length of the wire though, unless it's a combination of a poor connection and then multiplied by a incorrect connection to something.

ETA - Now that I think about it though, if that indeed is a low current circuit, you'd be hard pressed to generate that kind of heat without a failure in the alternator or somehow introducing excessive current on the circuit (like JC mentioned, incorrect connection). Glad the alternator is being replaced but double check your connections while you are at it! :beer:

You ain’t got no legs Lt. Dan!

E39C7149-BC68-4FCF-9AB6-F88BCA23E45C.jpeg

Got the wheels off my truck and sold in preparation for some awesome vintage wheels which will be showcased shortly.

Glad I pulled the alternator off! She is extra crispy.
E360106E-B19E-42FB-8357-CBC3AC644D59.jpeg
F36DF289-5A25-4C9A-8D36-4708F7DD0302.jpeg

I also am not sure which alternator to get for it because this alternator does not match any of the types that would have come on it factory.

Upon further investigation I have discovered a few things. Originally my truck was supposed to have an external voltage regulator that attached to the alternator. My alternator has an internal voltage regulator and the external voltage regulator is no longer there. So I could figure out what kind of alternator I have an replace it with a new one and wire up a connector for it. Or I could get a gm 1 or 3 wire alternator and wire it up and fab up a bracket.

either way works. i got a good fancy chrome gm alternator you could have on the cheap.

either way works. i got a good fancy chrome gm alternator you could have on the cheap.
Is it the standard issue 3-wire gm? I have thought about getting one but a proper bracket for one is $70, I might could create something though with some creativity.

That s*** got hot! That's a denso alternator for sure, maybe it came off of a later mini truck, 3.0 or 3rz

That s*** got hot! That's a denso alternator for sure, maybe it came off of a later mini truck, 3.0 or 3rz
I’ll do some browsing of rock autos catalog to see what I can find. Because right now I don’t draw hardly any power in this truck, so a 50/60 amp alternator should be enough juice.

It's a damn close match to a Taco 3RZ alternator. Looks like they used the same alts for the 2.4 and 2.7 in the first years of the taco.

It's a damn close match to a Taco 3RZ alternator. Looks like they used the same alts for the 2.4 and 2.7 in the first years of the taco.

Yeah it looks spot on for a 22RE ‘90 as well

Serpentine, yeah. NBD, just pull the pulley off of your broken alt off and put it on the new one.

EDIT: 1990 pickup 22re alt is a dead nuts match. Same circular excite wire plug, same pulley, same internal regulator.

1568819800714.png

And a 1990 22RE alternator is exactly what I just picked up from Napa for $78!
It’s rated as a 70amp alternator.
B8013944-D612-4361-AD59-B853ED50D4E7.png
101C600D-19D3-4334-A25B-F30B421B3DEC.jpeg

I guess now I need to find a plug to match this alternator and splice it into my harness. Before it was connected with a single spade connector which I’m assuming was the excite wire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom