The brakeless wonder. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First off, long time reader. I love the stuff you guys are doing to your rigs. It helped me build mine.

So, why am I posting now, for the first time - well I need help obviously!

Basics about my rig:
'99 100 series
175,00 miles
Slee lift with diff drop
295/75 Nitto Terra Grapplers
Two weeks ago - new pads all the way around, new front rotors

My problem:
The Brake and ABS dash indicators are on along with a high pitched tone and I have intermittent braking. My son drove it to the store and when came home he asked me if they were on before, which they were not. My daughter in got in it about two hours later to run some errands and the indicator lights were on with that annoying tone. Around the block an no issues but when we came to the light at the bottom of the hill, alas, no brakes. Luckily no one was in front of us so I took a right at the light and after pumping the brakes,(which I don't think did a thing) I brought the truck to a stop. I restarted the truck which resulted in no change. I slowly drove two blocks home. During that time the brakes came on and went off a few times.

I found this thread which sounds like my problem but it's a few years old and I was wondering if anyone else could help shed any light on the situation.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/167702-abs-brake-light-alarm-sounding-98-lc.html

Thanks,
-dave

I'd return to the shop that did the work and ask for an inspection of their work. Or ...

Check fluid levels, bleed the four corners checking the connections and hoses.

The master cylinders can fail but since it's so close to the pad change I bet there is a loose connection or damaged hose somewhere.

Thanks, that's what I'm hoping it is. I did check fluid levels and they look good. I would've gone back to the shop today but they were already closed and I figured since they didn't open until tomorrow I'd check in with you guys for other possible scenarios. I like being armed for my battles!

I had the truck down at the shop today. They checked all the ABS sensors on the hubs and the basics and couldn't find anything. Their best guess was an electrical problem. They're a small shop that I've been going to for years for basic stuff and I understand they are not going to know my truck like a certified Toyota mechanic would but they give it their best shot.

I did some more research on the interwebs and found this:
Re: Toyota Land Cruiser ABS Failure

It seems as like some others are having the same problem. I'm taking it in to have the ABS Actuator tested tomorrow.

Has anyone ever bypassed the ABS all together? I'm just curious if that would be a workaround for the time being. I find it insane that if the ABS goes my brakes don't work at all.

Can you pull any codes ?

No. I jumped the Tc and E1 and put the key in the on position and nothing changed, ABS light is constant as is the brake light and the tone comes on. I tried it multiple times with the same results. Argghh!

I forgot to pull the short pin. I'm getting codes now but they are a pain to read. Blinking hell.

Man, I truly do feel like I'm going crazy. I followed all the instructions on reading the codes and this is what it does:

4sec pause, blink, 1.5sec pause, blink, 2.5sec pause, blink, blink, blink, blink, blink, 1.5sec pause blink, blink, 2.5sec pause, blink, blink, blink, blink, blink, 1.5sec pause blink, blink, blink, 2.5sec pause, blink, blink, blink, blink, blink, 1.5sec pause blink, blink, blink, blink, 2.5sec pause, blink, blink, blink, blink, blink, 1.5sec pause blink, blink, blink, blink, blink, blink...then it starts over.

Now based on everything I've read, these are the codes:
11 - Open circuit in ABS control (solenoid) relay circuit
52 - No such code.
53 - No such code.
54 - No such code.
56 - No such code.

What am I doing wrong? I check, double checked...I used a stop watch!

I used these links for diagnosis (PDF download for the second one).
Toyota ABS
http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/brake10.pdf

Could be your booster not running. Can you hear it running when switching on the ign? If not, check the fuse. There are threads in here on problems with the booster. Think a few people here had to replace it.

Maybe a cheap code reader or a trip to a shop with a loaner is in order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom