The body mounts that refuse to die.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

35inchoverdrive

Forge Specialties
Threads
Website
www.facebook.com
I've got an '87 that I'm keeping relatively low while running 36's. I'm chopping the rear body mounts(the ones closest to the rear shackles) and moving the rear axle back. I've-

-removed the bolt for the body mount
-ground the head off of the 4 rivets
-pried the mount away from the rivets so that there is no contact between the body of rivet and the body mount

These suckers still won't let go. I can't see a weld anywhere, but the frame is a little crusty. What's still holding these things on?

Anybody? What if I change the title to "What are the best tires for my Cruiser?", or "Has anyone done a V8 swap?". Then maybe I'll get some replies.

Those rivets are tough to get out. You need to punch them out with a very large punch. This is after drilling them out and knocking off the heads.

I've got an '87 that I'm keeping relatively low while running 36's. I'm chopping the rear body mounts(the ones closest to the rear shackles) and moving the rear axle back. I've-

-removed the bolt for the body mount
-ground the head off of the 4 rivets
-pried the mount away from the rivets so that there is no contact between the body of rivet and the body mount

These suckers still won't let go. I can't see a weld anywhere, but the frame is a little crusty. What's still holding these things on?

Had to deal with those rivets before...what I did was weld a high quality punch (with a point on its end) to an 18" 3/8 drive extension, had a friend who trusted my aim hold it while I struck it with a 8# sledge. This, of course after all you have already done to prepare them for removal.
No doubt tough suckers to remove.
Didn't have access to the tourch set up mentioned above

I didn't really state my problem clearly. I have ground the heads off of the 4 rivets, and I have pried the mount away so that it is no longer contacting any of the remnants of the rivets, but the mount still won't come loose from the frame. Is there a weld on the top or something?

I didn't really state my problem clearly. I have ground the heads off of the 4 rivets, and I have pried the mount away so that it is no longer contacting any of the remnants of the rivets, but the mount still won't come loose from the frame. Is there a weld on the top or something?

Picture man. I have no idea what you're talking about.

They are somehow attached to the top of the frame. It is kind of weird, no visible weld, but almost like adhesive was used. Try to pry the mount off the top of the frame, drive something between the two. It could just be seamed together with rust too. Hope this helps.

They are somehow attached to the top of the frame. It is kind of weird, no visible weld, but almost like adhesive was used. Try to pry the mount off the top of the frame, drive something between the two. It could just be seamed together with rust too. Hope this helps.

That sounds exactly what I'm up against. I can't see any sort of weld or anything, but on your advice, I'll just keep wailing on it with a chisel.

sawzall...

HMMMMMMMMM. Very interesting. Are you holding your mouth right,? Squinting,? & Cussing properly?

That's hilarious! And true!

Anybody? What if I change the title to "What are the best tires for my Cruiser?", or "Has anyone done a V8 swap?". Then maybe I'll get some replies.

For anybody who has a similar problem. Currently in the process of a frame swap and yes I can confirm that the lip over the top of the frame of the body mounts directly behind the rear wheels of the 60 series landcruiser... is welded.

GetAttachmentThumbnail.jpg

:lol: So glad we have clarification after 8 years of waiting! Thank you!

this should be faqed...

I'm just picturing the OP sitting on a milk crate in his driveway next to the truck all this time with his phone in his hand hitting "refresh" on this page waiting for a reply to figure this out... click..... click..... click..... click..... click.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom