The Big Green Machine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Relatively new to mud, been lurking for a number of years, made an account finally to look for answers, tips, to find a rig etc. Several write ups of what to look for when purchasing a used 80, as well as videos helped immensely and allowed me to dodge some pigs with lipstick.

This will be my build thread journey with the new girl, to be named later.

A bit about me, I've been a Toyota enthusiast for most of my life, my dad had a late 80s pickup when I was young which we would tote around town, to the beach, to the snow etc.

My first vehicle was an 85 bronco II with an unknown amount of miles. The odometer read 59k but it turns over at 99,999 so it could have been 159k, it definitely drove like 259k. I picked it up from a mechanic for $450 as it had been abandoned by the PO and didn't start. I threw a new battery in it and it fired right up. The springs in the seat were completely shot and it slouched to the left. It wasn't much to look at but I put some foam and a blanket in the back to sit on and it was the first thing that was really 'mine'.

From there I went through a few vehicles, 91 Nissan Pathfinder, 2000 5 series BMW, before I got back to Toyota. I had been on the hunt for about 6 months and nearly gave up. My brother in law actually sent me the craigslist link for a 2000 4runner with 90k for $11000(This was 2009). It was more than I wanted to spend which is hilarious looking back now. That was my only vehicle for 8 years before I gifted it to an ex girlfriend whose Prius I traded in for my current 2018 Tacoma.

The 2018 Tacoma is my primary vehicle I suppose, if the house caught fire and I had to quickly grab my dogs and unreplaceable possessions I would head out in that. The Tacoma has been kitted out quite nicely now, you can find my thread over on Tacoma world, same name 'Relyk711' but it is a bit much for a casual cruise and too specialized for full work duties.

I began my serious search for a cruiser around a year and a half ago. At first I wanted an 80 and found them to be the most attractive looking and balance of comfort and ability. I test drove a couple with around 200-230k miles one with lockers whom the seller even let me take out to a little dirt track he knew near our meeting spot verifying everything worked. I'm not sure what he ended up selling it for, I offered 15k, which seemed to offend him, citing common issues, busted head unit/antenna, torn busted seats, non functional locks. Mechanically it looked okay but I wasn't as savvy at looking for the common culprits at that point. Perhaps I just wasn't committed to it enough at that point or 100% sure on why I needed a Land Cruiser. I got bit by the 60 bug shortly thereafter and spent a long time hung up on them. I spoke with quite a few people about driveability, comfort, common issues and if it really is as slow as it had been built up to be in my mind. Torn in both directions I ultimately gave up and satisfied my desire for a project with a 1999 salvage title regular cab Tacoma.

Originally I had planned to clean it up a bit, drive it around and flip it when the right cruiser came around but the 'baby taco' won me over pretty quickly. It desperately needed new suspension at 205k on the original shocks, bottoming out on every pothole. I replaced them with some cheap KYB gas shocks, took care of some old steering components, cleaned up the throttle body, new filters and fluids and she runs like a champ. Not only that but I have been averaging 23+mpg over the last 5k miles. It has become the semi daily, gas saver and dirty projects truck and I can't really bring myself to sell it now.

About 6 months went by and I realized as much as I liked my 2 black Tacoma life, I still yearned for a Land Cruiser. The heavy steering, confident stance, unbeatable visibility, legendary reliability and reputation. The hunt began again. I had made up my mind, as much as I still prefer the 60 look, the 80s seemed infinitely more practical and ultimately easier to source parts. I used Muds buying guides as well as slee and other YouTube videos to look for common red flags or big incoming bills. As much as anything I tried to read the intent of the POs to see if I was getting an honest deal. I drove quite a few 'pigs with lipstick', people who had a cruiser that had been neglected for years with a fresh coat of paint, or reupholstered seats, flashy head units and speakers. Diving into the engine bay or under these rigs I found cracking rubber hoses, coolant and major oil leaks, super glued trim pieces, jacked up steering and suspension. More than anything it just didn't seem like these folks had a passion for their cruiser.

Ultimately I wanted something closer to stock, there were a few very well built cruisers that came through mud and classifieds at that point, but that was someone else's journey. I wanted to put my own fingerprints on it, as who really needs a 3rd Toyota truck? I finally found one that fit the bill. Very reasonably priced in today's market, CA only truck with many of the TLC items taken care of already. Definitely not in perfect condition, worn seats, Freddy Krueger front seats in fact but with newer seat covers. Paint flaking and thinning on a couple spots on the roof and fender flares but nothing too major and absolutely no rust. New suspension and steering stabilizer 33" KO2s but 298,000 miles on the odometer. This was the one. It very clearly lived a few different lives already but it is time for her to start a new journey.

PXL_20220323_012534623.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom