Builds The Big Bad Rad Dad LX (Dissent) Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

+ family of 6 = 510

= 7,821 without bikes or gear

You're getting there. This is with three kids in car seats, the wife, and a decent amount of gear in the back, as well as 80% or 90% fuel, but without my Slee sliders, and a few other items we'd carry when heading out...and the added tongue weight of a trailer.. So far so good..

1598492784987.png

Stupid hurricane question of the day:

Looks like we got lucky and hurricane Laura will not impact Houston; however, we're anticipating wind gusts up to 50 or 60 miles an hour. The rig lives outside, but will be somewhat sheltered from side gusts from being parked in the driveway. I realize these things are designed to take 70-80mph head on, but the random direction is what's has me concerned.

would you take down the cargo box and awning? Throw a strap over the top? Or not even worry about it?
How’d you fare?

Thankful that it missed us. Threw a strap around the cargo box, but no rain and barley any wind. Hope everyone else out there is okay.... Thanks for asking!

Last edited:
Are you also considering Dissent sliders to save weight or not worth trading strength for weight? Not planning to wheel all the time and considering Dissent for all around build to balance weight and capability.

Unfortunately, the Dissent sliders are not AHC compatible, but I am going to get his skid plates.
As heavy as I am, I can't imagine what it would have been like with more steel parts... the Slee rear is 425lbs :oops:

Love those Dissent bumpers front & back. Bonus points for the swingouts being easily removable... I know first-hand how annoying swingouts can get in day to day use. I foresee making a roadtrip to Ben's shop in a few years.

Life Pro Tip: use a pink bat to hold the brake when installing/removing wheel spacers
E550BA77-5E67-40FA-AFA2-DB9C0CB3CD5E.jpeg

LPT #2: use anti-seize on the back of the spacers 😳

1DD1F631-4CE0-4BA1-AF03-1626FD1CA5EE.jpeg

This thread is awesome, not sure how I missed it until just now. Had the Prinsu installed just recently and so far so good - also impressed with how quiet it is at freeway speeds.

@radman All this chrome on my Black 2013 LX is getting to me. Looks like you de-chromed quite a bit. What'd you do?

@radman All this chrome on my Black 2013 LX is getting to me. Looks like you de-chromed quite a bit. What'd you do?

Plastidip on the grill, lower door trims, and rear badge. Haven't dealt with the Windows, door handles or rear chrome yet.

This thread is awesome, not sure how I missed it until just now. Had the Prinsu installed just recently and so far so good - also impressed with how quiet it is at freeway speeds.

Did you lower your wind fairing below the stock location?

What part of town are you in?

Wait, are you the Rice guy?

Last edited:
Now I understand why @KLF's profile says he's a "frame waxer" 😂

... getting ready for my trip to the dealer, I even put the mud flap back on! Too suspicious?

1D1825A7-EF41-4187-9A44-E90F7A2CD0CB.jpeg

6A169339-FA27-4ACD-836C-4717D9F12108.jpeg

Reactions: KLF
Did you lower your wind fairing below the stock location?

What part of town are you in?

Wait, are you the Rice guy?

As low as it goes - unmodified. Though I should take a photo, it looks similar to yours without drilling the extra holes. I wonder if the non-lightbar version is different.

Inner loop. And probably yes, though I hesitate to answer since I've seen at least two other 200s with Rice gear on them, in case those guys are a-holes, ha!

Inner loop. And probably yes, though I hesitate to answer since I've seen at least two other 200s with Rice gear on them, in case those guys are a-holes, ha!

If you're the non-ahole, I saw your rig at Duggy's last Thursday (also spotted you on Holcomb a few times).

Reactions: htx
If you're the non-ahole, I saw your rig at Duggy's last Thursday (also spotted you on Holcomb a few times).

Yup, had it up there getting new rear springs (LRA tank + rear ARB were too heavy for the 2722s) and the rack.

I was considering cutting it shorter after the slosh discussions, but I'm glad i didn't. Maybe we played/tested too much, but it ran dry before i was able to rinse off all the gear. I'll go fill it up and test today....

Here are all the parts I used:
- 6" pvc pipe and ends from plumbing supply store. Box chains around here only carry up to 4"
- large diameter plus 50+ psi needs the stronger pvc glue
- tire valve
- rain barrel spigot Amazon.com : RAINPAL RBS006 Stainless Steel Rain Barrel Spigot(Ball Valve, Quarter Turn) : Garden & Outdoor
- male to male adapter
- coil hose Amazon.com : Plastair SpringHose PUWE625B93-AMZ Light EVA Lead Free Drinking Water Safe Recoil Garden Hose, Blue, 3/8-Inch by 25-Foot : Garden & Outdoor
- foam blocks

4" vs 6" pvc yields more than double the volme at 80"

Would you consider the water potable? If not, what modifications that could make it potable?

Would you consider the water potable? If not, what modifications that could make it potable?

Yep, schedule 40 pvc (same as used in houses), potable pvc glue, and stainless rain barrel spigot. I even washed the inside of all the pvc before glueing it all together. Only source of potential contamination would be the Schaeder valve, but I think that was SS as well.

Heavy duty specified for large diameter pipe, though I haven't gone above 70psi.
Oatey 30876 Heavy Duty Clear PVC Cement, 16 oz Amazon product ASIN B001AH8KOK

more chop chop 🙄

75172D10-F0D0-4C82-9DBD-9854CE035D63.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom