The Bicycle Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JohnVee

SILVER Star
Threads
Old, new, used-to-haves, want-to haves, etc. Put it here.

Somebody mentioned Schwinn Predator...I had one of these when Reagan was in office. I seem to recall the white tires lasting about a week before getting some Tiogas. The mags got replaced with purple Peregrines after awhile. Skyway EZ bars, original GT clamp on/fold down round pegs on the forks, 21,683 sets of brake pads (none of them worked), even briefly had a set of those brake levers with the push button to 'lock' them closed. I put a lot of miles on that bike and made a lot of laps around Lake Royal. Dig the white and black chain in the picture. That didn't last long. And note where the rear brake is. I think mine was actually on the bottom of the top triangle tube instead of the chain stay. The cable ran through the top tube. I think.

Always wanted a Kodak Yellow Redline RL20 or a Haro Master (or Sport). Or a PK Ripper. Or a Quadrangle. Or a Skyway. Or a Trick Star. I will own them, someday, if I ever have mad sneaker habit money. Never liked the GT Pro Performer for some unknown reason.

9sggwi.jpg

Had a bmx gazelle bright yellow growing up. Loved that thing
20120819_132737_blowup.jpg

Here's my current junk. Mid-90's GT Zaskar. A buddy built it to race back then and used it as a test bed for every new whiz-bang thing that came out. I got it in roughly 2000-2001. It's all XTR except for the Grip Shift. Bar ends are HUGE! Light as a feather. Yes, that's a Judy. It replaced my ~1995 steel framed Stump Jumper that was some anniversary model or something. It was sand colored. Sold it in 2005 for almost what I paid for it new.

I took the GT to a shop last year for an overhaul. The 25 year old laughed at me as he checked me in and tried to get me to look at some $2500+ bikes while I was there. I picked it up a week later and he actually apologized to me. Said some of the older guys put him in his place when he ragged on it so he did some research and changed his mind. Good kid, that guy. It's sat in my sunroom since then. Still has the work order tag on it.

IMG_5317.JPG

My favorite BMX bike, by far, was my Haro Group 1 that was stolen after about 3 months of ownership. I didn't grow up with a silver spoon, and had worked hard to save for that bike, and I was sooooo disheartened. I'm trying like hell to remember my one and only freestyle bike, which is embarrassing I can't remember for the life of me. I loved that bike too. Had a couple of GTs over the years that I liked, but that Haro was the bike of my dreams. Looked a lot like this one, I'll have to see if my Mom has any pics stashed away somewhere.
HaroGroup1.jpg

2005 Specialized Stumpjumper - SOLD
[url=https://flic.kr/p/7eBkgA] IMG_6597 by Jonathan Jones, on Flickr[/URL]

2008 Surly Karate Monkey - Disassembled
10832174_1533865336853669_1128871813_n.jpg

2013 Kona Unit - Current
11357449_945444028853902_286109237_n.jpg

I'm not into big suspension bikes anymore and although riding a hardtail is nice, I still prefer the simplicity of rigid and a single gear. I've also learned over the years that not all rigid forks are created equal. The original Surly fork was brutal on the trails while my custom Waltworks is fantastic is all terrain.

GT i-drive.jpg
I have an ancient GT idrive 4.0. I think it's an '01. Actually I have two of them, a yellow and a black. I bought the second one on CL to use for spares in case the idrive mechanism gives up the ghost. The thing is ugly and heavy and rides like an absolute Cadillac. This is a USA model and not made in China like GT's are now. The pic above is not my bike but identical except that I replaced the coil-over with a Fox air shock (with lock-out)when the original puked its guts out.

Current Ride, Trek Stache
IMG_0254[1].JPG

As soon as I rob a bank ride
Yeti.jpeg

My progression started around 1974. Had an electric three wheeled cop trike, a green machine, and a cheetah for kids toys. My cheetah could eat up any bigwheel in the neighborhood. For Christmas 1976, I got a new Orange banana seat bike, I think it was either a schwinn (non stingray), or a huffy. Rode the snot out of that, went through at least 5 sets of tires on it. Few years later, I got a huffy pro thunder III, first bmx bike, and first one I had with a factory freewheel. Rode that for 3 or 4 years. It went thru several paint jobs, and was stolen/smashed when the moron that stole it got hit by a car (karmas a beeeeeyotch).

My predator was chrome, with red alum wheels and snakebelly/gumwall tires. Plastic seat. I think I got it around 82 or 83. I learned tricks on that bike, because i knew if i could do it on the pred, i could land it on anything else. It was also a ton of fun spanking people on the track with a bike that was twice the weight of theirs. It was also awesome in the quarter and halfpipes, where that weight could actually be an advantage (momentum for tailwhips and speed) I had my mcs magnum (titanium race bike with skinnies) for about 6 months. saved forever to buy it, then realized it was too fragile(those skinnies were made to go straight, not get crossed up on jumps and land sideways), so I sold it. Had a GT bmx/freestyle bike as well, cant remember the model. My group of friends at the time were like a round robin of bikes. everyone had something different, and we all took turns on each others bikes. many were sold/traded within the group. I liked the sizing of the profile bmx I rode, but couldnt afford it (was just able to drive, so money went toward vehicles.) I had my predator into the early 90s, at a friend of mines house. For some unknown reason, he sold or traded it for a set of corvette rally wheels for his monte carlo.

Had a Schwinn Super LeTour Road bike I bought in 1986. Orthopedic surgeon my sister worked for said I could keep doin bmx and skateboarding and need knee surgery by 18 (which was true for one knee), and very likely knee replacements by 40 (thank goodness that didnt happen). I averaged about 9000 miles a year on that bike down in florida. Had a Kestrel titanium road bike fr a short period, then i let my friend buy out my share of it (we went in halves on it, cause neither of us could afford it on our own). I could never get comfortable on it.

1994 found me buying a 94 GT RTS3 full suspension mtn bike. Bought it for half price as a closeout (was still 650.00) and was a 15 or 16 inch frame (I'm 6'1). It was 2 lbs lighter than the 18 or 19 inch frame. Felt like a bmx bike on bigger tires. My plan was to start training again, and come up to Bryson City for the Tsali race series. Rolled my truck 4 months later, and with bar/seat placement, i could never get comfortable on it. Still have it, on its 3rd set of tires. Mainly a pavement queen, used it to pull a two seat bike trailer for my daughter when she was small.

Last year saw a buying spree in the bike dept. My wife bought a Giatex telescoping travel bike while at the beach last year at a consignment store for 75.00. Its pretty cool. Instead of folding, the single frame tube telescopes in for travel, or out for riding. Bars fold down for easy transport.

My daughter bought a Raleigh rigid tail mtn bike, with disk brakes and a nice suspension fork. Got it at play it again sports for 149.00. Was a previous year model someone bought, and knocked the rear deraileur cable off, and could never get it adjusted....15 mins after gettin it home, linkage was smooth as silk.

I bought an Adventurer folding travel bike at same play it again sports for 60.00. Same deal as above. year old model, 1/6 the price of new.

I'll have to ask my mom if she still has pictures from the track and ramps.

Started on a used BMX bike back in 1976. Continued to ride up through 1985. Mostly jumping stuff and pretending to ride half pipes. Then moved to a 225DX Yamaha 3 wheeler and then 250x Honda 3 wheeler. Off to college, got a trek 800 in 1988. It was stolen in 1990. Replaced it with a used Trek 6000. Mostly commuting at UNC-Wilmington. Moved to Raleigh in 1993, started riding mountain bikes around the area. It was some race ready Diamond Back my friend had. I raced it down in Greenville, NC and got crushed. Then I switched to a Stump jumper Comp (grape color) with a front shock and V-Brakes. Weighted in around 24 lbs. Rode all the trails in Raleigh including Centennial Campus before it was a golf course. Got married and stopped riding. Came back in with the 29er's and disc brakes. Bought a 2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er in 2011. Started riding all the time again. Rode a few endurance races and an Xterra off road tri. This bike was the fastest thing I have ridden off road that didn't have a motor. So fun and fast. Reminded me of snowboarding especially on a correctly designed mountain bike trail with flow. Upgraded a bunch of stuff to carbon. Got the weight down to 27 lbs. Sold this bike two years ago and went back to get my MBA. MBA is over in October 2016. Plan to get another EPIC. The carbon base model.

If I win the lottery.

Specialized: S-Works Epic 29 World Cup

For anyone getting back into biking, try to get a 29er with disc brakes. The bigger wheels eat up roots and really flies once the momentum is up.

Mountain Biking is a blast. 284 in Cary is up to like 14 miles now. Really fun.

Last year saw a buying spree in the bike dept. My wife bought a Giatex telescoping travel bike while at the beach last year at a consignment store for 75.00. Its pretty cool. Instead of folding, the single frame tube telescopes in for travel, or out for riding. Bars fold down for easy transport.

dang Steve, or should I say Larry - you are pretty styling in that video !

Thank God that's not me... the lady at the consignment shop literally said... it's an antique bike for midgets, used in the circus.. to which I replied, it was made in 2009. then the price dropped like a midget on a bike

I love bikes - have a full bike shop in my garage.

I rode a Hutch back in the day, saved up for 2 years to buy that bike from Rockville BMX when I was 13. I loved that bike. . I was mostly a flatland freestyle kid but also rode pipes and ramps. Having that bike got me a job in a bike store - hung out in one stating in 6th grade - then got on the payroll all through HS and college then PT until I was 30 - put 15 years in the bike biz. I really enjoyed that. Rode Fat Chance bikes for the most part with a few Yeti's mixed it. The bike store put me through college, paid for my car and I made many life long friends working there.

These days I ride a Surly Troll and a Salsa El Mariachi but I am about to sell both of those and get a Jones - I need the upright seating position for a bad disc.

Jonny Vee - why didn't you overhaul the bike yourself? Shop rate on an overall is $$$$

The jones is sweet.

We were financially challenged as a child, so like I said in the other thread I had garbage bikes most my life. Was just happy to have a bike at all. However, when I was 8, my neighbor who had expensive bikes had outgrown his Viscount road bike and gave it to me. Rode that for a year or so and outgrew it. Never had the heart to sell/throw it away so I still have that and my brother's Peugeot 26" from back in the day rusting away in my shed.

Flash forward to 2 years ago - and I'm not poor anymore so I finally broke down and bought what most of you guys would probably consider an entry level bike. Diamond Back 29er Overdrive Comp hardtail. I'm out of shape, and have a heart condition, so extreme trail riding is out. But I do enjoy some fast downhill runs though!

@kulangot In college and the first few years after, my house was almost equal parts guitar factory, rehearsal space and bike stuff. I no longer have bike tools and have been out of it for over 10 years. Too lazy and unmotivated. Having the shop do it was equally to motivate me (return on investment!) and to meet a deadline for a trip. And to stimulate the economy. Definitely the economy.

I remember Rockville BMX. That was the place on the wrong side of the river that we all said we'd go everyday when we got cars. I think you know how that turned out. Funny, gas was .90/gal then and was still painful to buy.

@jamesurq How F'n tall were you at 8??? And forget that entry level comment - stuff is so much better for the money nowadays, and all that matters is you have something you can get out on in the first place. Plus, the handlebar streamers that Jonathan and the others have to buy aftermarket aren't covered under the OEM warranty like ours are.

Why have I heard y'all talking about RAD but not PeeWee's Big Adventure? It's only the 2nd greatest bike movie EVER!

any exercise is good exercise James. Youre doin more than the guy who does nothing, and thats what counts.

We need to organize a Uwharrie Wood Run Trail Ride. I unfortunately havent been by the barn yet, but it appears to be very close.

I'm down, I'll be part of the 'slow' group.

So to answer your question John, I was pretty tall but the bike is tiny, a kids version. I tried googling it but all I got was "don't ride it, the aluminum forks are a deathtrap" :)

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Here are mine.

29er steel Vassago Bandersnatch set up as single speed

Surly Pugsley Single Speed

Sorry. Not the best pictures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom